What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
saw this on the other site, Marty (1955) is getting a new 2k remaster and being released in the following, Aspect ratio: 1.37:1, 1.85:1

hopefully the Insider will talk a little more about it on this site, but that should make a lot of people happy.
The DVD was missing a scene that was in the VHS version, I believe. The TV play is on DVD with Rod Steiger which runs just under 52mins,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in September!

Brand New 2K Master!

Masquerade (1965)
Starring Cliff Robertson, Jack Hawkins, Marisa Mell, Michel Piccoli, Charles Gray & John Le Mesurier – Shot by Otto Heller (The Ipcress File) – Music by Philip Green (The League of Gentlemen) – Screenplay by Michael Relph (The Assassination Bureau) & William Goldman (All the President’s Men) – Based on a Novel by Victor Canning (Family Plot) – Directed by Basil Dearden (Dead of Night, The Mind Benders).

May be an image of 3 people and text

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Coming in September!

Brand New 2K Master!

Masquerade (1965)
Starring Cliff Robertson, Jack Hawkins, Marisa Mell, Michel Piccoli, Charles Gray & John Le Mesurier – Shot by Otto Heller (The Ipcress File) – Music by Philip Green (The League of Gentlemen) – Screenplay by Michael Relph (The Assassination Bureau) & William Goldman (All the President’s Men) – Based on a Novel by Victor Canning (Family Plot) – Directed by Basil Dearden (Dead of Night, The Mind Benders).
I don't know anything about this film, but looking it up I instantly became captivated by Marisa Mell's eyes.

iu

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Coming August 3rd!

Arise, My Love (1940)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Theatrical Trailers

From Mitchell Leisen, the acclaimed director of Midnight, Death Takes a Holiday and Easy Living, comes this romantic comedy starring Hollywood greats Claudette Colbert (The Gilded Lily, The Bride Comes Home) and Ray Milland (The Lost Weekend, Alias Nick Beal) with a script co-written by the legendary team of Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett (Five Graves to Cairo, The Emperor Waltz). Ace reporter Augusta “Gusto” Nash (Colbert) poses as the wife of imprisoned American pilot Tom Martin (Milland) to save him from execution by Spanish fascists. The gesture lands her a front-page story and the praise of her boss, Mr. Phillips (Walter Abel, Mr. Skeffington). Of course, Tom tries to romance Gusto; but though she likes him, her career comes first, and Tom himself prefers freedom-fighting to settling down. Comedy becomes drama as their mixed feelings lead them on a circuitous path through the deepening chaos and catastrophe of the early days of World War II. Gorgeously shot by Charles Lang (Angel) and co-starring Dick Purcell (The Bank Dick), Dennis O’Keefe (Brewster’s Millions), Esther Dale (The Awful Truth) and George Zucco (The Cat and the Canary), this wonderful blend of action, comedy and melodrama won an Academy Award for Best Original Story.

View attachment 96451
A really good one never released on home video before (at least not in the U.S.)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw "Masquerade" when it came out, but I don't remember it that well. It was promoted as a James Bond spoof, but it's more serious than that; a very well-made twisty thriller with some fairly complex and prescient political analysis about the UK's place in the Middle East. Excellent script.

It was also entertaining. What I remember most is Jack Hawkins, and also the photography by Otto Heller, which was terrific. Marisa Mell was well...Marisa Mell. Though at the time I liked Cliff Robertson, my recollection is he was miscast and the weakest part of the film. You get the idea he's there because he's American and they wanted that to appeal to a broader demographic. But he's just kind of there, while everyone around him is more interesting. It's a part that needed Sean Connery or Michael Caine; someone who's sexy and has charisma and is comfortable doing both comedy and drama, who can go from sympathetic to threatening in a moment's notice. Cliff Robertson is still doing his "Sunday in New York" shtick, playing an amiable second romantic lead. Still, everything around Cliff Robertson is pretty terrific and engaging. It's a Basil Dearden-Michael Relph production, so it's very high quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Coming in September!

Brand New 2K Master!

Masquerade (1965)

May be an image of 3 people and text
Oh, I am pleased . . . and surprised too. This is a good, light-hearted movie that deserves a new audience.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 3rd!

Four Frightened People (1934)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer

From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of The Plainsman, The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific and Reap the Wild Wind, comes the adventure-filled Four Frightened People, starring the fabulous Claudette Colbert (Cleopatra, The Gilded Lily). When a deadly bubonic plague breaks out on a coastal steamer ship, four passengers steal a lifeboat and set sail on a mission of survival. They land on a remote Malayan island and soon shed all trappings of their former selves. After their native guide is suddenly murdered, they find themselves at the mercy of hostile islanders and must use their newfound survival skills if they are going to escape a terrible fate. Co-starring Herbert Marshall (The Good Fairy), Mary Boland (Stingaree), William Gargan (The Story of Temple Drake) and Leo Carrillo (20 Mule Team), this largely overlooked treasure highlights the versatility of one of Hollywood’s most renowned filmmakers.

738329254773.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 3rd!

Union Pacific (1939)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Dr. Eloise Ross and Paul Anthony Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer

Filmmaking legend Cecil B. DeMille (The Plainsman, The Ten Commandments) directs the classic screen duo of Barbara Stanwyck (Internes Can’t Take Money, The Lady Eve) and Joel McCrea (The Great Man’s Lady, The Palm Beach Story) in this explosive western about the struggle to build America’s first transcontinental railroad. Jeff Butler (McCrea), overseer of the Union Pacific’s construction, finds a network of schemers bent on sabotage. Most prominent are gamblers Sid Campeau (Brian Donlevy, Beau Geste), Jack Cordray (Anthony Quinn, Against All Flags) and Dick Allen (Robert Preston, Reap the Wild Wind). Dick is a former pal of Jeff’s, but their relationship changes as they fight over the railroad and over Mollie Monahan (Stanwyck), the railroad’s spirited postmistress. Featuring Akim Tamiroff (The General Died at Dawn) and Lynne Overman (Spawn of the North), this action-packed spectacle, filled with political intrigue, stampeding buffalo and train wrecks, delivers everything you would expect from a Cecil B. DeMille epic.

738329254780.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just viewed Union Pacific for the first time on TCM recently and liked it and will get the Blu-ray.
I love this western and will definitely pre-order this BD release from Kino as I can't wait to have it in my collection. Needless to say, as soon as I receive it, the disc will be loaded into my Oppo 203.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Coming August 3rd!

Four Frightened People (1934)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer

From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of The Plainsman, The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific and Reap the Wild Wind, comes the adventure-filled Four Frightened People, starring the fabulous Claudette Colbert (Cleopatra, The Gilded Lily). When a deadly bubonic plague breaks out on a coastal steamer ship, four passengers steal a lifeboat and set sail on a mission of survival. They land on a remote Malayan island and soon shed all trappings of their former selves. After their native guide is suddenly murdered, they find themselves at the mercy of hostile islanders and must use their newfound survival skills if they are going to escape a terrible fate. Co-starring Herbert Marshall (The Good Fairy), Mary Boland (Stingaree), William Gargan (The Story of Temple Drake) and Leo Carrillo (20 Mule Team), this largely overlooked treasure highlights the versatility of one of Hollywood’s most renowned filmmakers.

View attachment 96787

already gave the thumbs up for this, but wanted to impress that this is one in that final year of the pre-codes that really pushed some boundaries, Pre-Code has a great write up about it, attached is a link for any that may be on the fence, just read the proof that its pre-code section, and it's and easy sale. Day one all the way.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Okay, I was bowled over by the Arise, My Love release, but Union Pacific and Four Frightened People in HD and in one day's press really blew me away. Four Frightened People is so much fun and is, as far as I can ascertain, an international premiere in hi-def. I LOVE this movie and, if you haven't seen it, you are in for a real treat. An joyful mixture of comedy and adventure (plus a sizzling pre-code nude waterfall scene with Ms. Colbert), it is a DeMille that I'd descibe as an entertainment banquet. Can't wait! Kino, you dazzle us!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yeah. I was expecting UNION PACIFIC, though it's still a day one purchase, utterly psyched by ARISE MY LOVE, which I've been waiting for so long, and which I haven't seen in so long, it will be like I'm seeing a new film, I remember it being an awe-inspiring, unprecedented masterpiece, but FOUR FRIGHTENED PEOPLE...WOW! Didn't expect it, as it's always been underrated and ignored, even by DeMille scholars and I was blown away by it ever since I saw it in Bill Everson's class, and not just the waterfall scene, though that's in a class by itself. Very very sophisticated visually and formally, in a way that's surprising from DeMille, with images that stay in the mind and haunt you, while the script, as usual, is a lot of implausible claptrap, but who cares? The image is the thing, especially with DeMille, and with DeMille, it's more than image; it encompasses storytelling, character, emotion, and especially with FOUR FRIGHTENED PEOPLE, a mysterious something that captures the eye and expands in the mind.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 3rd from CODE RED!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1981) a.k.a. Night Warning
• 2017 2K Scan from the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Producer/Writer Steven Breimer and Co-Writer Alan Jay Glueckman, Moderated by Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson
• Audio Commentary by Jimmy McNichol
• On Camera Interviews with Stars Jimmy McNichol and Susan Tyrrell, Actor Steven Eastin, Make-Up Artist Allan A. Alpone and Producer Steve Breimer
• Reversible Night Warning Art
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Theatrical Trailer

Terror begins when a night of murder and bloodshed leads bigoted police detective Joe Carlson (Bo Svenson, Walking Tall Part 2, Choke Canyon, Breaking Point) to try to frame orphaned high school basketball player Billy Lynch (Jimmy McNichol, Escape From El Diablo). However, Billy’s aunt Cheryl (Susan Tyrrell, Fat City, Forbidden Zone) is the real knife-wielding culprit, and with Billy about to graduate, her twisted urge to keep him all to herself is about to erupt in a wave of carnage. No one is safe when an unstable lawman and a psychotic aunt converge in a shocking climax you’ll never forget! Julia Duffy (TV’s Newhart) and Bill Paxton (Aliens, Mortuary) co-star in this cult shocker directed by TV great William Asher (Johnny Cool). Now see this cutting-edge thriller in HD from a 2k scan from the original camera negatives!

BBNM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks