What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (18 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master!

HIGH NOON (1952)
Starring Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Thomas Mitchell, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Otto Kruger, Lee Van Cleef, Lon Chaney Jr., Harry Morgan, Ian MacDonald, Sheb Wooley & Robert J. Wilke – Shot by Floyd Crosby (Man in the Dark) – Music by Dimitri Tiomkin (Rio Bravo) – Screenplay by Carl Foreman (The Bridge on the the River Kwai) – Produced by Stanley Kramer (Judgment at Nuremberg) – Directed by Fred Zinnemann (From Here to Eternity).

Oscar Winner: Best Actor (Cooper)
Oscar Winner: Best Editing (Elmo Williams, Harry Gerstad)
Oscar Winner: Best Song (Tiomkin, Ned Washington)
Oscar Winner: Best Score (Tiomkin)
Oscar Nominee: Best Picture (Kramer)
Oscar Nominee: Best Director (Zinnnemann)
Oscar Nominee: Best Screenplay (Foreman)

1684681255368.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And what is this master FROM? If it's the same source as the other releases we should know that.
Since the 2019 MOC Blu-ray and 2016 Olive Signature Blu-ray stated they were derived from probably the same 4K digital restoration. I'm hoping Kino tells us this a newer 4K scan.

1684682174888.png
1684682200904.png

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Is this 4k only? I hope it’s packed full of bonus features… there are a couple of great “making of” features out there…

I will get it if it is on Blu and an upgrade from the previous release.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Since the 2019 MOC Blu-ray and 2016 Olive Signature Blu-ray stated they were derived from probably the same 4K digital restoration. I'm hoping Kino tells us this a newer 4K scan.

View attachment 184355 View attachment 184356
If a 16-bit 4K scan was done already, I doubt we would do a new scan, why would we. But since there's no HDR/Dolby Vision master, the restoration would be a new one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If a 16-bit 4K scan was done already, I doubt we would do a new scan, why would we. But since there's no HDR/Dolby Vision master, the restoration would be a new one.
Some people like Robert Harris would argue that adding a layer of HDR/Dolby Vision isn't really a restoration. IMO, they have a valid point.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Some people like Robert Harris would argue that adding a layer of HDR/Dolby Vision isn't really a restoration. IMO, they have a valid point.
Using the “old” 4k scan is the sensible way to go. I can see zero rationale for Kino to support a new one. Whether HDR is added or not, and I would prefer not, the earlier restorative functions - clean-up of scratches, tears (if any) would suffice as a simple form of restoration in my book.

Let’s just hope that the 4k .dpx files from the base scan were saved to LTO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Using the “old” 4k scan is the sensible way to go. I can see zero rationale for Kino to support a new one. Whether HDR is added or not, and I would prefer not, the earlier restorative functions - clean-up of scratches, tears (if any) would suffice as a simple form of restoration in my book.

Let’s just hope that the 4k .dpx files from the base scan were saved to LTO.
Well, it looks like the decision to add HDR has been made. As to the rest of your comments, I totally agree with you.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Would the use of HDR somehow over sharpen the picture and add graininess or noise, modify black levels detrimentally? I suppose it is dependent on who’s handling the processing and how carefully.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Would the use of HDR somehow over sharpen the picture and add graininess or noise, modify black levels detrimentally? I suppose it is dependent on who’s handling the processing and how carefully.
Other black and white films from that film era like 12 Angry Men, Paths of Glory and The Killing looked fine with HDR that Kino released on 4K/UHD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Olive Signature Blu looks great, but this is a definite upgrade for me. I felt that Olive's supplements were a bit on the light side for their Signature line, especially compared to Eureka's. Count me in for the remastered He Walked By Night as well, as I only have the triple feature single disc ClassicFlix released that also included T-Men and Raw Deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks