What's new

It's all about the elements! (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
There was an hour-long b&w drama series set in Germany in the aftermath of WWII called "Court Martial" that premiered on April 29, 1966 and it ran till Sept. 2, 1966. IMDB lists it as 1965, for some reason. It was a spin-off of a two-part episode (in color) from "Kraft Suspense Theatre" called "The Case Against Paul Ryker" that aired in 1963 and later ran in theaters as a movie called SERGEANT RYKER. Bradford Dillman and Peter Graves starred in the two-parter and went on to star in the TV series. Lee Marvin played Ryker in the two-parter. I've seen episodes of the "Court Martial" series on YouTube. What I saw was superb.

[P.S. I could swear I was posting this in the "Best Represented Year" thread. I'm gonna copy and paste it there. Wish I could delete it here, though.]

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Scott511 said:
From what I've been watching, or have watched, I would buy Jericho, Harry O, The Lieutenant, Nichols, Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, and Surfside 6.

I probably would not buy The Practice, McClain's Law, Flo, or some of the TV movies such as Fire, or Flood.
I was also impressed with THE LIEUTENANT and I'm not a big fan of Gary Lockwood. He and Vaughn seemed a little too young for the parts they were playing, but the writing on the show was superb. I am considering buying it.

HARRY O was a definite buy for me even before it started streaming. Same for SEARCH.

I only had a chance to watch the first episode of NICHOLS, but it was pretty entertaining and offbeat for its time. Not sure if I would buy or not.

JERICHO was kind of fun in that 60's WWII fashion, but I don't think it was strong enough where I would buy it unless it was for nostalgia reasons (I was 8 when it originally aired).

I enjoyed the episodes I sampled from 77 SUNSET, HAWAIIAN EYE and less so SURFSIDE, but they wore a little thin after awhile. I would probably get S1 from all of them, but only if they were pressed and on a deal like S1 of MAVERICK. The writing paled in comparison to other contemporary crime shows like M SQUAD and CHECKMATE. But I'm glad you liked them enough to add them to your collection.

MAYA had incredible location cinematography and a lot of Indian culture in it, but I can't get past Jay North who I just have never favored as any kind of an actor. Plus he's dubbed in by another actor in every show and that's very distracting.

I would also pass on THE PRACTICE, THE JIMMY STEWART SHOW, THE ROUNDERS and McCLAIN'S LAW.

So based on my tally above, you have convinced me that the streaming service was worth it as it potentially saved me a lot of money!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
is there stuff that you guys think you might like and buy, or not like enough to buy today - but tomorrow change your mind ?

personally, i get stuff of course if i like it.

but i also might purchase it in case 1) i might like it more in the future 2) someone i might associate with at some point in my life might like it

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil Brock said:
CBN bought a lot of old Sony shows but they weren't tapes, they were running them off of old 16mm prints. Shows like Farmer's Daughter, The Young Rebels, Empire, Wackiest Ship in the Army although they did air were never put to tape.
Neil,

CBN also aired Ben Casey and Sky King, both of which looked pretty good.
Were these also off of 16mm, or 1 inch tape ?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sky King said:
Neil,

CBN also aired Ben Casey and Sky King, both of which looked pretty good.
Were these also off of 16mm, or 1 inch tape ?
Ben Casey was one of the shows that Worldvision mastered to 1-inch tape and sold in their Evergreen package, along with other series such as The Fugitive, The Doris Day Show, One Step Beyond, Combat, The Invaders and some others. Unfortunately, they were timesped/cut to come in at what was then the common syndicated running time of 46:30 for a one hour show. Not really sure about Sky King.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Neil Brock said:
Ben Casey was one of the shows that Worldvision mastered to 1-inch tape and sold in their Evergreen package, along with other series such as The Fugitive, The Doris Day Show, One Step Beyond, Combat, The Invaders and some others. Unfortunately, they were timesped/cut to come in at what was then the common syndicated running time of 46:30 for a one hour show. Not really sure about Sky King.
CBS has acknowledged that "Ben Casey" would need remastering as the existing transfers are not acceptable. Also there are music clearance issues.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Gary16 said:
CBS has acknowledged that "Ben Casey" would need remastering as the existing transfers are not acceptable. Also there are music clearance issues.
This is the first time I've actually heard of CBS acknowledging Ben Casey.
The Ben Casey prints I saw on CBN, although not of Bluray quality, actually looked good...and I'm a stickler for such things. Since CBS has worked through music clearance issues with other shows like Gomer Pyle, I'm sure the same could be done with Ben Casey. Its more likely CBS has a lack in confidence in this show's sales potential.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I think there's no excuse when they have the MOD and license options, studios need to see the light in this and let smaller companies make what they can make from it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
I think there's no excuse when they have the MOD and license options, studios need to see the light in this and let smaller companies make what they can make from it.
What you aren't taking into account is that after the transfer costs, neither bigger or smaller companies can make any money from shows that will sell in the hundreds, not the thousands. The only reason we have all of those obscure Universal shows that we have is because Universal allows Timeless access to 16mm prints which they can have transferred at a fraction of the cost that it would take if they were done in house. None of the other studios are willing to do that. If CBS or Fox would open up their vaults and let the independents just borrow whatever they wanted to use, believe me there would be a deluge of shows coming out. But they don't and there's just no way that a profit can be made if the transfers are done by the studios themselves at their internal costs.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Of course, having viable usuable elements is no guarantee of a show's release either. Look at Disney and its multitude of unreleased/abandoned catoon shows. Tape masters all around.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Sky King said:
Since CBS has worked through music clearance issues with other shows like Gomer Pyle, I'm sure the same could be done with Ben Casey. Its more likely CBS has a lack in confidence in this show's sales potential.
Actually, CBS has a fairly poor overall track record for music clearances and Gomer Pyle was especially lambasted for the butchering job CBS did to it.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Neil, I started a new thread here about an upcoming VCI release of an old ZIV show on DVD, WATERFRONT, from 1954-55. Unfortunately, it's only a paltry ten episodes out of 78. I asked this in the thread, but got no response, so I'll ask it here because you might know the answer. Are these ten episodes public domain or the only ones with acceptable elements?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Professor Echo said:
Neil, I started a new thread here about an upcoming VCI release of an old ZIV show on DVD, WATERFRONT, from 1954-55. Unfortunately, it's only a paltry ten episodes out of 78. I asked this in the thread, but got no response, so I'll ask it here because you might know the answer. Are these ten episodes public domain or the only ones with acceptable elements?
Hi Prof . I think Neil might know more about this than I do, but it appears that about 40 episodes from 16 mm are "floating around " - I was able to acquire 44 episodes. I'm looking forward to VCI's release ,and hope more episodes will be forthcoming . VCI's collections on My Little Margie ,and I Married Joan are on 3 volumes and 34 episodes each, and they've released the complete Annie Oakley . So let's see what happens!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ken_Martinez said:
Of course, having viable usuable elements is no guarantee of a show's release either. Look at Disney and its multitude of unreleased/abandoned catoon shows. Tape masters all around.
I believe that good quality elements exist for The People's Choice ,and Love That Bob, both McCadden productions from the late 1950s. yet neither have ever been out on legit home video, and probably never will. Both shows have been on TV within the last 20 years .

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
John Karras said:
Actually, CBS has a fairly poor overall track record for music clearances and Gomer Pyle was especially lambasted for the butchering job CBS did to it.
John,

I never said CBS did a good job only that it was possible, if its the only way to get it on DVD. I wonder what music clearances have to be made for this show. I thought most production music for this show was "ln house" so to speak.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
LouA said:
I believe that good quality elements exist for The People's Choice ,and Love That Bob, both McCadden productions from the late 1950s. yet neither have ever been out on legit home video, and probably never will. Both shows have been on TV within the last 20 years .
I'd love to see these McCadden shows restored to DVD.
Unfortunately like most shows of this era, the more time that passes the less audience there is.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
What you aren't taking into account is that after the transfer costs, neither bigger or smaller companies can make any money from shows that will sell in the hundreds, not the thousands.
Transfer costs seems to be the biggest hurdle, not elements themselves or even the music-rights clearances.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have said it a hundred times before - if the studios really had no intentions to ever do anything with the show, they would easily sell the film to someone.

that says more to me about what they really think, long term, than anything that they do now - which is why i take it with a grain of salt when i hear how such and such studio is not gonna release such and such show, because it costs too much, or any one of a gazillion other reasons out there.

those reasons may very well be the correct reason as why they dont do so NOW.

but in life, one needs to separate the forest from the trees, if one wants to really understand the REAL PICTURE, instead of being led around by what people what you to think now.

the ability to do this well is one of the big attributes that have separated the best of military minds in history.

this is what i want you to think, because in the end, this is what i plan to do, and hope i surprise you more than you surprise me !!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
HenryDuBrow said:
I can't feel much sympathy for the studios that already own the telecine machines but still complain that it is "too expensive" to run transfers. While they may not make a fortune, it's a drop in the bucket compared to what they lose on stinkers like "The Lone Ranger" or really horrible mistakes like "The Interview". Yes, then lease them out and make at least make some people happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks