What's new

JBL S26 or in-wall? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaR

Agent
Hey all, in thinking of how my HT is going to look when it is completed, I would like to have as little speakers visible as possible but still sound excellent. I know that I want the S-Center up front with a pair of S36 for front L/R. In the rear though, I saw on the JBL website THESE . At first I planned on using S26's for the rears and center rear, but after seeing these I would rather have them out of sight out of mind...
Does anybody know what these sound like or more importantly if they would be "tonally" sound for surround use with the Studio Series speakers?

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I had a set of SP6's set up with S38 fronts, a S-Center and a S120PII sub. I wasn't all that happy with the sound. They didn't seem to match the fronts very well in terms of tonal quality. I replaced them with a pair of HTI's and noticed an immediate improvement.
Never satisified I removed the HTI8's and installed a pair of S26's. Interesting installation... I cut the sheetrock and recessed the S26's in the wall and bolted them from the back side (inside a closet) then caulked around the edges. They look really good. Only about 1.5" sticking out of the wall. Frankly they're a good bit better overall than the HTI8's. At the very least they're a MUCH better match for the S38's & S-Center. I suspect that being in cabinets as opposed to the in-wall speakers is most of the difference. That and 3-way versus 2-way.
Again... Never satisfied... I've now removed the S38's from service and replaced them with a pair of DIY mains (Adire HE10.1's). Having done that I'm now back to a situation where the fronts and the backs aren't a very good match. After the new year I'll be building a another pair of HE10.1's for the surrounds and attempting to design something using the same drivers for a center.
Looks like I'll be having a REAL nice sale soon... a pair of S38's, a pair of S26's, a pair of S-Centers (I used one for front and one for rear center when I was running 6.1), a pair of HTI8's, and a S120PII sub. Good thing I kept all of the boxes and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks