What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Finally! I've been hoping for this one for quite awhile. A remarkable film.

I totally agree! The DVD is kind of on the negative side of so-so, and knowing Kino's usual quality, I look forward to this release. As Thomas said, it is a remarkable film, and I wonder how many members here have seen it. It tells the story of an aged Alice, who when young was the subject of Rev. Charles Dodgson's series of books about Alice's fantasy adventures in Wonderland, written under his pen name, Lewis Carroll.

The old woman has been cajoled into attending an event in her honor, in which she will receive an honorary degree from Columbia University. She agrees only reluctantly because some of the memories of her youth and the obsessive/possessive Dodgson were are less than comforting. These memories lead to three fantasy segments featuring the ten-year-old Alice exploring the nightmarish world of Wonderland as the author had written them. The creatures are the creations of Jim Henson and Co., with similarities to some of the ones populating THE DARK CRYSTAL.

This is an absorbing sort-of biographical look at a slice-of-life of the woman who had once inspired the writing that fascinates children even to this day.

Wonderful production values, and fine acting by Ian Holm and all else involved.

Can't wait to see this looking really good, as it disappeared from theaters in 1985 so fast that few even knew it existed. It barely turned up on t.v. The VHS edition was unwatchable, and the subsequent DVD only passable.

Thanks, Kino! Again.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have Only seen Dreamchild once upon its initial release on videotape. I really look forward to owning a copy on Blu as I found it a remarkable film on my single viewing and would like to become more familiar with it.
Thank you KL for giving us this cinematic gem to savour again and again.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

A Dandy in Aspic (1968)
Starring Laurence Harvey, Mia Farrow, Tom Courtney, Harry Andrews, Peter Cook, Lionel Stander, Per Oscarsson & Calvin Lockhart – Shot by Christopher Challis (Arabesque) – Music by Quincy Jones (The Getaway) – Written by Derek Marlowe (The Disappearance) – Directed by Anthony Mann (The Naked Spur, The Heroes of Telemark) & Lawrence Harvey (Welcome to Arrow Beach).

View attachment 138466
Wondering if this will be a new remaster. I have the region free Blu from Indicator and the transfer leaves much to be desired. Just checking.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master by MGM!
Featuring the Creations of Jim Henson!

Dreamchild (1985)
Starring Ian Holm, Coral Browne, Peter Gallagher, Jane Asher, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, Amelia Shankley & the Voices of Julie Walters, Fulton Mackay, Alan Bennett, Tony Haygarth, Steve Whitmire & Frank Middlemass – Shot by Billy Williams (The Silent Partner, Gandhi) – Music by Stanley Myers (The Deer Hunter, The Witches) – Written by Dennis Potter (Pennies from Heaven, Gorky Park) – Directed by Gavin Millar (Secrets).

View attachment 138518
This really is the kind of elegant, creative film they just don't make anymore. This is a great release Kino!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon!
Brand New 2K/3-D Restoration by 3-D Film Archive!
Includes the BD3D Polarized / Anaglyphic (Red/Cyan) 3-D & 2D Versions

Bwana Devil (1952) Starring Robert Stack, Barbara Britton & Nigel Bruce – Shot by Joseph F. Biroc (The Towering Inferno) – Written & Directed by Arch Oboler (Five, The Twonky, The Bubble) – “Time for Beany” Sequence Written & Directed by Animation Legend Robert Clampett (Porky’s Pooch, The Wacky Wabbit, Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid).

BD3D.jpg

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I wouldn't call this movie garbage. Bwana Devil is a better 3D movie than Arch Oboler's other two titles, especially Domo Arigato (which is just plain boring). Actually, I suspect that the film's unfortunate reputation has as much to do with the flat rear screen projection in various scenes as anything else. Robert Stack, Barbara Britton, and Nigel Bruce give it all they have. The 3D in the non-rear screen projection scenes is pretty nice, too.

I've seen way worse 3D movies than Bwana Devil, that's for sure. It will be a welcome addition to the collection. Besides, it's a historically important 3D movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New 2K Master!

Number One with a Bullet (1987)
Starring Robert Carradine, Billy Dee Williams, Valerie Bertinelli, Peter Graves, Doris Roberts, Mykelti Williamson & Jon Gries – Shot by Alex Phillips (Murphy’s Law) – Music by Alf Clausen (Moonlighting) – Produced by Golan & Globus (Runaway Train) – Screenplay by Gail Morgan Hickman (The Enforcer), Andrew Kurtzman (See No Evil, Hear No Evil), Rob Riley (Saturday Night Live) & James Belushi (The Birthday Boy) – Directed by Jack Smight (Harper, No Way to Treat a Lady, Airport 1975, Damnation Alley).

1653145264531.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

New HDR Dolby Vision Master by Paramount Pictures!

Tropic Thunder (2008)
Starring Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Jay Baruchel, Brandon T. Jackson, Steve Coogan, Nick Nolte, Matthew McConaughey, Danny McBride, Bill Hader & Tom Cruise – Shot by John Toll (Braveheart) – Music by Theodore Shapiro (Blades of Glory) – Screenplay by Justin Theroux (Iron Man 2), Ben Stiller (Zoolander) & Etan Cohen (Men in Black 3) – Directed by Ben Stiller (The Cable Guy, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty).

1653231970126.png

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I wouldn't call this movie garbage. Bwana Devil is a better 3D movie than Arch Oboler's other two titles, especially Domo Arigato (which is just plain boring). Actually, I suspect that the film's unfortunate reputation has as much to do with the flat rear screen projection in various scenes as anything else. Robert Stack, Barbara Britton, and Nigel Bruce give it all they have. The 3D in the non-rear screen projection scenes is pretty nice, too.

I've seen way worse 3D movies than Bwana Devil, that's for sure. It will be a welcome addition to the collection. Besides, it's a historically important 3D movie.
Always thought it was a lost film

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
3-D aspect aside, BWANA DEVIL was never a critically-praised movie. But Oboler's end-of-the-world melodrama FIVE (1951) is a surprisingly impressive work, and still packs a punch. The current Aussie release (Via Vision/Imprint) is taken from an OCN, and does justice to the film's moody b/w photography.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Always thought it was a lost film

I was going to say "definitely not", but that's rather obvious.

I believe that the short with Beany & Cecil that accompanied the film, and explained the 3D process, was considered lost. But I recall seeing that back in the 80s when the first attempt was made to show 3D on television. I was thinking that it was Bwana Devil, but it might've been Gorilla at Large. Whichever film it was, the B&C short was shown with it. I was excited by that more than the film it accompanied. Beany & Cecil was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and I was thrilled to see this short, because it was the first time I got to see the original puppet versions of the characters.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I was going to say "definitely not", but that's rather obvious.

I believe that the short with Beany & Cecil that accompanied the film, and explained the 3D process, was considered lost. But I recall seeing that back in the 80s when the first attempt was made to show 3D on television. I was thinking that it was Bwana Devil, but it might've been Gorilla at Large. Whichever film it was, the B&C short was shown with it. I was excited by that more than the film it accompanied. Beany & Cecil was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and I was thrilled to see this short, because it was the first time I got to see the original puppet versions of the characters.

1653249796023.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    papill6n
    Recent bookmarks