What's new

Films in which the opening theme or song bleeds into/plays over the opening studio logo(s) (2 Viewers)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Assuming no one has done such a list (I couldn't find one), how many films can you think of wherein the opening theme or song begins playing over the opening studio logo/s in place of the usual fanfare or silence (*Not counting those in which the logos' appearance is significantly altered or changes to fit the film/theme at hand*)?
While this practice has existed throughout cinema history, it seems it truly caught fire at the outset of the modern blockbuster era (1980--present).

A few I can think of off the top o' my head:

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Beetlejuice
Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
Top Gun
Top Gun: Maverick (nearly identical to first film)
Star Trek II---V
Star Trek: First Contact -- Nemesis
Star Trek Kelvin Timeline films (2009---2016)
Fast & the Furious (several of the more recent installments)
Jurassic Park I, Iii/ Jurassic World films
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Total Recall (1990)
Jaws I---3D (assuming the spacey "music" accompanyng the globe logo in Jaws I & 2 are part of opening theme)
Escape From L.A.
The Matrix films

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
Paramount logo "fanfare" isn't so prominent in many films distributed by the studio... hence, i wouldn't think "bleeds in" would be a fair game for those Paramount titles.
the first title i would think of, is Mark Macina's SPEED 2: Cruise Control that blends into the near end of the FOX fanfare that trying to tense up audience moods on what to expect coming up...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Off the top of my head:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Breakfast Club
Ghostbusters
No Time to Die

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE (1983) had the opening strains of CCR's "midnight special" playing over the black/red zoom "warner communications" logo. current prints using the newer CGI WB shield don't feel quite right.

wccr.jpg

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Many modern Warner films do this. Either the theme begins over the logo and/or they somehow modify the studio logo in accord with the theme of the film. I think most of the Harry Potter films do this, and we saw something like this last night with the opening of Godzilla vs. Kong. That wasn't really a theme "song", but sound effects and modification of the opening logos.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The majority of Disney films that begin with Distributed by Buena Vista, the music starts and continues into the credits.

Wait Until Dark 1967

Breakfast At Tiffany's 1961

Vertigo 1958

Bell, Book And Candle 1958

Clueless 1995

Jackie Brown 1997

An American In Paris 1951

Gigi 1958

Singin' In The Rain 1952

Rear Window 1954

North By Northwest 1959

Clue 1984

Last edited:

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Xanadu (1980)'s opening/overture for Universal

followed by "Conan the Barbarian's" future girlfriend popping out of a violet mural, & leading a dance :emoji_upside_down:

Tripping Olivia Newton-John GIF by RETRO-FIEND

Attachments

• 1710016863022.png
    1710016863022.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 11

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The the 1940s, Twentieth Century-Fox often eliminated the Fox fanfare at the opening and let the score begin over the traditional Fox searchlight logo. It was a sign of prestige to show that what was to follow was somehow special. Examples that come to mind are The Song of Bernadette, Leave Her to Heaven and Captain from Castile.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
SUMMER SCHOOL (1987). opening tune over the 75th anniversary paramount logo. song credited to danny elfman solo was originally recorded during the sessions for oingo boingo's 5th/6th album BOI-NGO.

75th_anniv.jpg

SKIN DEEP (1989) starts with ivan neville's "falling out of love" (from his 1988 album & also a single the following year) over the first morgan creek logo.

miracle1988.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was just thinking about how The Who’s “Magic Bus” plays over the TriStar logo at the start of “Jerry Maguire”.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The the 1940s, Twentieth Century-Fox often eliminated the Fox fanfare at the opening and let the score begin over the traditional Fox searchlight logo. It was a sign of prestige to show that what was to follow was somehow special. Examples that come to mind are The Song of Bernadette, Leave Her to Heaven and Captain from Castile.

Fox would also do this with a select number of titles during the 50s such as The Robe, The Egyptian, Peyton Place, and The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, to name a few. And some of their roadshow titles of the 60s like Cleopatra and Doctor Dolittle had their overtures conclude over the Fox logo.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Pixar has done this a number of times. The best ones Soul, in which the main character's band class actually plays an intentionally bad version of the Disney theme music in place of the traditional good version, followed by us seeing the band for the first time in the opening scene.

The original Toy Story also had unique intro music for the film's initial release composed by Randy Newman as part of the score. However, this was removed for the Blu-ray disc and all current streaming versions of the film because Disney replaced the original logo and its custom music with the newer 2006 Disney logo and standard music. The last release I am aware of that contains the initial intro for Toy Story is the 10th Anniversary Edition DVD from back in 2005.

More recently, Onward and Lightyear also start their scores immediately over the logos and dispense with the traditional logo music altogether.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE (1983) had the opening strains of CCR's "midnight special" playing over the black/red zoom "warner communications" logo. current prints using the newer CGI WB shield don't feel quite right.

I agree they don't. Even the late-'80s --- 90s shield would be far better than what's currently there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks