What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (27 Viewers)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
KINO has surprised me a couple times with titles they say are “unavailable” yet they end up releasing them anyway. I was hoping for a couple more (Ruggles of Red Gap, Skippy) but alas, That’s a hard no on Skippy, though who knows? On RUGGLES.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Someone might enjoy it. How about donating to The Salvation Army, with a little note on any defective discs? (Sorry, but I'm an old Waste Not Want Not kinda guy.)

I think that, generally, when people say "tossed", they mean "get rid of it" in any way, not specifically "throw it in the trash".

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 10th!

Back Street (1961)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle, Moderated by Filmmaker David DeCoteau
• Theatrical Trailer

From David Miller, the acclaimed director of Sudden Fear, Midnight Lace, Lonely Are the Brave and Captain Newman, M.D., comes this quintessential tearjerker starring Susan Hayward (Rawhide, I Want to Live!) and John Gavin (Psycho, Thoroughly Modern Millie). Based on the bestselling novel by Fannie Hurst (Imitation of Life), Back Street tells the story of two people who meet and fall in love but are unable to marry due to impossible circumstances. However, despite their situation, they carry on a lifelong illicit affair until tragedy strikes. For this lush 1961 color version that garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Costume Design, producer Ross Hunter (All That Heaven Allows) teamed Hayward and Gavin as the star-crossed lovers with Vera Miles (23 Paces to Baker Street), Charles Drake (Harvey) and Virginia Grey (Portrait in Black) cast in prominent supporting roles.

738329254827.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
KINO has surprised me a couple times with titles they say are “unavailable” yet they end up releasing them anyway. I was hoping for a couple more (Ruggles of Red Gap, Skippy) but alas, That’s a hard no on Skippy, though who knows? On RUGGLES.
Ruggles is with another label, my guess one that takes a long time releasing stuff.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 10th!

Oscar Winner: Best Actor (Sidney Poitier)
Oscar Nominations: Best Picture (Ralph Nelson) | Best Supporting Actress (Lilia Skala) | Best Adapted Screenplay (James Poe) | Best Cinematography (Ernest Haller)

Lilies of the Field (1963)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Sergio Mims
• Theatrical Trailer

Nominated for five Academy Awards including Best Picture and winner of the Best Actor Oscar for Sidney Poitier (Duel at Diablo, In the Heat of the Night). Homer Smith (Poitier), an itinerant handyman, is driving through the Arizona desert when he meets five impoverished nuns. Stopping to fix their leaky farmhouse roof, Homer discovers that not only will the Mother Superior not pay him for the job, but she also wants him to build their chapel—for free! Hesitant at first, Homer soon finds himself single-handedly raising the chapel and the financing. But although he will not receive a monetary reward, Homer knows that when his work is done, he’ll leave that dusty desert town a much better place than when he found it. Ralph Nelson (Soldier Blue, Charly, The Wilby Conspiracy) wonderfully directed this gem of a motion picture featuring stunning black-and-white cinematography by the great Ernest Haller (Gone with the Wind, Mildred Pierce).

738329254834.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming August 10th!

Back Street (1961)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle, Moderated by Filmmaker David DeCoteau
• Theatrical Trailer

From David Miller, the acclaimed director of Sudden Fear, Midnight Lace, Lonely Are the Brave and Captain Newman, M.D., comes this quintessential tearjerker starring Susan Hayward (Rawhide, I Want to Live!) and John Gavin (Psycho, Thoroughly Modern Millie). Based on the bestselling novel by Fannie Hurst (Imitation of Life), Back Street tells the story of two people who meet and fall in love but are unable to marry due to impossible circumstances. However, despite their situation, they carry on a lifelong illicit affair until tragedy strikes. For this lush 1961 color version that garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Costume Design, producer Ross Hunter (All That Heaven Allows) teamed Hayward and Gavin as the star-crossed lovers with Vera Miles (23 Paces to Baker Street), Charles Drake (Harvey) and Virginia Grey (Portrait in Black) cast in prominent supporting roles.

View attachment 97124 Hopefully a double feature of the Irene Dunne version (1932) and Margaret Sullavan version (1941) isn't far behind. One can hope, can't one?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming August 10th!

Back Street (1961)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 97124

KL says nothing about a fresh transfer but judging from the current DVD, it needs spiffing up.

Hopefully a double feature of the Irene Dunne version (1932) and the Margaret Sullavan version (1941) isn't far behind. One can hope, can't one?

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Hopefully a double feature of the Irene Dunne version (1932) and the Margaret Sullavan version (1941) isn't far behind. One can hope, can't one?

KL says nothing about a new transfer but judging from the current DVD, it needs spiffing up.
I'd take the Sullavan/Boyer version, but I'd really love to see the Dunne version finally released in the states. Criterion Channel recently offered the '32 version as part of a streaming salute to John Stahl, director of such classic '30s weepies as Back Street, Only Yesterday, Imitation of Life, Magnificent Obsession, and When Tomorrow Comes. The film looked pretty incredible! Here's hoping- more Dunne and Stahl on Blu ray is always welcome.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coming August 10th!

Back Street (1961)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 97124
The greatest Douglas Sirk film not directed by Douglas Sirk. An all-time great weepie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Stahl version with Dunne is the best of the lot. Sullavan is affecting in the remake, but it's a watered down version; simply not as biting as the original. The last remake is a travesty and its story line is too preposterous. If you accept this version as a rewritten story with scant similarities to the Hurst novel, then it might work. However, I just don't buy strong-willed Hayward, an independent and very successful business woman, giving everything up for a hunk and becoming a non-entity. I know Gavin is the prettier of the three leading men, but still...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Stahl version with Dunne is the best of the lot. Sullavan is affecting in the remake, but it's a watered down version; simply not as biting as the original. The last remake is a travesty and its story line is too preposterous. If you accept this version as a rewritten story with scant similarities to the Hurst novel, then it might work. However, I just don't buy strong-willed Hayward, an independent and very successful business woman, giving everything up for a hunk and becoming a non-entity. I know Gavin is the prettier of the three leading men, but still...
But it's the most glamorous of the three versions and for some of us, that's enough! ;)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Vera is very good in Back Street. She always seemed to play a shrewish or disapproving wife. I am sooo very glad she was not in Vertigo.

By contrast, her TV guest resume in the 60s is very rich and varied. She always seemed to bring a film star quality to TV which explains her long trail of guest shots but never could translate that to the big screen.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Coming August 3rd!

Union Pacific (1939)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Dr. Eloise Ross and Paul Anthony Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer

Filmmaking legend Cecil B. DeMille (The Plainsman, The Ten Commandments) directs the classic screen duo of Barbara Stanwyck (Internes Can’t Take Money, The Lady Eve) and Joel McCrea (The Great Man’s Lady, The Palm Beach Story) in this explosive western about the struggle to build America’s first transcontinental railroad. Jeff Butler (McCrea), overseer of the Union Pacific’s construction, finds a network of schemers bent on sabotage. Most prominent are gamblers Sid Campeau (Brian Donlevy, Beau Geste), Jack Cordray (Anthony Quinn, Against All Flags) and Dick Allen (Robert Preston, Reap the Wild Wind). Dick is a former pal of Jeff’s, but their relationship changes as they fight over the railroad and over Mollie Monahan (Stanwyck), the railroad’s spirited postmistress. Featuring Akim Tamiroff (The General Died at Dawn) and Lynne Overman (Spawn of the North), this action-packed spectacle, filled with political intrigue, stampeding buffalo and train wrecks, delivers everything you would expect from a Cecil B. DeMille epic.

View attachment 96802
Coming August 3rd!

Union Pacific (1939)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Dr. Eloise Ross and Paul Anthony Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer

Filmmaking legend Cecil B. DeMille (The Plainsman, The Ten Commandments) directs the classic screen duo of Barbara Stanwyck (Internes Can’t Take Money, The Lady Eve) and Joel McCrea (The Great Man’s Lady, The Palm Beach Story) in this explosive western about the struggle to build America’s first transcontinental railroad. Jeff Butler (McCrea), overseer of the Union Pacific’s construction, finds a network of schemers bent on sabotage. Most prominent are gamblers Sid Campeau (Brian Donlevy, Beau Geste), Jack Cordray (Anthony Quinn, Against All Flags) and Dick Allen (Robert Preston, Reap the Wild Wind). Dick is a former pal of Jeff’s, but their relationship changes as they fight over the railroad and over Mollie Monahan (Stanwyck), the railroad’s spirited postmistress. Featuring Akim Tamiroff (The General Died at Dawn) and Lynne Overman (Spawn of the North), this action-packed spectacle, filled with political intrigue, stampeding buffalo and train wrecks, delivers everything you would expect from a Cecil B. DeMille epic.

View attachment 96802
Another great title. Thanks, Kino.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Indeed! Specially considering that, when asked some time ago, Mr. Inside told us Kino had no interest in releasing this title.

I can only think of a Cooper fan in this forum that will be thrilled with this announcement.
It just goes to show you that they can always change their minds about releasing a title.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
By contrast, her TV guest resume in the 60s is very rich and varied. She always seemed to bring a film star quality to TV which explains her long trail of guest shots but never could translate that to the big screen.
Check Vera out in a Twilight Zone episode called "Mirror Image" with Martin Milner. One of my favorites.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 17th!

The Emperor Waltz (1948)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride, author of Billy Wilder: Dancing on the Edge
• Billy Wilder and Volker Schlöndorff Discuss The Emperor Waltz
• Trailers

From Billy Wilder, the brilliant director of Five Graves to Cairo, The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot and Witness for the Prosecution, comes this delightful musical comedy starring screen greats Bing Crosby (Road to Morocco, Going My Way) and Joan Fontaine (Kiss the Blood off My Hands, Suspicion). American gramophone salesman Virgil Smith (Crosby) wants to sell his wares in pre-WWI Austria. To get the ball rolling, he hits on the idea of going straight to the top and selling one to Emperor Franz Joseph (Richard Haydn, No Time for Love, The Sound of Music). First off, the palace guards think he’s carrying a bomb and he’s arrested. He subsequently meets Countess Johanna von Stolzenberg-Stolzenberg (Fontaine) and, after the usual misunderstandings, falls in love with her. She falls in love with his dog, Buttons. The relation is fraught with obstacles and the emperor thinks royal blood marrying a commoner is bad darts altogether—what is to become of Smith and his countess? Co-written by Wilder and his frequent collaborator Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair, Arise, My Love), this charming farce garnered Oscar nominations for its wonderful score by Victor Young (The Paleface) and elegant costumes by Edith Head (Sabrina) and Gile Steele (The Heiress).

738329254841.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
It just goes to show you that they can always change their minds about releasing a title.
We passed on the film, since there was no HD master. Late 2019, Universal scanned the elements in 4K and when we were working on our third deal this Best Lite scan became available to us, we decided to add it to our deal, knowing we would be responsible for additional DRS, dirt removal and color correction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snaves