What's new

Rear centers, matching up my JBL's (1 Viewer)

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
i have a sony da4es coupled with jbl s38 mains, jbl s-center, and s36 surrounds. I am looking to purchase two rear centers, and i was looking at possibly matching up two s26's (as rear centers) with my s36 surrounds. Do you think that would be an ok match, or should i just return the s36's and get s26's all around? This really isnt a problem because i still have time to return them.
Also, i was wondering, if i do keep my s36's, they will be mounted up about 6 feet high, and the rear centers would be directly behind the listening area, 21" high. Would this create a problem creating a 360 degree sound field, or not?
sorry for my bad grammar and such, just woke up
-Mark

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
What kind of receiver do you have. Some of the receivers such as the Pioneer VSX-d811s that I have simply split the power from the rear surround channel into both speakers. If this is true for your receiver also it might be wise to get two smaller speakers instead of the same ones as your rears.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think it'll save some money if you got the S26s all around rear, but then again, if you play a lot of 5.1 sources and don't use the back channel, the sound could benefit from the S36s.

I think it would sound just fine if you used different studio series since the speakers are all matched anyways.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think 4 S26s would sound great for HT. Also, i think you should have all 4 speakers at the same height, or else you'll have sounds moving up and down that should be flat as they pan across the back.

One thing to consider, if you listen to 5ch music (DVD-A or SACD) you would probably want to stick with the S36s.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Mark,

have a sony da4es coupled with jbl s38 mains, jbl s-center, and s36 surrounds. I am looking to purchase two rear centers
I think that the best way to go is S36, if you like the sound of the S36 right now.

But a better option is S38 all way around, many could say that could be an over kill, but ideally you should have the same speaker all around.

I have S26 all way around and this is a very good speaker for the money, but are very heavy and big speakers and this makes them very difficult to hang, so you should check them before you buy them.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks