What's new

It's all about the elements! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi jack,

are the number of seasons correct in the following ?

that is impressive - we are getting lots of good releases

fbi 9 out of 9
girl fom uncle 1 out of 1
tarzan 2 out of 2
maverick 5 out of 5
dr kildare 3 out of 5

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, it's correct for all of them. I'll admit I would have expected S4 of Kildare by now given the quickness between S2 and S3 but I at least never have any doubt a title they start will get finished which is the other nice thing about Warner.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I couldn't care less how it (picture quality) looks at this point, just get it out there. Nobody seriously should expect pristine remastered Fox or Universal stuff, of shows they want nor should the studios expect the same numbers for MOD titles as they did for standard releases. It's a different world of formats now, but the interest in classic/rare television just can't be killed no matter how hard they try to give the impression it's somehow died. I think it's the same as it's always been there's always actors and material of interest, we've merely gotten further down the favorites on people's want lists now that's all.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Neil Brock said:
CBN bought a lot of old Sony shows but they weren't tapes, they were running them off of old 16mm prints. Shows like Farmer's Daughter, The Young Rebels, Empire, Wackiest Ship in the Army although they did air were never put to tape.
CBN aired Wackiest Ship in the Army!?!

We had CBN on cable when I was a kid, but I missed that broadcast totally! :(

Some great insight, thanks Neil!

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Professor Echo said:
Expert analysis and history, Neil.

Your gauge on Warners is absolutely correct and it's what is suffocating their streaming channel. Rather than air anything truly rare from their vast library, they choose to only program titles, both movies and television, that have undergone at least some remastering and then either upconverted to HD or in genuine HD, but still not looking good in the process. Anyone with access with TCM or the Warner Archive DVDs will find little that hasn't already been broadcast or released. They are focusing so heavily on picture quality and catering to HD sets that they adamantly refuse to show anything they deem less than pristine.

Add to that an awful, user unfriendly interface and lower tier technology with frequent outages and buffering, and they pose no threat to Netflix other than in choice of older material. Your monthly bill of $9.95 would be much better spent elsewhere.
Respectfully, I must disagree about Warner's streaming service.

I've had it for awhile now, and I rarely have any technical issues. As for what they offer, I've been able to watch McClain's Law, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Jericho, Lucan, and The Practice with Danny Thomas, all of those titles are NOT offered on disc at the moment. As for what they do already offer on disc such as Nichols, Harry O, and The Lieutenant I've been able to enjoy without making a blind buy and taking the risk of paying a high dollar amount on something I may not like.

That's not even mentioning the various films, TV movies, etc I've watched for the same fear of blind buying, or just the fact I viewed some titles as a kid and love seeing them again, but not really wanting to own those in my physical collection.

Of course I would LOVE to see more added that's NOT available to buy, but right now I'm satisfied with what I'm getting for the monthly fee.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Scott511 said:
Respectfully, I must disagree about Warner's streaming service. I've had it for awhile now, and I rarely have any technical issues. As for what they offer, I've been able to watch McClain's Law, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Jericho, Lucan, and The Practice with Danny Thomas, all of those titles are NOT offered on disc at the moment. As for what they do already offer on disc such as Nichols, Harry O, and The Lieutenant I've been able to enjoy without making a blind buy and taking the risk of paying a high dollar amount on something I may not like. That's not even mentioning the various films, TV movies, etc I've watched for the same fear of blind buying, or just the fact I viewed some titles as a kid and love seeing them again, but not really wanting to own those in my physical collection. Of course I would LOVE to see more added that's NOT available to buy, but right now I'm satisfied with what I'm getting for the monthly fee.
We can agree to disagree on the overall merits of the channel or lack of same thereof, but I do agree with you that in the short period I had it (three months for $15 total), it did offer the opportunity to sample some of the TV offerings that either haven't been released or have, but I didn't want to buy. So in that sense you are right, it was worth the $5 monthly charge, but not enough for me to be a steady subscriber. As for the vintage TV series on display that have been released, I enjoyed sampling most, but was glad I hadn't bought them after all. The shows that have yet to come out didn't impress me much either, though I would probably buy the single season of A MAN CALLED SHENANDOAH. I won't hijack the thread, but Scott, what did you see in old TV on the channel that you would or wouldn't buy?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Professor Echo said:
We can agree to disagree on the overall merits of the channel or lack of same thereof, but I do agree with you that in the short period I had it (three months for $15 total), it did offer the opportunity to sample some of the TV offerings that either haven't been released or have, but I didn't want to buy. So in that sense you are right, it was worth the $5 monthly charge, but not enough for me to be a steady subscriber.
gosh, i wish i had a nickel for every time i have heard this from someone. that is one of their major complaints about cable, directv, or probably just about any pay service that i hear from others.

when one is a new subscriber, everything is new. but 6 months later, there arent many changes - they just keep recycling the same stuff over and over.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Scott511 said:
As for what they offer, I've been able to watch McClain's Law, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Jericho, Lucan, and The Practice with Danny Thomas...
I think the key phrase from Professor Echo's post was "rather than airing truly rare from their vast library..."

McClain's Law, and Jericho ran on TNT; 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye were run to death on Goodlife; The Practice was in a syndication package that made the rounds of local stations; and some episodes of Lucan were around on various religious channels via a package that was being sold by Pacific Family Entertainment.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
John Karras said:
I think the key phrase from Professor Echo's post was "rather than airing truly rare from their vast library..."McClain's Law, and Jericho ran on TNT; 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye were run to death on Goodlife; The Practice was in a syndication package that made the rounds of local stations; and some episodes of Lucan were around on various religious channels via a package that was being sold by Pacific Family Entertainment.
However that was all years in the past. None of those programs has been available in a long time except on Warner's streaming service. Also since Goodlfe had such limited coverage I never had access to it in my area. So I'm happy overall with what they're offering.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
Then all you are doing is excluding a huge percentage of television from yourself. In spite of what the Pollyannas think, there will never come a day where every show or even more than 10% of the shows, will see an HD transfer. If you want to exclude that 90% from your viewership, that's your prerogative. I prefer to be able to have access to as much as I can, regardless of format.
I agree 100%. A DVD release from 16 mm. similar to what Timeless typically offers on obscure shows is better than no release at all.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Scott511 said:
CBN aired Wackiest Ship in the Army!?!

We had CBN on cable when I was a kid, but I missed that broadcast totally! :(

Some great insight, thanks Neil!
Whether by design or chance, they actually aired it in the same timeslot that it had aired on NBC, Sunday night at 10PM.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've seen a color credits sequence of Wackiest Ship on YT, but the only complete episodes uploaded were all in B/W. Were the prints aired on CBN in color?

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Jack P said:
I've seen a color credits sequence of Wackiest Ship on YT, but the only complete episodes uploaded were all in B/W. Were the prints aired on CBN in color?
All the CBN episodes were in color.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone else notice Warner Instant Archive no longer has the 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye episodes posted?

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
DeWilson said:
Anyone else notice Warner Instant Archive no longer has the 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye episodes posted?
Yes. They took those down shortly after they added Surfside Six. Hoping they will be back soon or maybe getting ready for a DVD release.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Professor Echo said:
I won't hijack the thread, but Scott, what did you see in old TV on the channel that you would or wouldn't buy?
From what I've been watching, or have watched, I would buy Jericho, Harry O, The Lieutenant, Nichols, Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, and Surfside 6.

I probably would not buy The Practice, McClain's Law, Flo, or some of the TV movies such as Fire, or Flood.

I've also been watching the Charlie Chan films that I haven't viewed in a long time, and a handful of other B&W film that I may or may not have already seen through the years.

I'd like to see The F.B.I. added as I have not watched the show since it was originally broadcast.

Back to the service for just a moment.

Obviously, I have no idea what you have in your collection, or how much of what they offer you've already watched over and over for years. However, if you have already had access to a lot of what they have, or not interested in the titles they do offer, I can totally see not wanting to pay for the service. I'd love to see a lot more rare material than what's up right now, although I do appreciate what they have put up.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
John Karras said:
I think the key phrase from Professor Echo's post was "rather than airing truly rare from their vast library..."

McClain's Law, and Jericho ran on TNT; 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye were run to death on Goodlife; The Practice was in a syndication package that made the rounds of local stations; and some episodes of Lucan were around on various religious channels via a package that was being sold by Pacific Family Entertainment.
I never ran across McClain's Law or Jericho on TNT. I've never had a service that offered Goodlife, so I've never watched 77 Sunset Strip, or Hawaiian Eye until Warner's service offered them. The Practice never aired in syndication in the area I lived. Nor have I ever had a chance to watch Lucan anywhere except when originally broadcast on ABC.

What may be rare to one person, may not be so rare to others.

Back in the day before DVD, my original broadcast copies of The Greatest American Hero, Knight Rider, Airwolf, The A-Team, Riptide, Hardcastle & McCormick, Street Hawk, to name a few were gold. I didn't think they were so rare because I had access all those years since I taped them in the early 80's. However, to those that did not have access to a VCR during those days they were rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks