Wall mounts for JBL S26's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-Smith, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

What is best way to mount JBL S26 surround speakers in terms of safety and appearance?

2. Josh O

Josh O Agent

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

To hang my Right Surround JBL S26, I viewed it like a large wall hanging.
    I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of prepackaged items;
    1) Professional Picture Hangers - 50 Pound Size (2 pcs) #50025 (blue/yellow card)
    2) Heavy Duty Ring Hangers - 2 Hole, Wide (2 ea zinc plated) #50207 (red/yellow card)
    I centered and screwed-in Item #2 to the back of my S26. Since I wanted the S26 top edge as close as possible to the ceiling / wall intersection, I made sure the swinging hook was just below the top edge of the S26 cabinet. You may use a lower location depending where you're attaching Item #1 on the wall.
    Item #1 has two long pins that angles into your sheetrock thru the picture hanger and @ it's rated 2x more than the S26 - 22 lbs. - works great!!!
    To finish the installation, I placed 2 (each) adhesive 1" x 3/8" high square clear rubber bumper feet in each lower corner of the S26, to insulate the wall from speaker vibrations.
    Total cost: approx. $12.00 (?)
    Phil

4. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

Good idea! I use the same hangers for the artwork around my house and they work great never any pullouts.

Matt

5. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Josh, the Vogels are beautiful!!

Phil, I had considered your solution . . . glad to hear that it works.

Thanks guys.

6. Josh O

Josh O Agent

Bob... I got your email and composed a reply, but my email to you kept getting returned as "user unknown".
    Anyway, here's what I typed. Hope it helps!
    Hi Bob,
    To answer your question quickly, yes! They work exactly in the way that you are describing. There is a thin bracket that gets mounted to the speaker. Once you have the wall assembly mounted and roughly aimed, you just slide the speaker (with bracket attached) down onto the wall assembly bracket. I probably can't do a great job of describing, but the "guides" on the brackets that interlock with each other are angled in such a way that the speaker can only be mounted by sliding it from the top down. For this reason, you need to make sure that you don't mount them too high on the wall, since you'll need additional clearance to lift the speaker above the wall mount and slide it down. Once the speakers are mounted, it makes it a little more difficult to make aiming adjustments, but that's a result of these brackets being built like a tank... and having 25lb speakers up there [​IMG]. My digital camera is out of commission, but if I can borrow a friend's I will take some pictures to give you a better idea. Just let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck!
    Josh

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I used the BT77 hangers from Crutchfield to hang my speakers on the wall. These allowed me to turn them side to side quite a bit and also tilt them down some. Very sturdy and nice looking too.

8. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I second Donny's suggestion. The B-Tech BT77's are great. They are solid as hell, and reasonably priced to boot ($59.95). I didn't have to put any screws at all in my B&W 601S2's, just a little blue-tak.[​IMG]
    Pete