What's new

Jbl Nsp-1 Ii (1 Viewer)

Dave Goff

Agent
I am truly a HT newbie, read reader comments and listened to some equipment. Finally ready to order, almost.
I am considering the NSP-1 system, but had a thought, would a 3 way S center help the sound? I think I will stay with the four N-24 front and rears. No sub for now. will go with the HK AVR-520.

the room is fairly big 20 x 24 with carpet, 8 foot ceilings that vault to about 10 foot. The room over flows to kitchen / nook area with hardwood floors that are a bit echo-y.

I wired the system in the walls and roof with out doing any research, so with out an attic visit no 6.1 or 7.1, but it seems this stuff changes so quickly that I just have to make a choice and stick with it.

My budget is $1000 dollars or less with shipping, already arranged with the boss, therefore no sub, no wait she might want a sub from Santa.

What do folks think about the s center upgrade or is it bad to mix two way f/r with 3 way center?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
My budget is $1000 dollars or less with shipping,...
In that case, I definitely recommend Option #2 - four JBL S26 & JBL S-Center cost would be approx. $$569.97 (w/FREE Ground SHIPPING! @ JandR.com).
As mention above, the HT DD/DTS 5.1 experience will be enhanced with a sub, and the highly recommended sub here in HTF is the Sony SA-WM40 a 12" 120 watt design with crossover control.
For more JBL N- & S-Series Speaker INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.
NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Have fun deciding, :)
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As always, Phil is the JBL guy :D Hey Phil! I completely agree that, while the S-center WILL help out dialog, it will not be a perfect blend for N series mains.
A sub is a must for the NSP1 speaker package, period, and they will not do justice to the capabilities of the 520, IMO. In particular, for music, they will be lacking.
You could easily get away with the S26s and no sub however, until you can afford one.
Yet another alternative to using S26s all around would be to start of with an S-center and 26s for the front and maybe a pair of N24s or N26s as rears (or two pairs for 6.1...). The same mains as rears is an ideal setup, and I agree with Phil again, that if you can do this within your budget, it would be the way to go.
Note that the S26s are fairly large speakers, and for either set, you will want stands.
Note also that JandR appears to no longer list the series 1 Studios at the $159/pr price.

Dave Goff

Agent
Thoughts on NSP-1 II w/ 10" sub vs 4 S26 and S center without sub and upgrade to sub in future?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Dave,

I will go the Studio series way, I have the same setup as Phil, and I'm happy with it.

I think the Phil is the more capable of answering that question because he has both setup (northbrige and studio). And believe everything he says, he knows what he is saying and backs everything with facts.

Phil and John were the ones that convince me to go with JBL/SVS/Marantz (very greatfull), and I dont think I could bought a better setup for the money, my friends are really impress with my HT, as well as me.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, may I butt in here to ask a relevant question? I have a set of NSP-1's, and I really like them. But my venerable Mirage 12" 90 watt box sub is letting me down, as it falls off below 35 Hz. I've decided on SVS as a replacement.

What do you folks think - will a 20-39 PCi fit the bill, or should I go for the PC-Plus version. The room is largish, has a cathedral ceiling, and the amp is a modest Onkyo 494.

Thanks for any input!

NeilKn

Grip
Sorry Phil, but even though I am a newbie to the world of HT, I have to disagree. Our S-Center sounds just fine with our N38II fronts and N24II surrounds ... no horrible clashing of sounds between the different lines, nor teling that they are different. The S-Center, with it's four drivers and 1" Titanium tweeter produces a fuller and clearer dialog channel than the N-Center. When the action moves from center stage to right or left stage, there is no noticeable difference. Of course the N38II's are also 3-way speakers, having midrange drivers. The difference between the 1" Titanium (S series) vs 3/4" Titanium Laminate tweeter (N38's)is not obvious ... especially as the action is now off center stage. The sound of our setup is very sweet, full, slightly warm as we prefer it, and very clear. As for their going together with the N24's as the mains, that may be a different story as those are only 2-way speakers. But mixing and matching may be OK providing the speakers are close in quality and performance to each other, or compliment each other. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Studio Series model said:
IMHO - based on experience & MFG. recommendations, ... choose speakers designated by the manufacture as voice-matched to obtain and hear the seamless 360° DD/DTS 5.1 surround effects mixed in by the Mixing 5.1 Sound Engineer.
Phil

Dave Goff

Agent
I want to thank all the people with their comments. Went ahead and just ordered the JBL NSP-1II, Sony WM-40 & HK AVR 520 from Etronics. Was under my hoped budget of $1K a few bucks including shipping.

So far very impressed with Etronics, they will not ship to other than your billing address unless you have contacted you card company and have the other address listed as an alternate address, also they take your credit card service phone number and call it before shipping your order.

50 years old but the kid is still in me, just ordered and need it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks