Lawrence of Arabia (1 Disc) -VS- (2 Disc) Set?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lane F., Jun 6, 2003.

1. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I've never seen this movie, and have finally decided to make it a blind purchase. Here's my question, should I get the 1 disc or 2 disc version? The extras really don't concern me much, just the audio/video presentation. I hear the two disc version has the movie spread over both discs, while the one disc version obviously has it all on one disc.

So my question is this: Did the picture quality get hurt as a result of it being stuck all on one disc? I've read that long movies should be spread out over two discs, but from what I know a single layer dvd can hold upto 120 minutes, so wouldn't a dual layered dvd have upto 240 minutes (assuming there aren't multiple soundtracs)?

Anyway, any comments on which set you would recommend would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I have the 2-Disc set, so I cannot comment on the single disc. I would assume the picture to be the same. sicne it is the same transfer, but may suffer as you mentioned from being crammed on one disc. The 2-Disc is very nice, since it has great packaging and some good features. If the transfer is the exact same then you should go with the single disc if the extras don't concern you or if you are tight on cash. I think the 2-Disc set is going OOP.

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Comparison from the Laser Examiner: 2-disc has better video & audio quality.

4. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

The two disc does have a very good documentary on it, it addition to the better video performance. I would suggest the two disc version (a cherished possession of mine).

5. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I'd get the 2-Disc...but I think its OOP...so ya might wanna hurry up and buy it while ya can...its gonna set ya back probably $35 though...while the single DVD release with no extras is only $15...

6. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

wow the single disc version has a nice cover.

anyone know where i can get a scan ?

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

...you think that's a nice cover?.......ugggh, photoshop hack n slash. How about that French LD cover pictured on the Laser Express site?

I highly recommend waiting for the Superbit in September, which THEORETICALLY Mr. Robert Harris is working on

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There is no 1-disc edition. [​IMG]

Superbit edition in September... on region 2 , at least. Will the audio errors and colours be corrected though?

Time, as ever, will tell...

Gordy

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The R1 version is coming, presumably about the same time, but Columbia domestic keeps things close to their hand until they solicit

10. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

The Superbit is gonna be a 2-Disc right?

11. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the 2 disc limited edition set. Got it for a steal, $12.99! In this weeks target ad (today would be the last day) - they had the LE 2 Disc Set on sale for $12.99. Odds are they accidently used the wrong picture (I believe it was the single disc version that was supposed to be on sale). But Circuit City had no problem giving me the price match at $12.99. If anyone else is looking for it, they might want to try their luck at a PM.

12. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i've got the 2 disc version already, but if there is an R1 Superbit release it will be a no brainer purchase for me.

13. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

Groson wrote:

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

15. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Just a warning about seeing LOA for the first time on DVD: while DVD may be your only option, the only way to truly experience everything that makes it a great film is to see it in the theater in 70mm. Case in point: I fell asleep the first time I tried to watch it (on DVD), then I saw it again, at the Senator, in 70mm, and now it is one of my favorite movies.

16. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

17. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

That's very true, but LOA was just such an amazing experience in the theater that seeing it any other way completely pales in comparison, and there are few movies I would say that about.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

But LOA needs to be seen big because the sand appears incredible as it blows around on a huge screen. I suppose one could say the same thing about the blades of grass on the hills in the Sound of Music, but for some reason seeing sand on a huge screen is a whole different experience.

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

No, there is no 1-disc edition!

Looks like a bootleg to me. Yeah, must be a boot. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gord

20. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Jeff, has the Superbit LOA actually been confirmed, or is it just a rumor at this point? September's not far off at all, and I can't find anything concrete about it...