What's new

JBL Northridge Questions (1 Viewer)

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
studio centers are on ebay lately. some at good prices, at least less than i paid for mine when studios were actually available (tho often used now, tho)

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
You dont need to use a dedicated "center"....Never seen any proof they offer better sound,(though I read many reviews where the sounded different from the mains!) but have seen proof if you have any off-access seating, those folks will get timing errors from the multiple drivers in the horizontal plane. Since I do have a couch off to the side, I just use another S26II as my Center. I have no timbre matching worries amd it works great. If your room only sits in front of the TV, then by all means grab a dedicated center....but don't think you need or have too. It's a lot of BS IMO that makes some serious $$ for the Speaker Co's!

Also know that the Bookshelfs are actually designed to perform best when layed on their side. That is the direction the wave guide is oriented. Mine, due to temp space problems (all 3 on TV!) are standing up...when I get a Cabinet that will change......

Now if your going for towers or bookshelfs, your most likely best serverd staying in the same range. All Studios (Tower, Center, Bookshelf) share the same drivers, all Northridge do also. (but minor size and material difference compared to the Studios)

Can your or I hear a difference if we mixed lines? I didn't want to take that chance...(but I probably couldn't! LOL!)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

NOTE: One provision that JBL LSR32 has over the JBL S38 or S36, ... is that the LSR32 Mid and High devices are mounted within millimeters of each other on a cast aluminum sub-baffle that can be rotated for horizontal or vertical placement.

Phil

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like my house, except right now its about 3 times a week! :D

Your website gave much information over the last year or so, and helped me in dealving deeper into JBL and eventually getting them. (along with a 20-39! The sweet spot one!) Thanks!

It was pointed out to me,(at AVS I think) I'd have to look as I don't remember exactly where, but JBL's own writing said these (S-26/36/38) were designed to be oriented horizontaly for best listening...I assume that is because of the focused dispersion of the waveguide. Could be wrong on that assuption, but I have read where JBL recommends the Horizontal possition over vertical.

Edit, just read the manual....Seems it primarily the S38II that benefits from this placement. Makes no mention about the S26II in that regard...I need to check out the tweeter closer in both.....May call them too...last time I talked to them they were quite helpful. From the Manual:

I still question the off-access...I've read those reviews too, but in my narrow room with hard walls and the bouncing of high frequences, I still think in my HT at least, it could be an issue. No matter....I love the sound I have now. From all directions! :D

Aaron_S

Grip
I'm still wondering though, why are the JBL E series considered entry level when they can retail for 900 or more a pair?? To me that price isn't entry level as that could get you into some paradigms or B&Ws as well.

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I think they sound very very good too.

BTW I just purchased JBL e90's for the front ec35 center e250p sub and e10's for the rear. And a Yamaha 2400 receiver! I cant wait till it all get here. I think the total was just over 2000 for it all. Should be fun to watch dvd's now with my 42in widescreen tv :)

Nick.S

Aaron_S

Grip
Nick, congrats on the purchase. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I'm thinkin along the same lines for speakers except an svs sub. Anxious to hear what you think.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Congrat's!!! REFERENCE Calibrate the whole setup and the sound should be more impressive than your better local Cinema Theater!!! Hope you have understanding neighbor's!!! ;)

After a month or more, re-REF CAL your HT setup to see if any minor SPL changes are required to equalized your SPL levels around you.

Phil

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Phil! Saves me having to take a grille off! :D

What brand are the stands you using? Look beefy enough....

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Your welcome John!

I actually bought some vifa custom speakers ($35 pair) @ a garage sale around 1999 and after I refused purchasing the speaker stands for another $15, ... the owner just gave me the stands. The tags fell off a long time ago so I'm afraid I don't remember who made them. The stands are 20" high, which places the tweeters approx. 35" off the floor (seated ear height) and they work great. My S26's just sit on the top plate - four rubber corner cushions.

Phil

Aaron_S

Grip
I think the e50s sounded pretty good, but it wasnt really a good audition place. best buy.
But I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me why the JBL E series is considered entry level at a price of $900 for a pair of towers. You can get other brands at the same price that arent considered entry level, so why are they called entry level speakers?

mike steve

Grip
Just purchased JBL E30, EC25 and E20 for rear for my HK avr230 and in one word WOW this setup sounds sweet, no sub yet but even without the sub the sound is sweet my movies are a whole new experience the center speaker pumps out clean crisp dialog,the E30 compliment the center with tight bass, music cd's sound great my listening area is around 20X18 square feet so the bookshelf speakers are perfect and don't overwhelm the room. The E30's have the Biwire option which I have not explored yet. I almost went down the HTIB road and I'm so glad I didn't thanks for all the post and recommendations.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Well, this is a matter of perception and opinion, of course, as "entry level" will have different meanings for different folks. In terms of what JBL offers in their consumer line, Northridge E may be their "entry level" stuff, but it is very, very good.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. If you feel they're worth the asking price, then just lay down your coin and enjoy, right?

My opinion is that JBL has always made and continues to make very good speakers--whether we are talking about their consumer line or their boutique stuff--which are very competitive at their price points. They are backed by extensive R&D, and many of their pieces (such as the recent S38/S38IIs) stack up quite nicely against much pricier competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks