What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (12 Viewers)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was going to say "definitely not", but that's rather obvious.

I believe that the short with Beany & Cecil that accompanied the film, and explained the 3D process, was considered lost. But I recall seeing that back in the 80s when the first attempt was made to show 3D on television. I was thinking that it was Bwana Devil, but it might've been Gorilla at Large. Whichever film it was, the B&C short was shown with it. I was excited by that more than the film it accompanied. Beany & Cecil was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and I was thrilled to see this short, because it was the first time I got to see the original puppet versions of the characters.
Looking forward to the Beany & Cecil short for slightly different reasons: (1) I love Bob Clampett’s work; and (2) it provides context for the gags in Pinky and the Brain’s “Puppet Rulers”.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 2nd!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-octagon-special-edition-blu-ray

The Octagon (1980)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Action Film Historians Brandon Bentley and Mike Leeder
• Audio Commentary by Director Eric Karson
• The Making of THE OCTAGON (39:24)
• 4 Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 103 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Martial arts superstar Chuck Norris (A Force of One, Code of Silence) teams up with screen legend Lee Van Cleef (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Death Rides a Horse) to take on a terrorist training camp known only as The Octagon in this deadly tale of revenge! Plagued by painful memories as a fighter, Scott James (Norris) has stayed away from the dark side of battle. But when a vengeance-seeking heiress (Karen Carlson, The Candidate) hires him to infiltrate an international terrorist operation run by his adopted brother (Tadashi Yamashita, American Ninja), Scott has no idea what he’s coming up against. Drawn closer and closer to The Octagon, Scott realizes his brother is using his skill in the deadliest manner, training men in the ninja style of killing. Now it’s up to Scott to battle his brother in the ultimate showdown of Good vs. Evil! Directed by Eric Karson (Black Eagle, Angel Town) and co-starring Richard Norton (Force: Five), Art Hindle (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Aaron Norris (Lone Wolf McQuade) and Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), The Octagon is filled with hard-hitting Norris vs. Ninjas action!

Octagon.jpg

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

New HDR Dolby Vision Master by Paramount Pictures!

Tropic Thunder (2008)
Starring Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Jay Baruchel, Brandon T. Jackson, Steve Coogan, Nick Nolte, Matthew McConaughey, Danny McBride, Bill Hader & Tom Cruise – Shot by John Toll (Braveheart) – Music by Theodore Shapiro (Blades of Glory) – Screenplay by Justin Theroux (Iron Man 2), Ben Stiller (Zoolander) & Etan Cohen (Men in Black 3) – Directed by Ben Stiller (The Cable Guy, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty).

View attachment 139459
kinda surprised that this comedy gets a 4K+Dolby Vision HDR treatment... i just couldn't imagine what kind of benefits can be experienced with the enhancements.

i was expecting We Were Soldiers though. where there are night attack scenes which could be challenging for DV treatment.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
kinda surprised that this comedy gets a 4K+Dolby Vision HDR treatment... i just couldn't imagine what kind of benefits can be experienced with the enhancements.

i was expecting We Were Soldiers though. where there are night attack scenes which could be challenging for DV treatment.
It's a beautifully shot, action-packed cinematic film in scope by two time Oscar winner John Toll (Braveheart, The Thin Red Line, Legends of the Fall, Vanilla Sky). It's not like we're releasing a Pauly Shore film on 4K. I think it will very much benefit from the enhancements. It's a better looking film than We Were Soldiers.

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 2nd!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/catch-the-heat-blu-ray

Catch the Heat (1987)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card

Color 87 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Tiana Alexandra (The Killer Elite) is Checkers Goldberg. She’s tough and she’s deadly. Like a one-woman strike force, she punches, kicks and shoots her way from the streets of San Francisco to the underbelly of South America in the sizzling, action-packed thrill-ride, Catch the Heat. Following a grisly trail of violence to Buenos Aires, Checkers masquerades as exotic dancer Cinderella Pu and discovers that kingpin Jason Hannibal—deviously played by screen great Rod Steiger (A Fistful of Dynamite)—is smuggling heroin out of the country by surgically implanting the contraband inside the bodies of unsuspecting young women. Pretending to submit to Hannibal’s gruesome operation, Checkers is suddenly plunged into the ultimate confrontation where only her wits and blazing martial arts savvy can save her. Co-starring David Dukes (Rawhead Rex), Professor Toru Tanaka (An Eye for an Eye, The Perfect Weapon) and Brian Thompson (Cobra), this explosive ’80s actioner features direction by Joel Silberg (Breakin’, Rappin’, Lambada) from a script by award-winning screenwriter Stirling Silliphant (In the Heat of the Night, Charly, The Towering Inferno).

CTH.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 2nd!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/good-guys-wear-black-special-edition-blu-ray

Good Guys Wear Black (1978)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Action Film Historians Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
• The Making of GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK (8:34)
• TV Spot
• 2 Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card

Color 95 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Ted Post, the acclaimed director of Hang ’Em High, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Magnum Force, Go Tell the Spartans and Nightkill, comes the explosive martial arts classic Good Guys Wear Black. In the role that launched him into stardom, the legendary Chuck Norris (A Force of One, Code of Silence) is John T. Booker, an ex-Vietnam commando whose war actions have landed him at the top of the CIA’s hit list. Aided by a beautiful Senate investigator (Anne Archer, Narrow Margin), Booker unravels a devious scheme of treachery and intrigue in this stunt-filled, action-packed thriller, filmed against the backgrounds of championship auto racing, the ski slopes of Squaw Valley and the backrooms of Washington, D.C. Co-starring James Franciscus (The Greek Tycoon), Lloyd Haynes (The Greatest), Dana Andrews (The Satan Bug), Jim Backus (TV’s Gilligan’s Island), Soon-Tek Oh (Missing in Action 2) and featuring the first screen appearance by Norris’ brother Aaron Norris (Lone Wolf McQuade).

GGWB.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's a beautifully shot, action-packed cinematic film in scope by two time Oscar winner John Toll (Braveheart, The Thin Red Line, Legends of the Fall, Vanilla Sky). It's not like we're releasing a Pauly Shore film on 4K. I think it will very much benefit from the enhancements. It's a better looking film than We Were Soldiers.
Correct. Beautiful work from Mr. Toll, which should translate beautifully to 4k HDR.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 2nd!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/a-force-of-one-special-edition-blu-ray

A Force of One (1979)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Action Film Historians Brandon Bentley and Mike Leeder
• Audio Commentary by Director Paul Aaron
• The Making of A FORCE OF ONE (15:26)
• 4 TV Spots
• 5 Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Limited Edition O-Card

Color 90 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
One by one, a squad of undercover narcotics agents is being eliminated by a mysterious assassin. Those felled are left virtually unmarked, except for one cruel death mark—the work of a lethal martial artist. To help discover the identity of the karate killer, the police enlist the aid of Matt Logan (undefeated six-time world karate champion Chuck Norris, An Eye for an Eye, Code of Silence), who’s training to defend his title against Jerry Sparks (kickboxer Bill “Superfoot” Wallace, The Protector). Amanda Rust (Jennifer O’Neill, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud), a key member of the undercover team, is the first to put the pieces together. Can she warn Logan before he steps into the ring? Directed by Paul Aaron (Deadly Force) and co-starring Clu Gulager (The Return of the Living Dead) and Ron O’Neal (Super Fly), this high-voltage thriller is bursting with non-stop action and suspense!

FORCE_OF_ONE_OCARD_flat.jpg

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
Received the Kino upgraded remastered 4k Leone films yesterday. THANK YOU KINO for what you did for these epic films. Most especially FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE. It has always been my favorite. And Kino went back and added all these little extra snippets that we fanatics love. Had a fantastic afternoon yesterday going back to my child hood and rewatching them all again. The work done on these editions... I've bought every version of these, from VHS to laserdisc, all the dvd editions. These remasters are truly, absolutely, the Ultimate editions.

Thanks Kino, for going to the extra trouble and doing ‘em all again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Master by MGM!

LONELYHEARTS (1958)
Starring Montgomery Clift, Robert Ryan, Myrna Loy, Dolores Hart, Maureen Stapleton & Jackie Coogan – Shot by John Alton (He Walked by Night, Elmer Gantry) – Directed by Vincent J. Donehue (Sunrise at Campobello).
Academy Award Nomination: Best Supporting Actress (Stapleton)

1653750044319.png

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Regarding Tropic Thunder, does

New HDR Dolby Vision Master by Paramount Pictures!
Mean it is different than the HDR Dolby Vision master I own on Vudu?

And any info on wether the directors cut or extras will be included?

The Vudu stream looks great, but I would easily purchase on disc if the directors cut is included in 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Brand New HDR Dolby Vision Master!

LEVIATHAN (1989)
Starring Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays, Daniel Stern, Ernie Hudson, Lisa Eilbacher, Hector Elizondo & Meg Foster – Shot by Alex Thomson (Excalibur) – Music by Jerry Goldsmith (First Blood) – Screenplay by David Webb Peoples (Blade Runner) & Jeb Stuart (Die Hard) – Directed by George P. Cosmatos (Rambo: First Blood Part II, Tombstone).

1653836453283.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A kind-of-okay sci-fi film, released the same year as DEEPSTAR SIX and THE ABYSS, all of them about a monster or aliens underwater. Of course, ABYSS won that contest handily.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not bad for a film with a De Laurentiis in the credits, and defintely better than DeepStar Six, as well.

YANG

Screenwriter
Deep Rising? Hollywood Pictures Deep Rising?
so... Disney releasing catalog titles rights to Boutique Studios now?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Deep Rising? Hollywood Pictures Deep Rising?
so... Disney releasing catalog titles rights to Boutique Studios now?
Not now, apparently, but a few years back, yes. Kino managed to finesse a few Touchstone/Hollywood titles out of Disney's iron grasp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks