What's new

S36 fronts, S26 side/back 7.1, is there a better value??? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_M

Agent
Hey guys,

I will be moving soon and want my onkyo system to stay in my room, so I want to do a 7.1 system my living room.

"Bang for the buck" is very important. I already bought the $499 Costco HK 325.

I'm young so I like my music kinda loud and in your face, then again I might not know what good speakers sound like... our downstairs system is jbl N38, n center, n26, $300 sony reciever.

I have went to best buy and I think I decided on:

S38 fronts $275
S center $130
s26 side surrounds $150
s26 back surrounds $150
--------------------------
7.1 for $705 and I can get them locally for that but have to pay tax.

and I have decided on the svs sub either the 25-31 or the b stock 20-39.

My question to you, "Is there a better value in speakers than these jbl's for the price range?"

I have looked into HTD, Axiom, Dalquist, Ascend, but these are all a little more expensive.

Now to complicate things I would be willing to spend a little more on a 5.1 setup at first then buy 2 more surrounds down the road.

...........Is there a 7.1 or 5.1 setup for this price range that will obviously outperform the jbl studio series that I should seriously consider.

Thanks, I have Money in hand, ready to buy......Oh and b stock should be considered as I like good value.

-Josh

Joshua_M

Agent
All these opinions and no one has any on this... I would think that this is a helpful question for many. Do you (A) go for the cheaper mass produce speakers that sound fine or (B) Stretch your budget out to go for the niche brands, ie axiom, ascend, dalquist, B&W, HTD and so on.

-Josh

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
it sounds to me as you have your answer already. Given the price range and value stick with your Studio series set up. S-38 and S-36 are nice speakers and adding the SVS or even a JBL sub would boost your sound. Moving too Axiom or Dalquist is taking your system to another level. The choice is yours depending on space and budget.

Joshua_M

Agent
You see that is my question, and you guys have way more audio experience than me.

"In your opinions would it be worthwhile to say purchase 4 qx6 and the middle line center, which would put me at about $800, which i could stretch for, then purchase another set down the road for 7.1 OR just get the studios and be done with it?"

Are these niche specialty speakers really on another level, or are they more expensive speakers on the jbl studio level? what makes them on the other level?

Thanks, and yes I know I have to go listen to them also and decide... just want opinions cause everyone has to go through this at some point.

-josh

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Phil Itturade would be the best bet for help with JBL speakers, but I do have the S26s for fronts now, and they put out great sound. Just search for "JBL speakers" and Phil's expert knowledge will turn up.
In my experience, unless you have good reason (i.e. employee discount or huge sale) I wouldn't buy from Best Buy. They can be downright nasty in getting you to buy expensive accessories or warranties, and then bailing on you when stuff breaks down. You might want to try J&R, although they might be more expensive. Don't forget that a good sub will set you back $150 or more. JBL subs are nice, but have a tendency to break down. Others can recommend good subs, but my Hsu VTF-2 beats any sub I've heard at Best Buy.
Ascend has speakers that are roughly equivalent to the JBL Studio series, plus a way to upgrade your system piecemeal at the same cost as a package. They also sell the Hsu VTFs, check out their site for all the details. Paradigms, Axioms, and Link Removed are also popular here as budget systems that can hold their own against speakers that cost way more.

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
S38's were recently acclaimed in a audio mag as very accurate and detailed speakers that played very loud, your kind of speaker if you listen to loud rock or 'popular' music.
Buy the set up you mentioned, w/ the SVS, best bang for your buck, just do not get it at Best Buy.

Joshua_M

Agent
Don't plan on purchasing at BB, Bestpriceaudiovideo is 20 minutes away, either I buy from them or BB matches thier prices.

-Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks