What's new

LOTR Remastered Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
1 year following the 4K Release, the Remastered Blu-ray,
Lord Of The Rings Extended Version (finally) arrives on Nov 16, 2021.

This is happy news for those of us who refuse to surrender our Blu-ray 3D format to 4K. For one who grew up on a collection of View Masters, 3D is like putting on an old comfortable shoe. For me, 3D opens up the movie (but many beg to differ ... that's ok).

But why the one year (minus 2 week) delay between 4K & Blu-ray?
As Mr Krabbs would say, "MONEY!". And for hundreds of thousands of movie lovers, there's always that one movie or series that triggers our bank account to take the plunge.

Normally, LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED would have been the catalyst that would have justified another format upgrade, but something is telling me that 3D is far from over. Not only are the Studios still releasing 3D Blu-rays, but they've also converted some Classics like Wizard Of Oz, Jurassic Park and Disney Cartoons Beauty, Mermaid & Lion King; into 3D too.

It's only a hunch, but I'm banking my bucks towards the next format beyond 4K. Meantime, the Remasterd Wonders of Middle Earth arrive in exactly 31 days in a 15 Disc Box Set: Extended Version Only (6 Discs), plus 6 DVDs of Appendices & 3 "Making Of" Discs.

One Ring To Rule Them All ... and All for under a $60 pre-order price tag.

Last edited:
Real Name
Joe Birrittella
But, is LOTR being released in 3D?

If not, I don’t understand the point of this thread
Remastered
New Color Timing
New ATMOS Sound
Enhanced Special Effects for 4K Skan (w/o altering the effects themselves)

Before & After Photos are like night & day.

Does this help?

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Yes, it baffled me, too. LOTR isn’t coming out in 3D, so why bring that into it?

And 3D is all but a dead format. It’s a shame as it’s the best way to watch Creature From the Black Lagoon, Hugo, Jaws 3D etc, but after an initial interest when it’s relaunched every couple of decades, the consumer soon rejects it. It lasted longer this time around, in cinemas at least, but it never took off in the home and outside a few tens of thousands of devotees there doesn’t seem to be any demand for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray player.

As for converting existing films into 3D, thats as bad as colourising or panning and scanning and should be rejected by film fans. LOTR was filmed in 2D and thankfully is remaining that way.

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
Yes, it baffled me, too. LOTR isn’t coming out in 3D, so why bring that into it?

And 3D is all but a dead format. It’s a shame as it’s the best way to watch Creature From the Black Lagoon, Hugo, Jaws 3D etc, but after an initial interest when it’s relaunched every couple of decades, the consumer soon rejects it. It lasted longer this time around, in cinemas at least, but it never took off in the home and outside a few tens of thousands of devotees there doesn’t seem to be any demand for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray player.

As for converting existing films into 3D, thats as bad as colourising or panning and scanning and should be rejected by film fans. LOTR was filmed in 2D and thankfully is remaining that way.
3D was brought up as an explanation (not an apology) of why I refuse to upgrade to 4K.

As for 3D not taking off, that was partly bcuz the format was introduced the year following the release of a hi dad format and people were unwilling to plunk down more money so soon after upgrading.

As for 3D conversion being as bad as pan & scan ... that's just funny; like comparing apples & oranges. The 3D conversions look Fantastic & I'll happily be getting more.

Colorized movies? I agreed until seeing Legend Films and what they did to "It's A Wonderful Life"; "IT Came From Beneath The Sea"; "Earth VS The Flying Saucers"; "20 Million Miles To Earth" & The 3 Stooges. Looks like they were shot on Kodachrome and was most impressed by the final results. My daughter will never know the b/w version of Wonderful Life, so that should lift your spirits.

The Good News?
You'll never have to watch them.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
1 year following the 4K Release, the Remastered Blu-ray,
Lord Of The Rings Extended Version (finally) arrives on Nov 16, 2021.

This is happy news for those of us who refuse to surrender our Blu-ray 3D format to 4K. For one who grew up on a collection of View Masters, 3D is like putting on an old comfortable shoe. For me, 3D opens up the movie (but many beg to differ ... that's ok).

But why the one year (minus 2 week) delay between 4K & Blu-ray?
As Mr Krabbs would say, "MONEY!". And for hundreds of thousands of movie lovers, there's always that one movie or series that triggers our bank account to take the plunge.

Normally, LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED would have been the catalyst that would have justified another format upgrade, but something is telling me that 3D is far from over. Not only are the Studios still releasing 3D Blu-rays, but they've also converted some Classics like Wizard Of Oz, Jurassic Park and Disney Cartoons Beauty, Mermaid & Lion King; into 3D too.

It's only a hunch, but I'm banking my bucks towards the next format beyond 4K. Meantime, the Remasterd Wonders of Middle Earth arrive in exactly 31 days in a 15 Disc Box Set: Extended Version Only (6 Discs), plus 6 DVDs of Appendices & 3 "Making Of" Discs.

One Ring To Rule Them All ... and All for under a $60 pre-order price tag.
i wish it were true that 3D isn't over but my 3D TV just broke down and can't be fixed and it is proving incredibly hard to find another one to buy as they aren't making them any more. There is a 32" screen LED one but it's not 4K and that screen is too small to really appreciate 3D. A few on ebay are all reconditioned, not something I trust, with one costing more in delivery as it's in Italy than they are asking for the set, and the only new one I've come across is over 2000 dollars and increased in price last week!

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
i wish it were true that 3D isn't over but my 3D TV just broke down and can't be fixed and it is proving incredibly hard to find another one to buy as they aren't making them any more. There is a 32" screen LED one but it's not 4K and that screen is too small to really appreciate 3D. A few on ebay are all reconditioned, not something I trust, with one costing more in delivery as it's in Italy than they are asking for the set, and the only new one I've come across is over 2000 dollars and increased in price last week!
Sorry to hear about your TV.
Time will only tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks