What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (19 Viewers)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I think the deleted post was mine. Well, I know since I don't see it anymore. My apologies. The titles I listed were not intended as a wishlist per se, just a representation of the types of films I would like to see more of from Kino. Won't happen again :)

There is something I would like clarification on. There are two Kino threads on this forum. I'm still a little vague on what is and is not allowed on each thread despite the disclaimers. So every time Kino announces a new title, this is the correct forum to discuss that specifically without requesting titles? So what is the other Kino thread for and are we allowed to post wishlists on that thread? Or are wishlists entirely prohibited?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the deleted post was mine. Well, I know since I don't see it anymore. My apologies. The titles I listed were not intended as a wishlist per se, just a representation of the types of films I would like to see more of from Kino. Won't happen again :)

There is something I would like clarification on. There are two Kino threads on this forum. I'm still a little vague on what is and is not allowed on each thread despite the disclaimers. So every time Kino announces a new title, this is the correct forum to discuss that specifically without requesting titles? So what is the other Kino thread for and are we allowed to post wishlists on that thread? Or are wishlists entirely prohibited?
The other thread can be used for title requests in a reasonable manner. This particular thread is only for Kino announcements and the discussion of said announcements.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 13th!

JUGGERNAUT (1974)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• TV Spot
• Theatrical Trailer
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Newly Encoded on Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 110 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
The Greatest Sea Adventure in History Has Just Begun!
The high seas have never been more terrifying than in this riveting, tension-packed adventure directed by the great Richard Lester (The Knack … and How to Get It, The Three Musketeers, Cuba, Superman II). Screen legends Richard Harris (The Long and the Short and the Tall, The Wild Geese) and Omar Sharif (Doctor Zhivago, The Tamarind Seed) head an all-star cast that includes the extraordinary Anthony Hopkins (When Eight Bells Toll, The Silence of the Lambs), David Hemmings (Crossed Swords, Murder by Decree), Shirley Knight (The Group, The Rain People) and Ian Holm (The Homecoming, Alien) in an edge-of-the-seat shipboard thriller! HMS Britannic is caught in a storm at sea. But the real terror is on board—seven bombs planted by a terrorist calling himself Juggernaut, who demands a high ransom in exchange for the passengers’ lives. Bomb expert Fallon (Harris) is flown to the ship and, as negotiations break down, he struggles with the most challenging job of his life in a race against time! The Stellar cast also includes Clifton James (The Reivers) and Roy Kinnear (How I Won the War).

738329263034.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 6th!

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964)
• Over 24 Hours of extensive shot-by-shot color grading of the logarithmic restored 4K files provided by L’Immagine Ritrovata
• Audio Commentary by Novelist and Critic Tim Lucas
• Audio Commentary by Noted Film Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
• Interview with Actress Marianne Koch
• The Christopher Frayling Archives: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
• A New Kind of Hero
• A Few Weeks in Spain: Clint Eastwood on the Experience of Making the Film
• Tre Voci: Three Friends Remember Sergio Leone
• Not Ready for Primetime: Renowned Filmmaker Monte Hellman Discusses the Television Broadcast of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
• The Network Prologue with Harry Dean Stanton
• Location Comparisons: Then to Now
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with John Badham
• Three Image Galleries
• Archival Outtakes
• Radio Spots
• Double Bill Trailer
• Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround and Original 2.0 Mono
• Double-Layered BD50 Disc

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965)
• The Complete Restored Edit of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE with Extensive Shot-by-Shot Color Grading
• Audio Commentary by Novelist and Critic Tim Lucas
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
• On location in Almería and Granada with Filmmaker Alex Cox
• The Christopher Frayling Archives: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
• A New Standard: Frayling on FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
• Back for More: Clint Eastwood Remembers FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
• Tre Voci: Three Friends Remember Sergio Leone
• FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE: The Original American Release Version Featurette
• Location Comparisons
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Ernest Dickerson
• Four Image Galleries
• Radio Spots
• Double Bill Trailer and Radio Spot
• Two Theatrical Trailers
• Correctly Synched 2.0 Mono and 5.1 Surround Audio

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)
• 162-Minute Theatrical Cut - Over 30 hours of extensive shot-by-shot color grading and a 4K scan of a 1967 IB tech print as the secondary source to restore the theatrical cut to its original glory.
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Leone's West: Making of Documentary
• Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and GBU Featurette Parts 1 & 2
• The Leone Style: On Sergio Leone Featurette
• The Man Who Lost the Civil War: Civil War Documentary
• Reconstruction GBU (Extended Cut)
• Deleted Scenes and Vignettes
• Alternate Scene: The Optical Flip
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Ernest Dickerson
• Two Image Galleries
• Original American, German and French Trailers
• Radio Spot
• English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround and Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Eastwood_Leone.jpg

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964)
• Over 24 Hours of extensive shot-by-shot color grading of the logarithmic restored 4K files provided by L’Immagine Ritrovata

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965)
• The Complete Restored Edit of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE with Extensive Shot-by-Shot Color Grading

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)
• 162-Minute Theatrical Cut - Over 30 hours of extensive shot-by-shot color grading and a 4K scan of a 1967 IB tech print as the secondary source to restore the theatrical cut to its original glory.

Are these different color grades than the 4K Ultra HD editions? Or are these just standalone Blu-ray editions of that same work?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Are these different color grades than the 4K Ultra HD editions? Or are these just standalone Blu-ray editions of that same work?

That's what I was wondering. TGTB&TU has the cover art of the Kino Blu-ray version that preceded the 4K version, but the description sounds more like the 4K unless there has been another scan or color re-grade since then.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
They are the exact same discs as the second discs of the 4K releases.

The old Blu-ray editions are now OOP and are now replaced with these better editions.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coming June 13th!

JUGGERNAUT (1974)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• TV Spot
• Theatrical Trailer

The Greatest Sea Adventure in History Has Just Begun!
The high seas have never been more terrifying than in this riveting, tension-packed adventure directed by the great Richard Lester (The Knack … and How to Get It, The Three Musketeers, Cuba, Superman II). Screen legends Richard Harris (The Long and the Short and the Tall, The Wild Geese) and Omar Sharif (Doctor Zhivago, The Tamarind Seed) head an all-star cast that includes the extraordinary Anthony Hopkins (When Eight Bells Toll, The Silence of the Lambs), David Hemmings (Crossed Swords, Murder by Decree), Shirley Knight (The Group, The Rain People) and Ian Holm (The Homecoming, Alien) in an edge-of-the-seat shipboard thriller! HMS Britannic is caught in a storm at sea. But the real terror is on board—seven bombs planted by a terrorist calling himself Juggernaut, who demands a high ransom in exchange for the passengers’ lives. Bomb expert Fallon (Harris) is flown to the ship and, as negotiations break down, he struggles with the most challenging job of his life in a race against time! The Stellar cast also includes Clifton James (The Reivers) and Roy Kinnear (How I Won the War).

View attachment 180681

"Newly-encoded" does not relate whether or not this is a new scan (2K?). Would be nice to know, as the original Blu-ray is pretty mediocre.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
"Newly-encoded" does not relate whether or not this is a new scan (2K?). Would be nice to know, as the original Blu-ray is pretty mediocre.
If there was a new scan, we would've mentioned it.

It's the same transfer, but encoded at a higher bit rate and on a dual-layered BD50 disc, giving the feature 30mbps or more. So it should look better than the previous release that was on a BD25 single layered disc. We also added a new audio commentary and a TV Spot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, post your comments about Kino’s sale in the thread linked below. Thank you.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 13th!

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1978)
• Audio Commentary by Writer/Director Michael Crichton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Two TV Spots
• Reversible Art

All aboard for runaway action and suspense in this riveting masterpiece from legendary writer/director Michael Crichton (Westworld, Coma)! Sean Connery (Goldfinger, The Anderson Tapes, Cuba), Donald Sutherland (Klute, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Crackers) and Lesley-Anne Down (Brannigan, The Pink Panthers Strikes Again, Sphinx) star in this “spine-tingling and suavely performed” adventure (The Hollywood Reporter) based on history’s first train robbery. Stunningly shot by the great cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A Space Odyssey, Murder on the Orient Express), this “ingenious” (Variety) crime caper delivers mile-a-minute thrills and breathtaking excitement. Connery is Edward Pierce, a master thief who conceives a brilliant plan to steal a fortune in gold bars from a railroad payroll car. But to pull off the most daring heist in history, Pierce must join forces with a safecracker (Sutherland) and his own beautiful girlfriend (Down) in a series of intricately plotted thefts that will test all of their nerve, camaraderie and larcenous skill.

Great Train Robbery.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Coming June 13th!

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1978)
• Audio Commentary by Writer/Director Michael Crichton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Two TV Spots
• Reversible Art

All aboard for runaway action and suspense in this riveting masterpiece from legendary writer/director Michael Crichton (Westworld, Coma)! Sean Connery (Goldfinger, The Anderson Tapes, Cuba), Donald Sutherland (Klute, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Crackers) and Lesley-Anne Down (Brannigan, The Pink Panthers Strikes Again, Sphinx) star in this “spine-tingling and suavely performed” adventure (The Hollywood Reporter) based on history’s first train robbery. Stunningly shot by the great cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A Space Odyssey, Murder on the Orient Express), this “ingenious” (Variety) crime caper delivers mile-a-minute thrills and breathtaking excitement. Connery is Edward Pierce, a master thief who conceives a brilliant plan to steal a fortune in gold bars from a railroad payroll car. But to pull off the most daring heist in history, Pierce must join forces with a safecracker (Sutherland) and his own beautiful girlfriend (Down) in a series of intricately plotted thefts that will test all of their nerve, camaraderie and larcenous skill.

View attachment 180864
• Newly Encoded on Dual-Layered BD50 Disc - So, an upgrade to a dule layered BD formated disc, utilizing an older master...no 4K restoration from OCN, or the such? That's a gray area for me, please let me know, thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks