What's new

Is this true???? No burn in on RPTV.... (1 Viewer)

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
I have never hear of this before....i won't believe it unless some says yes...

I read this this on the AVS forum...

"Sony 61HS RPTV that has a true 16:9 mode when fed a signal of 480P or 1080i on it's component input"

When someone asked, why no burn in?

a reply:
"The reason there is no burn in is because it is truly squeezing the whole scanning area of the CRTs into a smaller projected area. In other words, what is happening is that the CRT has, let's say, 600 vertical lines (that's not the right number, but use it). When you see a 4:3 image, you get 600 lines covering the entire screen height -- pretend its 30 inches tall. When you switch to 16:9, the "squeeze" is done in the optics of the set and those same 600 lines are squeezed into just 20 inches of screen height.

It is the phosphors on the CRTs that can burn in, not the screen itself, which is just a projection surface. Because you use the set with all the lines all the time, there is no burn-in risk. Nice, huh?"

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Okay, now that is an interesting idea.
Expensive, I suspect, but interesting, none the less.
(Actually, I just had an inspiration as to how one might be able to do it fairly easily... more later.)
From the standpoint of the different burn-in from a full 4:3 picture versus a full 16:9 picture, yes, it would resist the differential burn-in caused by not scanning the different 4:9'th of the picture. (Um, am I making up ratio math here? Is 4:9 the real difference between a 4:3 and a 16:9 picture?)
However, this would do nothing to protect you from, say, the differential burn that you would get by exclusively watching 2.35:1 scope pictures. Or even 2:1, or even, to some very slight extent, 1.85:1.
Now, reading that, my first thought is, "gee, doing the optical conversion repeatably is going to be tricky." After all, there are, in actuality, three light paths, and the conversion must be by inserting or removing an anamorphic lens/prism/mirror from the light path. Not only that, but it is possible, without drawing it out on paper, that they would have to use three slightly different lenses, given that the red and blue tubes are off-axis.
Now, five minutes after the initial inspiration, I'm not so sure about my quick solution.
My solution was to have an adaptive-optical mirror as the primary mirror right behind the screen... Suppose the mirror was flexible? And when you hit the 16:9 mode, little motors pulled back on a center-bar and deformed the mirror into a cylindrical mirror? But, since that initial inspiration, I've also thought: what about the off-axis for the red and blue? I'm no longer confidant that this would work - well.
Yet another solution has presented itself, and I have no idea if it would be financially practical to do this in any manner, shape, or form, especially considering that the CRTs are probably 7" or 8" in diameter, but I'll throw the notion out, anyway.
Panavision, some of you may know, made a series of projection lenses back, oh, I don't know, in the late sixties? Possibly earlier? I think that these were under the name of "Super Panatar," but don't quote me on that. These lenses had a big lever on the top. Once calibrated and configured, and getting the stops positioned just right, turning the lever from stop to stop would apply a variable horizontal distortion - from 1:1 (spherical) to 2:1 (panascope/ cinemascope.) You never had to change lenses, just twist the lever. (I think I heard that it could actually be adjusted to support something like a 3:1 horizontal stretch, but I'm really getting fuzzy here.)
This, I would imagine, would be an expensive way of doing it; especially since I would imagine the light sacrifice of this optical block would be unacceptable for most CRT type RPTVs - especially in the 61" range!
But, of course, your milage may vary.
Does anyone know how this unit actually works?
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Try a Malanta n996 (if you can find one) if your really worried about burn in like me.

It lets you zoom, stretch x or y, pan up or down, and a bunch of video adjustments. It can read the title image of your DVDs and it even has a screen saver. Good choice if your RPTV locks into full screen with 4X3 material in 480p.

I couldn't figure out how I was going to watch material to fill the screen up as much as I watched DVDs so the malanta n996 was my choice. They are kind of pricy at around $ 350.00 and the video/audio quality is not great but it sure is nice.

I know this is not much of a suggestion but nevertheless, it is one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks