What's new

JBL s26 or s36 for surrounds ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm having a hard timing choosing between the JBL s26 or s36 for surrounds ?....Which one would you choose and why ?...Is the midrange on the S36 important for surround purposes ? or will the two way (s26) be sufficient ?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Let me preface the JBL S26 recommendation with, I have never auditioned the S36 so I can't comment on the midrange.
Both speakers** exhibit excellent imaging, extremely smooth/flat and wide Music/HT playback. Though the S26 might have slightly flatter response @ the crossover point because it has only 1 crossover network vs. 2 crossover network circuitry.
I use the S26 @ my surround location because I wanted to have "identical" speakers vs. my Front R&L channel. My intent was to maintain the 100% timbre-match (voice) seamless surround sound that I had with my JBL NSP1 (four N24).
The S26 is considerably larger than the N24, and it took some major 50 lb. rated picture hanging hardware for my Right surround side wall location. So, if mounting ease is high on your list, . . . then get the JBL S36's.
You really can't lose with either speaker, though mounting the JBL S26 on the wall does take effort.
**Read Mark Knights JBL S36's (x6) & S-Center Studio Series Speakers Review
Phil

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Phil,

Does the S36 come with any mouting hardware? I'm still planning on the S36's for my system and will likely have to wall mount.....Just wondering how they support the mount.....

Thanks.

Anthony, I've never listened to the 26's, however, I can attest that I absolutely love the sound of the S36's as they are my choice for Rears. I DID decide the S38's would be impossible to mount which is leading me to the 36's.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I used the S26's as mains for awhile and I'm wondering how you can use such a big speaker for surrounds. I don't think there is a bracket that can handle the size of those speakers. I didn't realize how big they were until I actually had them, man, they were huge! The S26's did sound real good, but I think they are too big for surrounds. Just my .02

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
I have the s-36's. they're your best best for studio series surrounds. (the fact that they were actually made to be surrounds helps) the back of the cabinet is angled down to point the drivers more towards your seating position. there's four keyhole mounting holes on the back. you just have to drill four screws into that wall in the positions indicated on the provided template, and hang the speaker on the wall. it hangs in both horizontally and vertically oriented positions. the only thing to worry about is that you should obviously use drywall anchors before putting screws into the wall if you have regular walls. you just have to buy regular size 10 screws that are at least 1+1/2" long.
Link Removed

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have the S36 as surrounds and love them. They do not come with mounting bracket but I did purchase some omnimounts that worked perfectly (53 RST UMK screwed right into the existing threads on the speaker). The 36's go wonderful with my S312's and S Center.... and soon 20-39PCi (order was placed the day they were introduced).

I'm not that familiar with the 26 so it would be hard for me to compare the two. Would the 26 be sufficient?.. I suppose. ...but would I trade my 36's ...NO WAY! I mainly went with the 36 as it was designed specifically as a surround speaker and the 26's were a little deeper and would not fit well on my wall.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Everyone keeps writing about the s36 being wall mountable, but isn't it also a bookshelf positioned speaker also !?..My intention is to put them on stands and not to screw anything into my drywall...The manual states that it comes with little rubber things to put them on stands, am I wrong ? :frowning:

Hank_P

Second Unit
You can put them on stands ... but due to their design (wide and narrow), I don't think it would be the most ideal way to go. They do come with everything to have them on stands and may work well for your situation. I feel they would have a tendance to be tipped over easily if they were sitting out in the open due to the small footprint.. on a shelf they would do nicely. If you are looking at staying with stands.. the 26 would do much better IMO.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Thanks for the advise Hank_p, my stands are placed at each end of the rear wall, so I was thinking of putting them on the stands and have the wall as support....;)

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
ok its final im getting 4 36 for sides and back and the s center.now the fronts I dont now yet.I never listen to music.I have nothing against towers,dont have much romm on the left of tv open door to landury room,so that speaker is 3 feet further away from the left side than the right accross the door space,so im not centered in the sweet spot there old speakers hurge boxes thats why I cant put next to tv. it block door opening.slim towers would proably be ok.it seem like thats the way,book shelves on stands??
need some ideas.enough info??
thanks
gene :) :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
most glorious!!! said:
Performance wise, nothing. The official word is that the changes are mostly cosmetic; driver cone finish, extra tweeter protection, slightly altered enclosure dimensions on some models.
Phil

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Gene,

I have a s38 as mains and they are great for movies. I heard a pair of s310, and IMO, the s38 are slightlly better.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I've noticed that the s36 are more sensitive (90db)than the

s26 (87db). Does it make a difference ?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
No - here's why...
...Basic rules: (SPL = Sound Pressure Level)
1: It takes at least 3 dB of SPL for the human hearing to perceive an increase of loudness.
2: In terms of Power output vs. SPL, to achieve 3 dB increase of acoustic SPL requires doubling (x2) the REC/AMP Power.
=============================
Watts...SPL (dB)...SPL (dB)
=========================
NOTE: Incorporating an Powered Sub-woofer (SVS - of course ;) ) will remove the AMP/REC requirements & strain.
So, w/64 watts, the S26 = 105 dB (very loud) and the S36 = 108 dB (very, very loud!)
To get an little more accurate SPL vs. 5 Speakers vs. Room, use C.M.Collins excellent SPL CALCULATOR
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks