Question for JBL Studio Series owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg_t, Feb 22, 2003.

1. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Hello all, I have a couple of quick questions regarding the JBL Studio series speakers. I have decided that I will be going with the studio series, with S310's for the mains, S center for center, and either the S26 or S36 for surrounds. They will see about 60% movies and 40% music. Sub is a SVS 20-39 CS with Samson 700 amp. My first question is regarding the S310. I have read good things about them musically, but I wondering how owners feel about them with movies.

Also, I was browsing Phil Iturralde's website, and his pictures show his studio series speakers with the grills off, and the cones are a great copper-like color. All of the pictures I see on JBL's site show the cones as being silver. I really like the color of Phil's, and wondered if the ones with this color are a different model number or do they have a specific code to differentiate them from the silver ones. I appreciate any info that Phil or any can provide. Thanks.

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

as far as the colored cones are concerned, im pretty sure they arent a different model number or anything, but that JBL just refreshed the line and changed the cone color, to get the old copper color you would have to find someone selling the old versions.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hey greg_t - Phil here!!!

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thank you Phil and Dave for your quick responses. I will have to look into finding the Mark I because those speakers just look great with the grills off. Thanks again for your input.

Greg

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've personally (and a few I've spoken to) prefered the S312's to the S310's. The dollar difference is minimal, so you might want to audition the S312's if you get a chance.

It's also very easy to replace the plastic feet with spikes, if you're so inclined.

Following pictures are about 30-35kb in size each, as to not anger our modem using friends. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I just received 4 S26II's and an S center from Etronics. $504 including shipping. The Website shows them as a gold driver and lists them and the S26. I was pleasantly surprised that what arrived was the S26II. It had the silver drivers and a cherry finish. I compared these to the Paradigm mini monitors and IMO they fared well. Not quite as sweet, But I was able to get 2 pairs for the price of 1 pair of the Mini's. I felt this is a much better value.

Greg

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Another votes for the S312's. I have them mated with an SVS 16-46 and the sound is great for movies. I prefer a slightly brighter sound than many people like though, and this speaker delivers that perfectly. If that's not to your taste you might be better served with a different mfr.

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I have the S38s. They are amazing, so I would guess the S310s would be superb for both movies and music. I think the Studio line compares favorably to Paradigm, and is a better value.

9. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

10. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I have a full complement of JBL's and I'm quite happy with them. I'm not really a discriminating HT enthusiast, and I DID pick up my speakers with a tidy discount, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

The speakers DO sound good, though. You can really crank the volume on the 312's -- as the saying goes, JBL = Just Better Loud. [​IMG]

11. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thanks for all of the input. I personally need some speakers with great sound that won't break the bank as within the last six months I've bought a Panasonic RP91, Denon 2802 receiver, and a Pioneer Elite 530 RPTV, so right now, I can't put down big bucks. Besides, I have read some research and have read some really good things about the JBL studio series. JBL seems to have a really good rep in both the home and cinema worlds, and they are attractive, and reasonably priced.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, Greg, that's how I ended up with them. The Studio series just seemed to be the best Bang for the Buck and gave great HT performance (probably 95% of my usage).

14. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

My S38IIs kick serious booty. I love mine.

15. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

Is there any way to mount S-38II's on the wall or on a speaker stand? How do you have them set up?

I want to know, because I want to buy 4 of them and I need to figure out how I'm going to have to set them up. I don't exactly have a "bookshelf" for every speaker. [​IMG]

16. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

17. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

A freind of mine has 4 cherry S38's on cherry Sanus NF-24 stands. Very, very nice combo.

18. Derek Iverson

I can't use those stands (NF24), because they are not tall enough. The sound would be blocked by the back of my sofa. I need something about 3 1/2' or taller.

19. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

FYI- the S310 is going for $399.98/pr. free ground shipping at JandR- not bad! In Wed. NY Times.

20. Derek Iverson

Sounds like a good deal, but I would rather have the 312's for not much more.