JBL Northridge Questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Aaron_S, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

I have seen that the E90 floorstanders are now 500 for a pair. Are these fairly good for that kind of money or could I be doing better. I think they sound nice, and I'm strapped for cash. These could fit the bill, but if I could listen to something that may be better for the same money that could be an option. Would it better to flip an extra 100 and go with the Athena AS-f2s? for stick with some JBL action. I've heard both and like both, but will I get better midrange and highs with the JBL or Athenas? Would it be better to hunt out some Studio S38's instead of these E90s?? Thanks in advance.

2. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

I'm running the E90's and I love them. The AS-F2's are very nice as well. The Athena's seemed like they were a bit brighter to me w/ slightly more detailed high's. I would have went with them but the lack of easily wall mounted surround speakers closed the deal for me. I went w/ E90's for the fronts, a EC25 center and E10 wall mounts for surrounds. I got them at employee price at BB and for the money I couldn't be happier. You'll have alot of people try and tell you to go hunting for Studio series JBL's in this post. I've heard both and the new Northridge sound just as good to me and look 10x's as good.

3. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

Thanks alot for the reply Scott, what are you running your E90's with, I have a Yamaha HTR-5560, Are the JBL's considered bright? ALso, what do you think of the midrange and highs on your E90s and why did you go with the EC25 instead of EC35. Also, is the EC35 and 25 a better center than the Athena ASC1, I've heard some bad things about the Athena center. How's the JBL stand up against it? Thanks again.

4. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Very good review on the Northridge series in the new Sound&Vison Mag..if you don't subscribe it'll be on shelves anytime.

JBL's are considered Neutral to slightly Bright.

I liked the Bookshelf series when I listened at BB...so I went on Ebay and won 2 pair of S26II's (higher end Studio Series) from the JBL store. Then used a pair of S36IIPM in the rear. (I run one S26II as my center...I personally think the "dedicated" centers are a bunch of hype. It's more important to me to have the same tonality/timbe all around. All my speakers share the same woofer/same tweeter...the rears just add a mid that so far in two weeks of use has been very sweet. Matched with a 20-39PCi)

5. Scott*B

I went w/ the EC25 because it was all BB carried and to get the employee price I had to of course buy at my local BB that my friend works at. I'm gonna upgrade to the EC35 down the road. JBL's are considered rather neutral from what I can hear and what I've heard others say. I'm running it w/ an Onkyo HTR-510 but I'm looking to grab a Yamaha 1400 soon. I thought the Athena center was fine buy YMMV. I'm really pleased w/ the JBL's. I've been impressed so far.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

===(end of copy)

JBL continues its performance vs. price advantage!

Phil

7. Joshua H

Joshua H Stunt Coordinator

from what i read the studio series is very similar to the e-series, tho with the 1" tweeter. I personally am curious about the crossovers between studio, northridge, and e.

i just got a pair of the s38ii to match my older s38's. best price i found was at dynadirect!com, $285 w/ship.

i wish i knew someone with the new e 8" bookshelves so i could compare them to my studios...

8. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

Is the 3/4" tweeter gonna bury me in the end? Should I be lookin at 1" since most speakers carry 1" or should I be fine with the 3/4" tweeter. Also, what does YMMV mean. thanks.

9. John Tami

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary...your opinion could be different then mine! [​IMG]

The Studio's use a full Titanium Tweeter, the Northridge use a Ti Laminate. In fact all the drivers are different, I used the JBL parts site awhile back to verify drivers between my S26II's & S36II's, they were shared only among other Studio monitors...I expect some minor difference in Cabinet materials/interior design possibly...but not much. I just knew I could get the Studio's from their Ebay store a lot cheaper then I could get the Northridge model line from BB. Both Series sound excellent. The Studio's are hard to find...the Ebay store puts them up every now and then. I know I pissed a few by winning twice in row! He He...

And forget the JBL subs....go with an SVS. I just now finished watching "The Core" with my boys....HOLY COW!!!! Sustained low low low bass tracks....my oldest boy couldn't believe it when the floor (SoCal...just carpet over concrete) kept moving! [​IMG] JBL makes some very good Subs, SVS makes Great ones!

10. Sam_P

Sam_P Agent

I have the E90's downstairs aloong with the E10, E25 and the JBL 150 watt sub...150p I think? I bought the package with a yamaha 5650 all for $1289. The package normally comes with E80s but they gave me the E90s at no extra charge. I felt they sounded a lot cleaner than the E80s.

The room is 22X18 and it fills it with sound like a champ.

I couldnt be happier!

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I have a pair of N38IIs in my office, which are probably most comparable to the E60s, and these speakers really sing. I use the E10s as rears in this set-up, and they're also terrific (the testing lab portion of the Sound&Vision article made specific mention of the E10s and their excellent, smooth frequency response).

I also have a pair of S38IIs, and they are the best

12. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I recently am looking at a new ht system too. I was thinking klipsch but I really like teh sound of jbl's. I was just about to hit buy for a set of the e90's for 650. Where did you see them for 500? Is there a good priced site that most people use for speakers?

Thanks
    Nick.S

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

a tweeter's performance is certainly not necessarily related entirely to it's size!
    [​IMG]

14. John Tami

True! But the "Studio" series Titanium (light and strong) compared to the "N" series Titanium Laminate tells me the "S" series may having quicker reaction time for more accuracy. Now whether my ears can hear that difference? I would have been happy with either to tell the truth, I just managed to get a Full "S" series HT for a darn good price!

15. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

Nick, the E90s were on bestbuy's website for 249 each so about 500 for the pair.

16. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

ok got my e90's ordered. Going to get the p250 sub and the ec35 center channel. For the surrounds should I go with the regular e10's or get the bookshelf e20's or even e30's? I have always lacked in surround speakers so I really want them to stand out when wathcing movies!!

Nick.S

17. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Since the E10 objective benchmark was ...

Once you get your timbre-matched JBLs, if you want to hear how the Mixing Engineer encoded the DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 movie, you must REFERENCE Calibrate the entire setup @ your 'sweet spot'!

Certain DVD's will stand out with seamless discrete surround effects (Star Trek Nemesis; Spiderman; Daredevil, Tomorrow Never Dies; etc.) and it should not distract from the on-screen action. Some DVD's surround effects will be very subtle like "Catch Me if you Can".

Have fun once you get your JBL setup!
    Phil

18. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

So do the E90s have a good midrange or is it nonexistent? Also, why are they considered entry level by people and the JBL site when they are supposed to be 900 dollars a pair. To me that's not entry level.

19. Scott*B

The E10's are great man. They are a bargain at their pricepoint. Very easy to wallhang and look great. They are most of the reason I own JBL's instead of Athena's.

20. Aaron_S

Aaron_S Extra

I can't hear the S26IIs, but would they be better in the end than the E90s. I know ones a bookshelf and the other a floorstander, but I'm going for quality here not size. The only problem I'd have would be finding a matching center for the Studios. But we are looking at a 1" and 6" on the 26 to the 3/4", 4", and two 8"s on the E90s.