What's new

iTunes question: removing playlists (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

another (probably stupid) itunes question or two.

i created a playlist from my library and copied it to the ipod. no problem ... songs xferred over, etc. i'm good to go, color me happy, etc.

now...i want to delete that playlist from the ipod. the problem appears that it only deletes the playlist, *not* the actual songs??? so, how am i supposed to delete the songs? one-by-one...?

-----

also, it seems i can't copy a playlist off the ipod into my library? when i try to drag the playlist off the ipod into my library (using the source window) i get one of those "not allowed" symbols.

so, it appears i'm still trying to learn the ipod lifestyle...

thanks!

:)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

Maybe easier ways, but, from iTunes, get your iPod open, and select the Playlist. The songs will appear in the center window, yes?

Highlight the 1st track, then Shift/Click the last track, which should select all. Then right click, and choose clear.

You can then delete the playlist, although its already empty.

Now, am reasonably sure that will work, but I don't have a playlist I want to nuke, so if it does not work, sorry! I can only vouch for the process leading up to the point where you select "clear".

And yes, it appears that using the normal iTunes interface, its a one way street...you can not upload stuff to iTunes from the iPod. I have read that there are back-door methods to access the contents of an iPod, but have not tried them. You might take a look at ipodlounge for that sort of stuff.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ahh..thanks brian. good tip.

as far as it being a one-way trip, i'm gonna call "sheesh!" on that. doesn't make sense... :rolleyes

thx again!

[edit] hmm...doesn't look like that worked brian. it cleared the songs from the playlist, but it didn't *physically* delete the files off the ipod. :angry:

iTunes is what creates, and pretty much completely controls the songs and playlists on iPod. You have two choices in how to control the playlists and songs on the iPod:

Let iTunes automatically sync with the iPod, which will consequently copy all songs in your library, and copy all playlists.

or

Manage your playlists and songs manually on the iPod, via iTunes.

To remove songs, and manage/add/delete playlists on the iPod, you'll have to do the following:

Connect iPod to your computer via the dock, or firewire/USB2.0 cable.

Once iPod does it's full sync with iTunes, and things are 'calm', click the iPod icon in the lower right hand corner of the iTunes screen. This will be the 4th icon over, from the right. Click it.

A pop up will appear, and you'll see a 'Manually manage songs and playlists' check-box. Check it. Another pop up will appear, and will tell you that you'll have to manually exit iPod from iTunes. Accept it.

From there, you'll see the iPod icon in the source list. Click to look at the iPod contents. From there, you can manually delete songs from it's library. Right click the song you want to delete, and select 'clear'. To delete in a large pack, do the old shift or ctrl trick.

You'll notice a blue triangle to the left of the iPod source list icon. Click this blue triangle.

The triangle will rotate, and expose what playlists are currently on the iPod. If you select a playlist, you can view/edit it's contents on the main display screen. To delete a playlist, right click on the list in the source list column, and select 'clear'.

That's it.

Remember, whatever playlists you keep on iTunes, will be automatically copied to your iPod - IF you choose to auto-sync the iPod to iTunes when you connect.

Hope it helps.

-SDP

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Oh well...gave it my best shot.

If I read Stephen's post, sounds like you need to do it manually. I personally do NOT have iTunes automatically sync to iPod...guess I am a control freak?

BGL

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmmm....let's see.

stephen, i am doing it manually. like brian, i do NOT want itunes auto-sync to my ipod.yeah, that's what i thought. it certainly looks like a one-by-one deal.

it's just seems stupid. if i delete a playlist from the ipod, why doesn't it delete the songs off the ipod as well? :confused:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Playlists have nothing to do with the songs. Playlists are just that - lists and pointers to the songs themselves. Deleting a playlist is simply removing the grouping of those particular tracks.

As far as the one-way street, Apple had to do that to appease the music industry. If not, you could take your 40GB iPod to my house and I could download your library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks