What's new

Jaws Anniversary Edition vs. DTS Edition (1 Viewer)

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Would it be a dramatic difference? I don't know. Once again, I haven't heard the Dolby version, but John Williams' score in the DTS IS impressive.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that Universal hasn't released this one again and fixed some of the problems with the first release (mono track, complete doc). They never seem to pass up a chance to sell an "Ultimate" edition of a film (American Pie). I'm sure Spielberg has a big say in the matter, though.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for this input...for the most part, would you say that the Jaws DD version is just as "good" as the DTS in terms of sound quality and effects? Are they on par with each other? Trying to decide if I should sell the version I bought to someone and get the DTS version, if Im missing out on something here...

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
"Would it be a dramatic difference? I don't know. Once again, I haven't heard the Dolby version, but John Williams' score in the DTS IS impressive.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that Universal hasn't released this one again and fixed some of the problems with the first release (mono track, complete doc). They never seem to pass up a chance to sell an "Ultimate" edition of a film (American Pie). I'm sure Spielberg has a big say in the matter, though."

Yes, you are right about Universal...they have a plethora of so-called "Special Editions" and "Collectors Editions"---I have tons of em in my collection..."The Thing," "Halloween II," "Fast and the Furious"...and they have done the same with Jaws, with separate versions all over the place---the DTS logo on top, then the silver bars on top and bottom of the box cover like I have...but they cant seem to fix the problems as you say. There are like five different DVDs of Jurrasic Park, did you know that? And that comes from Universal as well.

I guess I will eventually pick up the DTS version of the DVD when I can.

Arif

Agent
There are like five different DVDs of Jurrasic Park, did you know that? And that comes from Universal as well.
Actually, if I recall correctly there only two versions of Jurassic Park (if you don't include PAN & SCAM ofcourse) - DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 - The original DTS 5.1 release had a problem with LFE track. If you have a faulty track you can get a replacement from Universal - there are threads regarding this defect on practically every DVD forum.

But I digress. As far as Jaws is concerned, I have the DTS version and it sounds pretty good to me. Check out the review at DVDfile.com which explains the differences between the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 versions.

:)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
My apologies about that no single speaker stack for mono comment...I honestly can't remember that, gettin old. I can remember back 25 years or so, and the movies I *remember* had at least stereo sound. Anyway, I don't prefer all the sound coming from my center speaker...have to turn it up too loud for my sitting position...having the sound coming from speakers near to me is more relaxing, if relaxing is appropriate!

My last post overlapped with yours, re your receiver. I guess you just can't do what I mentioned, I don't know how common it is to be able to do it. However, it's a feature I looked for since I do have so many older mono movies, and so many newer ones that are de-facto mono.

Sorry, I'm not a Jaws DVD afficionado, and just have the dts version of the 25th, being a dts fan.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
"Scott,

Here's dvdfile's review where they actually compare the DTS and Dolby versions:

Jaws Review "

Thanks so much for the link...the review convinced me that I need to find this film in DTS version...thanks again...

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
"Actually, if I recall correctly there only two versions of Jurassic Park (if you don't include PAN & SCAM ofcourse) - DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 - The original DTS 5.1 release had a problem with LFE track. If you have a faulty track you can get a replacement from Universal - there are threads regarding this defect on practically every DVD forum.

But I digress. As far as Jaws is concerned, I have the DTS version and it sounds pretty good to me. Check out the review at DVDfile.com which explains the differences between the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 versions."

I think you are right about the two versions of the 'Park...I was probably mistaken. I was probably thinking of a fullscreen separate edition as well. I remember the problem with the LFE track; I have heard that Saving Private Ryan, Twister and Jurassic Park are three DVDs that are an abolute MUST to have to show off a surround system's audio capabilities. I need to get the Jurassic Park DVD.

The Jaws review convinced me to look for the DTS version, eventually. Thanks.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
On my receiver (denon 5800) there is a DSP mode called "mono movie", or something like that. It will take the mono source and convert it into stereo, i believe. To me, it sounds MUCH better than just the plain mono.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the DTS track is superior. The film's score, finally released in its original stereo recording, sounds better and the effects are punchier.

The reason for the change in effects sounds for the 5.1 mix, is for dramatic impact. The guns and "Bruce" exploding at the end on the original mono mix are very weak and very, very canned. At least they sound more realistic now.

Dan

Mark E J

Second Unit
What kind of sound effects on the Jaws disc sound out of place? Are they really that noticeable?
One sound effect that was changed for the DD version and I assume the DTS is the sound of the whales right after Quint's Indianapolis story. In the old mono mix there was an extremely creepy quality to these sounds that just isn't there for the 5.1 remix. The diffrence is truly dramatic, in the mono you hear this deep moaning that crawls under your skin especially after Quint's story. In the 5.1 all you hear is a couple of high pitched squeaks that sound like sonar from an old submarine movie. This really degrades the effect of the scene in my opinion.

Whoever changed this effect needs to have there head examined.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I like to have mono sound come out of the center speaker only. Listening to a mono movie from the front two speakers or "5 channel mono" would really bug the heck out of me. I always use Prologic decoding to send "2.0 mono" to the center speaker.

I'm really annoyed by the fake "stereo" tracks that Fox put on their The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir DVDs. These out-of-phase fake stereo tracks simply make everything (music, dialog, and effects) fill all 5 speakers when Prologic decoding is applied to them. At least the mono tracks on both of these titles sound fine.

I've been waiting to buy the DTS version of Jaws for a while, but I think the price remains a bit too high.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ditto Craig and Robert.

That said, I put my receiver in stereo mode whenever I play a mono soundtrack, simply because my mains (towers) sound much fuller, much better than my center.

No 5 ch mono for me though.

--
Holadem

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The reason for the change in effects sounds for the 5.1 mix, is for dramatic impact. The guns and "Bruce" exploding at the end on the original mono mix are very weak and very, very canned. At least they sound more realistic now.
As weak and canned as it may be, the original mono soundtrack won the 1976 Oscar for Best Sound. It sure would've been nice to have been given the option of hearing that Oscar-winning soundtrack on DVD.

DJ

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Mark's right: the sound of the whales used to be more elaborate and spooky - on the re-foley/remixed Dolby 5.1 soundtrack, those sounds are very different.

The new Dolby (and presumably DTS) 5.1 remix of Duel seems to have 100% new foley and it sounds good. The original mono is also included and sound good also.

Sometimes remixes with new foley effects can work. Sometimes is doesn't coughTerminator: SE cough. :frowning:

Any future Jaws DVD ought to be a 2-disc set with:

- Original mono

- Dolby 5.1

- DTS 5.1

- Full-length Laserdisc cut of the documentary

- All deleted scenes that were included on the Laser

- Spielberg and/or Carl Gottlieb commentary

- Original poster artwork for cover

Gordy

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think T1's remix did make things sound better overall. However, I think Gary Rydstrom was a bit too conservative sometimes. For instance, there were some old sound effects left intact that weere not very realistic compared to some of the new stuff he added, and the future battle sequences should have been rockin' even more throughout the soundfield.

I feel the same way about Jaws, although much moreso. If they are going for a brand new remix, then I'd say go all out and make it as good as a modern film with a more realistic 360 degree soundfield. The only thing that will stand out is the dialog since everything else would be replaced. For the most part, the Jaws remix is very conservative again with it sounding more like a mono-enhanced movie as there are very few sound pans in the whole thing, and only the music is in stereo.

Then include the original mono for the purists.

Dan

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I agree with what Eric Meske says here:

The worst part is that the original mono is not included on either version. The DTS (and I assume, the new Dolby) track has re-recorded sound effects that, if you're as familiar with the film as I am, really sound out of place.
The sound effects throughout the film are so different and so distracting that it doesn't seem like the same JAWS everybody saw back in 1975. I was so disappointed in the DVD I've only been able to watch it once. Even the opening chords of the score have been mixed down and lowered in volume until they have no impact at all. When we heard them in the theater, loud and booming against a black screen right before the opening Zanuck/Brown credit, we were already scared. I only hope Universal releases the original mono version someday - that's the real JAWS.

--Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks