What's new

It's All Happening At The Zoo (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For the night heron shots, I think I was only at 520mm with the extender (could go as much as 560mm) because the framing was too tight. It would have been an f/8 aperture. The shot without the TC was at f/7.1 and 400mm, if I recall. The lighting probably changed a little between shots since the sun was going in and out of the clouds, plus I shoot in RAW format and I would have made adjustments for highlights and shadows for each shot in Lightroom afterwards. Those adjustments may not have resulted in exactly the same look.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gotcha.

It's amazing to me that you would even be able to recall as much.

Thanks again for the schooling. There's so much I don't know... :biggrin: And it's one of those topics that intrigues me...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, when our memory fails there's also all the EXIF data the camera embeds in the image. Back in the old days you'd have to write everything down at the time or shortly after if you wanted to track your settings.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
Gotcha.

It's amazing to me that you would even be able to recall as much.

Thanks again for the schooling. There's so much I don't know... :biggrin: And it's one of those topics that intrigues me...

The only reason I recalled the details without looking at the EXIF data is that I was adding it to a post on a photography forum yesterday discussing the teleconvertor. Usually, I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch the day before. :lol:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
I've never seen any animal besides a domesticated dog have so much fun with a simple stick.

Nice shots, Sam. Having a clear view of a red panda is always a treat. The two at our zoo are usually hiding in the foliage of the trees. As much as we visit, we've seen them on the ground only three times, and only rarely get a clear view when they are in the trees.

There must be something about polar bears and sticks. Here's one from our zoo during an early spring visit.

451A2376-X2.jpg

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I just started my hobby of visiting the zoo, and try to visit them wherever I travel somewhere. And seeing this thread, makes me want to post some zoo photos, though mine not nearly as good as the ones already posted here, as I am not much of a photographer. And never easy to photograph animals, as they don't stay still long enough! :P

Here are a couple photos of hippopotamuses out of the water, from my visit to the Philadelphia Zoo back in early July.

Hippos eating...

h1.jpg

One of the hippos getting back into the water

h2.jpg

This is the first time that I have ever seen hippos out of the water.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
We are pulling in to Anchorage/Whittier as I type and we are hearing of a lot of recent beachings

Sam,

Enjoy Alaska. We were there last summer. I am looking forward to seeing some photos when you return. We just returned from a week in Yellowstone. I will post some photos once I can sift through all the shots from the 3 cameras I brought along for the trip. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I may have been unsuccessful in capturing any gray wolf photos in Yellowstone last week, but I did get some nice views of the two at the new exhibit at our local zoo this morning. This is the first time I've had a good look at the black male since the exhibit opened in late June. The white female was also out and about today.

NC7A1285-X2.jpg

NC7A1259-X2.jpg

NC7A1319-X2.jpg

A "Planet of the Apes" moment

NC7A1203-X2.jpg

I wish our football team's claws were as sharp last week as this wolverine's

NC7A1351-X2.jpg

The bush dogs were feeling a little "frisky" :wub:

NC7A1381-X2.jpg

The tiger was staying out of the heat

NC7A1193-X2.jpg

The bearcat just peaked out a little from the trees

NC7A1341-X2.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The butterfly one is beautiful. I love the out of focus wisps of leaves in the background and the gradual focus fall off of the leaves in the foreground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks