What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blindness / {Proof} -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one sums the running time of these Blindness and {Proof}, the number is 222 minutes -- the length of the original uncut Lawrence of Arabia, or alternatively Gone with the Wind. Plus special features.

This new disc, one of a series of double bills from Echo Bridge is now up on Amazon at $19.99, which is quite close to $20.

The current Blu-ray of {Proof} at $7.99 plus the Blu-ray of Blindness at $12.29 works out to $20.28.

Which means that if a consumer only wishes to own one, they're better off buying singly, and if one keeps their discs in their library in alpha order, for the additional 29 cents, the single disc is also the better way to go.

But math aside, I sampled this disc, and having heard of quality problems with Echo Bridge discs in the past, was alert to potential shortcuts.

I really didn't find any. A bit of odd background grain, but nothing untoward, certainly not noticeable if one is sitting the proper distance from the screen.

These are to very interesting and worthwhile films -- although I'm not sure why they make a double bill -- and they look and sound just fine.

I'm confused by the price, and the re-issue, but have no real problems with quality.

If there have been major quality problems with EB in the past, it appears that they turned a corner, or there may have been no problems with these titles. As a BD-50, this may simply be both layers of the original BD-25s, with a new menu.

While I would probably consult with my financial advisors toward purchasing the single titles for the additional investment, if one is desirous of owning both, this works out just fine, and saves both plastic and shelf space.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
I take it this double feature has no extras?
I wonder how Blindness looks compared to the individual release for it? That one was reportedly, on Blu-ray.com to have the 2 hour feature and another 1 1/2 of HD extras on a BD-25 versus this one apparently having the same amount for both 'Blindness' and Proof on a BD-50. Is that likely to offer any noticeable improvement on 'Blindness' versus the stand alone release?
The thing that gets me about the way Echo Bridge releases things, and the reason I just end up skipping many releases I otherwise would buy right away, is their constant re-packaging of titles yet often featuring quality differences. They are like grab bag releases. Other than the name of the film, one never knows what is inside.
Sometimes the individual release will offer something like the wrong aspect ratio or lossy audio yet be lossless or the right aspect ratio in another release or vice versa. It seems like they spend time and money with multiple different encodes but all feature some odd compromise in the aspect ratio, audio, which cut of a film, too much per BD-50, extras, etc.
If they would just get the aspect ratio, lossless audio and retain the extras all in the same release I would own a ton. Eg. I passed on 'Proof' because it omitted the extras their site once listed as coming with (from the DVD). I passed on 'Blindness' due to concerns of 3 1/2 hour of HD on a BD-25. I'll pass on the double feature because it omits the extras for 'Blindness'.
I would have bought both if 'Proof' retained its extras and 'Blindness' were on a BD-50 (still waiting for additional reviews before buying this to make sure the 3 1/2 hours of HD on the BD-25 isn't too much of a compromise). Instead I'll wait to see if some future Echo Bridge release doesn't add the extras for 'Proof' before doing so.
The same aspect ratio, lossless, which cut, extras concerns in one form or another for all these.
The Night Listener / Benefit of the Doubt
The Hole / Venom
Cursed / Wes Craven Presents: They
The Crossing Guard / The Human Stain
Becoming Jane / Jane Eyre
Men of War / Bravo Two Zero
Impostor / Final Encounter
Texas Rangers / Dead Man
Darkness / Below
Too Young to Die? / The Yards
O
Equilibrium / Renaissance
People I Know / Albino Alligator / Ordinary Decent Criminal
The Prophecy series
The Jackie Chan films
eXistenZ / Malevolent / B. Monkey
The Lookout
Duplex / My Boss's Daughter
Last Night
They make it so difficult to buy their releases unless one doesn't mind if one aspect or another is missing/incorrect.
I can understand if they want the double features to be the movies only but it isn't like the stand alone releases all feature correct aspect ratios, the original audio track in lossless audio with extras and the double features just omit the extras. One never knows what any given release will be since they don't seem willing to accurately list them on the covers either (and the couple inquiries I've made via email do not yield a reply).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /t/323220/a-few-words-about-blindness-proof-in-blu-ray#post_3966367
I take it this double feature has no extras?
I wonder how Blindness looks compared to the individual release for it? That one was reportedly, on Blu-ray.com to have the 2 hour feature and another 1 1/2 of HD extras on a BD-25 versus this one apparently having the same amount for both 'Blindness' and Proof on a BD-50. Is that likely to offer any noticeable improvement on 'Blindness' versus the stand alone release?
The thing that gets me about the way Echo Bridge releases things, and the reason I just end up skipping many releases I otherwise would buy right away, is their constant re-packaging of titles yet often featuring quality differences. They are like grab bag releases. Other than the name of the film, one never knows what is inside.
Sometimes the individual release will offer something like the wrong aspect ratio or lossy audio yet be lossless or the right aspect ratio in another release or vice versa. It seems like they spend time and money with multiple different encodes but all feature some odd compromise in the aspect ratio, audio, which cut of a film, too much per BD-50, extras, etc.
If they would just get the aspect ratio, lossless audio and retain the extras all in the same release I would own a ton. Eg. I passed on 'Proof' because it omitted the extras their site once listed as coming with (from the DVD). I passed on 'Blindness' due to concerns of 3 1/2 hour of HD on a BD-25. I'll pass on the double feature because it omits the extras for 'Blindness'.
I would have bought both if 'Proof' retained its extras and 'Blindness' were on a BD-50 (still waiting for additional reviews before buying this to make sure the 3 1/2 hours of HD on the BD-25 isn't too much of a compromise). Instead I'll wait to see if some future Echo Bridge release doesn't add the extras for 'Proof' before doing so.
The same aspect ratio, lossless, which cut, extras concerns in one form or another for all these.
The Night Listener / Benefit of the Doubt
The Hole / Venom
Cursed / Wes Craven Presents: They
The Crossing Guard / The Human Stain
Becoming Jane / Jane Eyre
Men of War / Bravo Two Zero
Impostor / Final Encounter
Texas Rangers / Dead Man
Darkness / Below
Too Young to Die? / The Yards
O
Equilibrium / Renaissance
People I Know / Albino Alligator / Ordinary Decent Criminal
The Prophecy series
The Jackie Chan films
eXistenZ / Malevolent / B. Monkey
The Lookout
Duplex / My Boss's Daughter
Last Night
They make it so difficult to buy their releases unless one doesn't mind if one aspect or another is missing/incorrect.
I can understand if they want the double features to be the movies only but it isn't like the stand alone releases all feature correct aspect ratios, the original audio track in lossless audio with extras and the double features just omit the extras. One never knows what any given release will be since they don't seem willing to accurately list them on the covers either (and the couple inquiries I've made via email do not yield a reply).

Blindness has as extras:

A Vision of Blindness

{Proof} includes deleted scenes, Making of Proof, and a commentary with Mr. Madden.

Audio on both are DTS 5.1

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Harris said:
Blindness has as extras:
A Vision of Blindness
{Proof} includes deleted scenes, Making of Proof, and a commentary with Mr. Madden.
Audio on both are DTS 5.1
Thank you so much RAH.
Glad I passed on the individual releases since it sounds like this improved on those by including the Proof extras at the very least. I would have been very hesitant hearing there is 5+ hours of HD on the BD-50 so appreciate your reviewing this one. Any chance The Crossing Guard / The Human Stain is in your queue?
I really hope Echo Bridge will start to consistently offer releases such as this now. OAR, lossless original audio track and retain the extras means they earn a loyal customer from me.
Re: the Blindness extras. Does it also have the 36 minute 'The Seeing Eye' featurette and 6 minutes of deleted scenes its individual release has?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /t/323220/a-few-words-about-blindness-proof-in-blu-ray#post_3966424
Thank you so much RAH.
Glad I passed on the individual releases since it sounds like this improved on those by including the Proof extras at the very least. I would have been very hesitant hearing there is 5+ hours of HD on the BD-50 so appreciate your reviewing this one. Any chance The Crossing Guard / The Human Stain is in your queue?
On my list, when I can find a moment.

RAH

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
AnthonyP said:
Re: the Blindness extras. Does it also have the 36 minute 'The Seeing Eye' featurette and 6 minutes of deleted scenes its individual release has?
I guess I spoke too soon. This double feature does inexplicably remove those two features that are available on the individual Blindness release based on a forum post. So it means having to buy both in order to get all of the extras for Proof and 'Blindness'.
Typical Echo Bridge. Can't just make it easy to buy their releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmCaudata