What's new

Apple Music - help a noob! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Man, are you against merging things together?
You haven’t merged your Vudu /Fandango either is the right?

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s been interesting hearing how my “Station” changes shape based on I’m listening to.

Initially it was a modern pop mix.

Then I listened to bunch of ‘80s rock one day and started getting too much Hair Metal.

Then I listened to a bunch of ‘80s discographies, and it turned in an odd New Wave ‘80s-ish station.

Then we used it at home to play the soundtrack station as background for board games. And my Station turned into a movie soundtrack station.

None of this is bad. But, I’d you don’t listen to a fixed style of music — I guess I’m a music buffet guy? — the station is always chasing after the last several plays. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Man, are you against merging things together?
You haven’t merged your Vudu /Fandango either is the right?

I didn't want to do it because it wasn't clear what that actually means and how that might affect my library of ripped music, including the info on albums, tracks, etc, which I had put a lot of effort into massaging/managing and don't want altered automagically by any such merge.

Yes, I'm not a big fan of automated merges, especially performed by something/someone that hasn't proven that great AFAIK -- Apple's past track record isn't quite that great AFAIK... and too little explanation, if any at all, seems given for this particular merge. And it's not because I mistrust all such tech/software regardless of their quality, etc, but more because I'm a seasoned software dev and understand/know how wrong such processes can go while not necessarily always avoiding them -- in software dev, doing code merges w/ various levels of automation may often be necessary afterall, but leaving it completely to automation (w/ no clear path to reversal or corrections) is generally not a good idea.

Anyway, I usually want to understand more what's going on w/ a merge (and whatever viable reversal/correction process available) before doing it. So far, Apple hasn't satisfied that for me AFAIK.

RE: Vudu/Fandango, I didn't do that merge before largely because I didn't really have anything all that worthwhile (exclusively) in my Fandango account to bother -- there were just 1 or 2 mediocre freebies that I don't already have in Vudu (and iTunes). But now, I'm finding they probably messed up my Vudu account (perhaps as soon as they implemented/deployed whatever changes for the merger) so I can't purchase anymore titles anyway... and the merge doesn't seem to work at all for me anyhow as I tried to see if that fixes things... And it's not as if everyone else is loving the Vudu/Fandango merge either anyway -- seems plenty of complaints...

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just got a free months sub to Apple Music. Works wonderful with a Bluetooth speaker. I want to play it on my Denon receiver. The only way I’ve found so far is air play and it is pcm and has only l&r channels. Any other way to cast from my iphone to Denon? I know I can use Apple Music on my Apple TV, but why go to that bother if I can do it on my phone.?

As far as the interface goes for the hour I’ve used it, I find Apple far superior to amazon.

I just got off the phone with apple. First csr couldn’t answer my question and she sent me to a senior advisor. Like the quality of apple’s music output, there wasn’t much difference. I’ve got Dolby surround selected in the settings, but apparently, if the music isn’t equipped that way, all apple will put out is pcm, 2 channel and my Denon does not expand the signal. So I end up with dull 2 channel sound in my HT.

Amazon on the Firestick puts out Dolby Audio-DD+ all the time. My Denon sends that out for an expansive found.

So far my best choice for portable music and HT music is Amazon. With a Firestick I avoid the skipping problem and get full theater sound. And Bluetooth speakers work fine.

To bad I liked the apple interface.

@Johnny Angell It’s just as easy to open app the app on the Apple TV also you will get the Atmos audio through that too.

You’re making it harder then it has to be.
I can see I wasn’t clear enough when talking about my experience with the CSR’s. On the same phone call we were talking about both the iphone and apple 4k versions. At no time were the CSRs able to help me get music output greater than 2 channel pcm on either platform. Neither one was aware, for sure, of what the max quality that Apple Music could do.

If you know how to do it, please, I’d love to receive your help.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I can see I wasn’t clear enough when talking about my experience with the CSR’s. On the same phone call we were talking about both the iphone and apple 4k versions. At no time were the CSRs able to help me get music output greater than 2 channel pcm on either platform. Neither one was aware, for sure, of what the max quality that Apple Music could do.

If you know how to do it, please, I’d love to receive your help.

No idea about using Airplay (from your phone) for that, but if you're not getting any spatial audio at all w/ your AppleTV 4K for songs that should have it, then check this I guess:

Do realize there may not be a lot available w/ spatial audio in Apple Music (yet). I haven't really cared enough to determine myself...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t streamed Music to my Denon using my iPhone because it’s unnecessary since it’s simple enough just to use the app on the Atv.
There I get Atmos audio.

Using my iPhone to stream in my car using blutooth is another story and issue.

This may be a problem with the car unit but when I stream an Atmos song to the car unit the Atmos badge indicator disappears.
If I turn off Atmos the lossless badge appears.

Playing Atmos songs the Atmos badge and any badge logo disappears on my iPhone including the lossless badge.
So the question is..
Will Atmos stream from an iPhone to either a compatible AVR or a car radio unit?
I have tried Turning Atmos to always on and auto on.

I’ll post pics later.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Just real quick I streamed some Atmos songs from my iPhone to my Denon and I’m getting Atmos audio. 🤷🏼‍♂️

813599EC-CB90-41AB-B310-51969BEBFD47.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven’t streamed Music to my Denon using my iPhone because it’s unnecessary since it’s simple enough just to use the app on the Atv.
There I get Atmos audio
What are your setting on your Apple TV and your receiver? I haven’t yet got it to work.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just tried this:
-Went into Bluetooth on the phone and made sure Denon was connected
-Went into settings and turned on Dolby Atmos all the time for Music App and Lossless is on.

That works. My receiver says the input is Bluetooth, Sound is Dolby Audio-Dolby Surround, signal is pcm, and all speakers are active. I like it. I think I had auto for Dolby before. I realize it is forcing a non-Dolby song into Dolby, but I like the sound. I’ll try it with the Apple TV too.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t think Atmos is supported over AirPlay. None of the Apple support docs I found give it as a means to do Atmos.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok. I opened the app on my iPhone started playing a song. Tapped the airplay thing. It gave me a dozen choices. I chose The Apple TV. It started sending the songs to my Apple TV with that info coming from my Denon.

When I get back I home I’ll donut again and choose the Denon.

Again though.
Johnny.
Why don’t you want to simply open the appletv music app?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If I can use the music app of the iphone, than I don’t have to turn the tv on.

What would be great is if the iPhone can control the ATV4K well enough for this to not have to use the TV.

There's a remote app built-in (on iOS), but it doesn't seem capable enough for that.

I'll probably just try adding a small monitor (via my Anthem prepro's 2nd HDMI out) to use for this so I don't have to fire up my projector...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok so I had a chance tonight to send an Atmos song to my Denon using airplay.

It apparently will only send 2 channel stereo to Denon through its HEOS configuration.
EC9745AC-29BF-4B50-B89F-22A281B01E0B.jpeg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Still. It’s not at all cumbersome or inconvenient to use the Appletv Music app. It’s all connected anyway and doesn’t require any extra steps.

It’s just a different button

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you’re already turning on the full system to use a streaming box to play music, then of course choose aTV (vs Fire vs Roku) to play your Apple Music.

But I can see how someone might want to fully initiate music from an iPhone and not have to interact with a streaming box at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFS
Recent bookmarks