What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
it is believed to be the basis, but Burl Ives plays the Genie and the TV show was produced by Screen Gems (Columbia) and none of the writers, director, and producer of The Brass Bottle were involved with the TV show.

Universal released a DVD in 2017. You can still purchase it on Amazon.

it’s a fun little film and I can not wait to get it. Thank you Kino

I asked Barbara about this during the HARPER VALLEY PTA shoot; she said that the series was already in development, but her performance in BB did lead to her being considered for and eventually cast as Jeannie. So the answer is: Sort of.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I asked Barbara about this during the HARPER VALLEY PTA shoot; she said that the series was already in development, but her performance in BB did lead to her being considered for and eventually cast as Jeannie. So the answer is: Sort of.

Thanks for sharing. I’m a big IDOJ fan but didn’t know that BB led to her being considered for the role of Jeannie.

I’m looking forward to purchasing this upcoming Blu of BB.

Now, if someone could finally release a Blu of Harper Valley PTA (and the TV series that followed)...

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Thanks for sharing. I’m a big IDOJ fan but didn’t know that BB led to her being considered for the role of Jeannie.

I’m looking forward to purchasing this upcoming Blu of BB.

Now, if someone could finally release a Blu of Harper Valley PTA (and the TV series that followed)...

The home rights to the feature are owned by Warners and the TV series was made by Universal. Good luck!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 2nd!

The Secret of the Blue Room (1933)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Trailers
• Optional English Subtitles

66 Minutes B&W 1.37:1 Not Rated
A deadly secret from the past returns to haunt a young woman and her loved ones in The Secret of the Blue Room. Irene von Helldorf’s twenty-first birthday celebration is eclipsed when her father shares the dark details of his estate’s guest room: twenty years earlier, three people were killed there and their murders remain unsolved. Hoping to prove their own bravery and win Irene’s love, each of her three suitors agrees to spend a night in the room… and a new string of deadly mysteries is set into motion. Lionel Atwill (Doctor X, The Song of Songs), Gloria Stuart (The Kiss Before the Mirror, Titanic), Paul Lukas (The Lady Vanishes, The Ghost Breakers) and Edward Arnold (Easy Living, You Can’t Take It with You) star in this delightfully chilling Pre-Code murder-mystery movie directed by Kurt Neumann (Son of Ali Baba, The Fly).

738329256463.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 2nd!

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Trailers

87 Minutes B&W 1.37:1 Not Rated
Starring Claude Rains (The Invisible Man, Casablanca), Heather Angel (The Undying Monster, Lifeboat) and David Manners (Dracula, The Death Kiss), The Mystery of Edwin Drood is a haunting film adaptation of the unfinished novel by Charles Dickens. An opium-addicted choirmaster, John Jasper (Rains), becomes obsessed with a young student named Rosa Bud (Angel). His nephew, Edwin Drood (Manners), also holds a torch for the girl and asks her to marry him. Circumstances in their small Victorian town grow more perplexing when Drood disappears and the sordid details of Jasper’s secret life come to light. Featuring beautiful sets, lavish costumes and wonderful direction by Stuart Walker (The Eagle and the Hawk, Werewolf of London), this gripping tale remains as mysterious as ever. Douglass Montgomery (The Cat and the Canary), Francis L. Sullivan (Great Expectations), Valerie Hobson (Kind Hearts and Coronets) and E.E. Clive (The Bride of Frankenstein) round out the fine cast.

MYSTERY_OF_EDWIN_DROOD_flat.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Coming November 2nd!

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Trailers

87 Minutes B&W 1.37:1 Not Rated
Starring Claude Rains (The Invisible Man, Casablanca), Heather Angel (The Undying Monster, Lifeboat) and David Manners (Dracula, The Death Kiss), The Mystery of Edwin Drood is a haunting film adaptation of the unfinished novel by Charles Dickens. An opium-addicted choirmaster, John Jasper (Rains), becomes obsessed with a young student named Rosa Bud (Angel). His nephew, Edwin Drood (Manners), also holds a torch for the girl and asks her to marry him. Circumstances in their small Victorian town grow more perplexing when Drood disappears and the sordid details of Jasper’s secret life come to light. Featuring beautiful sets, lavish costumes and wonderful direction by Stuart Walker (The Eagle and the Hawk, Werewolf of London), this gripping tale remains as mysterious as ever. Douglass Montgomery (The Cat and the Canary), Francis L. Sullivan (Great Expectations), Valerie Hobson (Kind Hearts and Coronets) and E.E. Clive (The Bride of Frankenstein) round out the fine cast.

View attachment 108601
Damn! That's some cover art!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Double Door (1934)
Starring Evelyn Venable, Mary Morris, Anne Revere, Kent Taylor & Sir Guy Standing – Shot by Harry Fischbeck (The Eagle and the Hawk) – Screenplay by Jack Cunningham (Murder at the Vanities) & Gladys Lehman (Death Takes a Holiday) – Directed by Charles Vidor (Gilda).

1628953261623.png

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Double Door (1934)
Starring Evelyn Venable, Mary Morris, Anne Revere, Kent Taylor & Sir Guy Standing – Shot by Harry Fischbeck (The Eagle and the Hawk) – Screenplay by Jack Cunningham (Murder at the Vanities) & Gladys Lehman (Death Takes a Holiday) – Directed by Charles Vidor (Gilda).

View attachment 108651
I'm lovin' these little known obscurities KL is releasing from their Universal deal!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Double Door (1934)

View attachment 108651
Wow!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
When it comes to screen villainesses, Mary Morris in "Double Door" is way up on the list of those who genuinely make you want to reach through the tv-screen to throttle. She's that exasperatingly despicable. Neat movie, though. It doesn't quite escape its stagey origins, but there's a building menace that makes the film moody and effective. And, Evelyn Venable is super-lovely, as always.

Nice announcement.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I saw DOUBLE DOOR when it was restored by UCLA. The audience, made up of the hardest of hardcore film buffs, was literally screaming at the screen as each new pitfall arrived. I've seldom seen anything like it. And here's the even wilder part: A couple of years later, the play was revived here in L.A.--the same thing happened! (Yes, the audience was actually yelling at live actors!)

Needless to say, I can't recommend this picture enough.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw DOUBLE DOOR when it was restored by UCLA. The audience, made up of the hardest of hardcore film buffs, was literally screaming at the screen as each new pitfall arrived. I've seldom seen anything like it. And here's the even wilder part: A couple of years later, the play was revived here in L.A.--the same thing happened! (Yes, the audience was actually yelling at live actors!)

Needless to say, I can't recommend this picture enough.
You have recommended this picture enough to make me determined to buy the disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks