What's new

Need help with JBL set up (1 Viewer)

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on the JBL studio series and the Denon 3802 for a potential 7.1 set up. the room is 22' wide and 18' deep. For the sides and rears, spkr wire on the sides is 5 ft from the back of the room(adjacent to listener) and 7 ft high. the rear wires are 4 ft in from the side walls and 6 ft high.
Must pass the WAF. meaning nothing ugly on the sides or huge in the rear. s center of course and HT 90%/music 10%.
options:
1. s38 in front, 2 pair White s36's side and rear
2. s38 front, white s36 sides and beech s26s rear
3. s26 front and rear and s36s sides
4. s26 front and rear
5. s38 front and s26 rear
for 4 and 5, my installers think this is the best with the rears pointed at the listener and skip the sides. I have no idea but believe the sleek 36s would pass the WAF.
how 'bout it, what would any of you do.
How best to mount the 36s?
How best to mount 26s??
thanks very much
Brian
;)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Link Removed has allowed a wonderful way to mount a relatively large S26 on the wall. Like someone else said on this forum, if you stud mount them (well, you should stud mount them), you could do chin-ups on them! They are not bad looking, either.
Link Removed
I grabbed the pics of speaker placement when Phil posted them. I think they are from the Dolby Digital website originally. This is what they recommend:
Link Removed
Also, I think it's a given (from what I've heard) that a properly setup 7.1 system will kill at properly setup 5.1 system. If I have the cash and the room at the moment, I'd jump on another pair of JBL's and a Denon 5803 (or somethin' like that). :) The same speakers all around are always the best choice. If you can, make your fronts, sides and rears all the exact same model.
I have four S26II's for a setup. Actually, I only have the front two channels hooked up, as I'm waiting on a TV stand (currently working on) which makes me wait on buying a tv, which makes a DVD player useless. Therefore, I've yet to hook them up. :)
BTW, I'm powering the front channels (so far) with my new Denon 1802. In a word.. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Andre Aguiar

Agent
I picked up s38ii for the fronts and s26 for the rears. I intend to keep all of them at the same hieght. Don't have room behind me to do 6.1 but I do plan on doing that once I get into a bigger room.

Yes, getting all the same speakers will give you the best sounding, if the funds can support it that is.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
Andre, I have a Studio series set-up as well. Denon 2802 with s412p(mains), s-center, s26's(rear surrounds), and a JBL L1(rear center). All are ear level and I think that this is a very good setup.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I have

Marantz SR6200
JBL S center
Four JBL S26 (front and rear)
SVS 25-31 PCi

I think if you could stretch your budget, go for S38 all the way, if you dont have any problems with mounting this speakers.

The S26 are very heavy, and the S38 are heavier, but if want to buy stands or Adams idea (which I wish I had), I think you will have a pretty nice set up.

I heard the S36, and they were good speakers, but I think the S26 or S38 will go a little deeper.

I think that having four identical speakers is the best set up. And it matches perfectly with the S center.

What you didnt mention is if you are planning on using a sub. Which for me is the best piece you could ever add to you HT, and specially if you want it for Movies.

Consider SVS PCi line, which is on sale right now, and either way you go, S26 or S38, I think you will have a very good set up.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
thanks all for the replies. each of you have 26s in the rear. exactly where in the rear are you talking and do they point at the listener. how do you all like the surround effect. thanks
Brian

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I dont have them the way I wanted because of the layout of my room.

I think the best position to place the surrounds is 2 to 3 feet above the listening position, I have them about 4.5 feet, but still they sound great for me.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine has the S36, although I didnt like the way he mount them, it works,

He only put two nails in the back with the same separation of the speaker, and he just hang the speaker like a wall, and it works.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Brian Warren asked ...anyone have any experience mounting the 36s?
The following images is from Mark Knight DigitalVortex website ...

You can read his JBL S36's & S-Center Studio Series Speakers Review - here.
He finally found his HT / Music nirvana with the JBL Speakers after owning, ...
- Klipsch Synergy Quintet Satellite Speaker System
- Energy TAKE 5 Satellite Speaker System
- Atlantic Technology 270 THX Speaker System (replaced by his JBL S-Series)
... read his reviews - linked above.
It took several emails to convince him that identical speakers all-around his 7.1 setup would just sound 'most glorious', ... and he's glad he took my recommendation! ;) With his dual SVS 20-39CS sub's & BarcoGraphics 808s: Graphics Grade 8" CRT Front Projector, ... he Has a Killer Setup!!!
I know Mark is an HTF member, but has been contributing lately in the Receivers/Separates/Amps section. If you want, email Mark (link @ his website) about your specific S36 hanging question, ... you can tell him I sent you! :)
Phil

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Let’s see if I can answer some of your questions here for you Brian...
in BB, the 38s sound diff. then the 36s, do you think it would make a diff.
Well now that would be the toughest question of them all!!! ;)
It all depends on YOUR room and setup. I do not think they would make that much of a difference in MY HT room as I have a low ceiling and they might add more reflection then I already have but I would say if you have a big enough room with proper treatment then you can very rarely go wrong with the bigger speaker. YMMV…
Well I hope I answered your questions Brian. Feel free to email me anytime.

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for all the info Mark, that was very helpful. the room has vaulted ceilings so perhaps the 38s would be great with 2 pair of 36s for the surrounds.
are round rubber feet included and what type of screws did you use. I would like to have this info handy for my installers.
thanks
Brian

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
The S38 sound different than the S36 because the S38 has much deeper bass. The S36 are a bit thin in the bass department. They are great for HT with a good sub, but stink for 2-channel listening. The S38 are great for both. I have a S38II-S36II-ScenterII 5.1 setup. Sounds great.

My S36 are mounted on the wall similar to Marks setup. The rubber feet are included as well as an installation template. I used 1.5" #10 pan head screws with plastic drywall anchors. Two of the four screws should be in a stud but the drywall in my apartment is about 2" thick so I just used the plastic anchors for all four with no problems so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks