What's new

Apple Music - help a noob! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not quite related, but something I learned just now trying to search Apple Music behaviors: toggle “infinity” play on or off if you do or don’t want Music to add more music automatically after a playlist or album. This probably explains what happened after the Harry Potter soundtrack ended: infinity mode continues with same-genre music.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Many, definitely. But I know a lot of people into music from well beyond college and continue look for new stuff in their 40s and 50s.
And even in their... 60s. ;) I can't imagine being restricted to only liking and listening to the same old music I listened to in high school and college. I still enjoy it, to be sure, but not exclusively.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been playing around with streaming Apple Music bit-perfect from my iPad Pro to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It works great, but I've noticed that there's a lot of content that isn't flagged as lossless. Perhaps Sam knows the answer to this - is it Apple's goal to eventually make its ENTIRE catalog lossless? I find the lossless roulette I'm dealing with now less than optimal.

EDIT: I see that the plan was to roll out the service with 20 million tracks, and having the entire 75 million track catalog available in lossless by the end of 2021:

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sure you can... I'm currently listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in album order. All I listen to is complete albums and always play through in track/album order. I'm using the web interface and free version and there *is* an option on the playback bar to "Enable shuffle" but I don't use it. It's the commercial interruptions at odd times that most annoy me. Since I'm using the free version I put up with the commercials but when they break into a segued song it's very annoying and throws off the listen.

Yes, you can listen in order on the desktop app and the web interface when using the free version of Spotify, but the mobile app restricts everything to shuffle.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes, you can listen in order on the desktop app and the web interface when using the free version of Spotify, but the mobile app restricts everything to shuffle.

Yep.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I said that as a reason I don’t use it on the first page.
It’s a deal breaker

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How are artists paid by the streaming platforms? Especially older one. The older day I played the folk group “Limeliters”. I imagine they don’t get much activity. Do they get any pay?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
…which winds up being almost nothing even for top performing artists.

This is part of the reason the price of concert tickets has skyrocketed in recent years, far outpacing inflation, and why artists are now offering all sorts of VIP packages for meet and greets, autographs, early venue entry, premium seats, additional charges for aisle seats, etc. All of that is about maximizing touring revenue to make up for the loss of album revenue.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
…which winds up being almost nothing even for top performing artists.

This is part of the reason the price of concert tickets has skyrocketed in recent years, far outpacing inflation, and why artists are now offering all sorts of VIP packages for meet and greets, autographs, early venue entry, premium seats, additional charges for aisle seats, etc. All of that is about maximizing touring revenue to make up for the loss of album revenue.
So big business is still screwing the artists.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just found a couple of tickets for Who concerts 1982 and 1989.

The price of these tickets is less then the fees that they charge now.
A4C0FC62-A2E2-4804-9781-482738CE5996.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Shazam app is much more useful with Apple Music. But its feature to add discovered tracks to a playlist just quit after a few songs. I can’t figure out why it broke out how to fix it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just got a free months sub to Apple Music. Works wonderful with a Bluetooth speaker. I want to play it on my Denon receiver. The only way I’ve found so far is air play and it is pcm and has only l&r channels. Any other way to cast from my iphone to Denon? I know I can use Apple Music on my Apple TV, but why go to that bother if I can do it on my phone.?

As far as the interface goes for the hour I’ve used it, I find Apple far superior to amazon.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just got off the phone with apple. First csr couldn’t answer my question and she sent me to a senior advisor. Like the quality of apple’s music output, there wasn’t much difference. I’ve got Dolby surround selected in the settings, but apparently, if the music isn’t equipped that way, all apple will put out is pcm, 2 channel and my Denon does not expand the signal. So I end up with dull 2 channel sound in my HT.

Amazon on the Firestick puts out Dolby Audio-DD+ all the time. My Denon sends that out for an expansive found.

So far my best choice for portable music and HT music is Amazon. With a Firestick I avoid the skipping problem and get full theater sound. And Bluetooth speakers work fine.

To bad I liked the apple interface.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@Johnny Angell, but if you'd end up using a Firestick for Amazon anyway, why not just use the AppleTV?

I actually often like streaming from my PC (using iTunes) over DTS Play-Fi to my HT when I'm at my PC... although something flakey has been happening w/ my iTunes program on the PC possibly ever since I added Apple Music service (but w/out doing the library merge). At first, I thought it was just flakey for Apple Music playback, but apparently, it's doing the same thing for my ripped music as well...

Anyway, I'd think your Denon AVR's Dolby Surround setting should do some sort of expansion for 2-channel PCM, but maybe it's not enough(?) for you. I don't generally care for that kind of thing at all...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread