Dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pedro Diaz, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Im stuck with two choices. I hope you can help me with it. My top budget gives me $600.00 - $700.00 to spend

I have two choices:

(1) An ONKYO HT-S650 for $499.99 (free shipping)
    Which includes 5 speakers, one 150 watt powered sub and the SR5000 receiver.

(2) A HK AVR320 and a JBL NSP II speaker system and no sub for $690.00 (shipping included).

Which one would be the best option?

I have never had a HT system so it will be my entry system. My purchase will be made in one week, more or less.

Thank you very much for your support.

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Not apples to apples, If you are not going to buy a sub then go with the "Oink"
    Personaly I like the HK, it looks and performs great. . .

3. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Ok, I see your point, but what about this:

I can get a HK AVR320 with the 5 speakers and the sub from the HT-S650 Onkyo system for $600.00 + S&H.

What do you think about that?

Should I go for it or should I stay with the ONKYO HTiB?

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Personally, I'd go back to your original #1. H/K receiver + JBL speakers. Then, save your lunch money and get a sub when you can afford one.
    Going with lesser gear up-front will only lead you to wanting more down the road. Then, you'll have to sell your gear so you can upgrade - which means you'll lose some money. By saving your lunch money, I wasn't joking - I've done it quit a bit in the past (when I was employed.) For $99.99 + shipping, you could get the Dayton DLS-10 which should hold you for quite a while.
    I didn't mean to throw another option into the mix to try and confuse you. However, I've been through many upgrades before -- and man, if I knew what I know now, I would have gotten the right gear the first time. However, if that had been the case, I wouldn't have had so much fun time playing with the various components, purchasing them and upgrading my system. [​IMG]