What's new

Jurassic Park 3D (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm sure (almost) when I saw Avatar in theater the 3D was in 2.35:1.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think "Avatar" played in both ratios in both formats - Cameron wanted theaters to show it in whichever ratio resulted in the largest screen size for each auditorium. (Or at least that's what I read.)When I saw it in RealD, it was 2:35:1. When I saw it in IMAX 3D it was about 1.77:1.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
SamT said:
I'm sure (almost) when I saw Avatar in theater the 3D was in 2.35:1.
Josh Steinberg said:
I think "Avatar" played in both ratios in both formats - Cameron wanted theaters to show it in whichever ratio resulted in the largest screen size for each auditorium. (Or at least that's what I read.)When I saw it in RealD, it was 2:35:1. When I saw it in IMAX 3D it was about 1.77:1.
Yeah, I think Josh is correct - if 3D AND IMAX it was the narrower aspect ratio - but I can't be 100% certain that was the rule at all theaters. There was quite the Internet kerfuffle over which presentation was "correct". Then the Interwebs really went thermonuclear when the DVD and Blu-rays were announced... you just can't please all the people all the time!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jason Charlton said:
Yeah, I think Josh is correct - if 3D AND IMAX it was the narrower aspect ratio - but I can't be 100% certain that was the rule at all theaters. There was quite the Internet kerfuffle over which presentation was "correct". Then the Interwebs really went thermonuclear when the DVD and Blu-rays were announced... you just can't please all the people all the time!
In this case you could please everyone, just release the 3D version in both 1.78:1 and 2.35:1 editions, bingo everyone is pleased.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the 2:35:1 version just a crop of the 1.77:1? The other way around? A re-composited version the way Pixar used to do for full screen DVDs? I don't trust my memory entirely here since I saw the 1.77:1 in theaters more than the 2.35:1 but I think the 1.77:1 contains the most overall picture information. My complaint about the Blu-ray isn't the aspect ratio - it's that I like the extended version better and that's only on disc in 2D. But I wouldn't be shocked to get a 3D version of that when the sequels come.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Avatar was shot in 16:9 and cropped for 2:35 presentation. Cameron preferred the wider ratio for 2D but felt that the 1.78 was more immersive for 3D.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Josh Steinberg said:
Is the 2:35:1 version just a crop of the 1.77:1? The other way around? A re-composited version the way Pixar used to do for full screen DVDs? I don't trust my memory entirely here since I saw the 1.77:1 in theaters more than the 2.35:1 but I think the 1.77:1 contains the most overall picture information.
The movie was shot natively in the 1.77:1 (or 1.78:1) aspect ratio. The scope (2.35:1) presentation was the result of cropping the 1.78 image. The narrower aspect ratio therefore contains the most picture information.

Now I want to see Avatar again... :) (and I prefer the extended cut, too).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Travis, Greg, Jason - was pretty sure that was the case but nice to have confirmation.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
^ To the best of my understanding, Cameron basically took the 1.78 frame and cropped it to 2.35. Basically, he did the same thing as when he was shooting Super 35 (from The Abyss to Titanic) and would matte the tops and bottoms off to get a 2.35 image.
The problem with Titanic is that the effects work was done at 2:1 and the 3D blu ray crops this so we miss information, they have minimized the damage but i still prefer to watch Titanic in 2.35:1, i do tend to prefer the native format a film was shot in.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Greg Kettell said:
Avatar was shot in 16:9 and cropped for 2:35 presentation. Cameron preferred the wider ratio for 2D but felt that the 1.78 was more immersive for 3D.
Surely it was the other way around, no? I saw it theatrically in 3D, in scope, but the DVD and blu are both 1,78 and 2D, don't know about the 3D blu.
No, it wasn't: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4302
but I can't say I understand him, saying he prefers the wider ratio for 2D and then releases the 2D version in 1,78?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cameron wanted Avatar displayed in whichever format was biggest at that particular theater. 2.40 for CIH setups and 1.85 for CIW.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Returning to theaters in 3D on August 25, for the 30th Anniversary:

Jurassic Park will hit theaters again on Aug. 25 in celebration of the Steven Spielberg pic’s 30th anniversary. The movie will be re-released in RealD 3D-equipped theaters across North America. (Deadline)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Coming out in 3D is great for those who can use it.

Coming out exclusively in 3D is a shame. I don't see why they can't offer both formats. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks