What's new

Films in which the opening theme or song bleeds into/plays over the opening studio logo(s) (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In addition to Alien 3, I recall that a lot of David Fincher’s movies play with this in some way.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
RKO dropped the morse code from their transmitter logo sometime in the mid-'40s, so there's usually music score or preamble for title songs on there.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Barry Lyndon’s music begins over the WB logo, originally the 70’s logo, but on home video they changed it to the original style WB logo.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
HER ALIBI (1989). georges delerue score over 1984 WB shield.

wb84shield.jpg

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990). paul mccollough score over 1980s columbia lady.

80scl.jpg

Last edited:

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
FRIDAY THE 13TH SERIES: PART 4 is the first one to have (manfredini) score over the paramount blue mountain. music isn't used again 'til VII ('88-'89 logo). PART VIII leads with a single echoy whispered "jason!" (same).

paramountain.jpg

para88-89.jpg

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Paramount logo "fanfare" isn't so prominent in many films distributed by the studio... hence, i wouldn't think "bleeds in" would be a fair game for those Paramount titles.
The better exercise would be to make a list of Paramount titles that actually use a fanfare. I just spot checked a few, and the only one I heard a fanfare was Sonic the Hedgehog, and even that was altered to use the sound of Sonic's rings.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
DO THE RIGHT THING (1989). solo sax ("lift every voice and sing") slams right into public enemy's "fight the power." 1973 universal logo.

uni73.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse reworks about four logos with a sonic soundscape as prelude to the opening sequence with movie theme. (I was reminded of this this afternoon doing a stream vs disc comparison with this movie. :) )

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
DO THE RIGHT THING (1989). solo sax ("lift every voice and sing") slams right into public enemy's "fight the power." 1973 universal logo.

And (I forgot to add it to this thread) here's the Abstract Torch of Columbia Pictures, from that Seems Like Old Times opening from 1980 I spoke of before in this thread.

vlcsnap-00007.png

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Transformers added transforming sound effects over the logos (I think they all do this but I know the first one does).

"Then He Kissed Me" begins playing during the Touchstone logo for Adventures in Babysitting.

Superman Returns added a Superman theme tag to the end of the "As Time Goes By" logo music.

Score starts over all 3 logos for Super 8 and Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

War for the Planet of the Apes use more score appropriate percussion for the Fox Fanfare and then woodsy/rain sound effects over the remaining logos.

All The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films have score over the logos, although FOTR is just haunting sound effects until the opening credits start.

Not sure if these 2 really count but; The Simpsons Movie has Ralph walk out of the 0 in 20th and sing the ending of the Fox Fanfare. A bunch of minions sing the Universal logo music for Minions.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
LET IT RIDE (1989). first five seconds of "fugue for tinhorns" from GUYS AND DOLLS over '88-89 paramount logo.

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION (1989). mavis staples, title song. '84 WB shield.

DISORGANIZED CRIME (1989). solo harmonica / david newman score. 1985 touchstone logo.

tp.jpg

THE 'BURBS (1989). newly animated globe for a zoom-in sequence ending at street level. based on the 1973 uni logo. jerry goldsmith score. pulls back out to a shot of the globe sans text before the end credits roll.

burbsglobe.jpg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Waterworld, the score starts very softly as the Universal logo plays, the words "Universal" then fade as the camera slowly moves towards the globe as water covers the land masses.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
SECOND SIGHT (1989). john larroquette answering machine message over '84 WB shield. dunno if dialogue counts.

SHOCKER (1989). title song (dudes of wrath, a one-off metal supergroup) over '73 uni.

KINJITE: FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS (1989). i was sure the cannon logo always retained its own jingle, but obviously not. greg debelles score. mid '80s.

cannon80s.jpg

SHE DEVIL (1989). howard shore. orion.

orionpr.jpg

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
STEPFATHER II (1989). ITC entertainment. jim manzie w/ pat reagan score.

itclogo.jpg

TEEN WITCH (1989). trans world entertainment. lori ruso's rendition of "never gonna be the same again"; appears on her 1989/1990 album SOMETHING ABOUT YOU/SHOW OFF.

twe.jpg

TRIPWIRE (1989). cinetel. richard stone score.

cinetel.jpg

UNCLE BUCK (1989). intro to hugh harris' "rhythm of life" (WORDS FOR OUR YEARS, 1989). '73 uni.

THE WIZARD (1989). bodeans' "you don't get much" (HOME., 1989). '73 uni.

WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S (1989). jermaine stewart's "hot and cold"; apparently an outtake from WHAT BECOMES A LEGEND MOST. gladden entertainment.

gladden.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks