What's new

$2,000 rptv what shoud like be looking at? (1 Viewer)

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for about a 2,000 rptv. I am completely new to this. I will use if for dvds/tv/video games. Do video games cause problem?? I am looking at either a 47/48 inch or 50 inches. I sit about 8-9ft away. I am worried about burn in but I read that as long as contrast is set correctly etc that I should be fine? Does that hold true for video games. Are some sets more likely to burn in that others in my price range? Any suggestions on what I should research will be greatly appreciated.

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

this website has factory refurbished hitachi's, i stumbled across this url yesterday on avsforum.com
hard to find a better deal on an RPTV

[ADMIN AGAIN: JUST PM JAKE WITH THE URL. THANKS!]

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Jake - I was recently shopping for exactly the same RPTV. Approximately 48-50", for around $2,000. For what it's worth, here are my top 3 recommendations:

1) Mitsubishi WS-48311
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...-20673705.html

2) Sony KP-46WT500
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...7.html?tag=dir

3) Toshiba 50HDX82 http://att.cnet.com/electronics/0-63...0.html?tag=dir

In the end, I decided to purchase the Mitsubishi, because of it's array of PIP capabilities, picture quality and enclosure design. It is the only RPTV I found that you can fully enclose within a cabinet. It has an inset underneath the screen frame of ~ 2", so you can literally hide the entire enclosure, as in my wall unit design:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/ht/ecenter7.jpg

You can get a slightly stripped down version of the Mitsubishi WS-48311 at Best Buy; it's called the WS-A48 and among other things it lacks defeatable edge enhancement. You can get it white-glove delivered for around $2,080 from some respectable online shops.

The Toshiba 50HDX82 is very nice, and displays standard content (regular ol' cable) programs very well, so it is a great choice if you regularly watch standard content TV programs. You can get it white-glove delivered for around $1,950 from some respectable online shops.

The Sony KP-46WT500 has some great reviews, and I think the SonyStyle.com web site is offering a free delivery w/ free stand right now, for $1,999. My only complaint about this TV is a subjective one. I don't like the enclosure design at all. I prefer black, and furthermore the overall design of the enclosure makes it difficult to fit within a variety of traditional room styles. But if it looks like your living room was designed by Steve Jobs and Andy Warhol after a few bong hits, then I think it would fit right in :cool:

Hope this helps, and for those who own a KP-46WT500, please forgive me my critical appraisal of the design :D

Sean.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jake, though many of our younger members love their video games on a great big screen, I'd advise you limit your primary display to home-theater purposes only and use a smaller direct-view set to play your games. Games do shorten a set's useful lifetime. Also, we've had some members report cases of video-game burn-in on their RPTVs—even after they had been ISF-calibrated.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Games may lessen the life of a (RPTV) set? Curious...due to the potential burn in factor or something else like extra stress in the internals somehow? More clarification on this statement could be useful.

This 'older' member has no issues with burn in on my set (before or after it being ISF'd) due to playing games, 35% games, 60% Movies, 5% TV.

I think there is this myth out there that the second you use your 'HT RPTV' for gaming you will get burn in.

Yes, there IS a risk, but so is walking out of your house, you just need to pay attention to what your doing.

Turn the sets Contrast/Picture/Brightness down (calibrate!), play for 'blocks' of time, if you pause for any reason, turn the set off or change inputs to a 'moving image'.

That said, YMMV ;)

Edit = Spelling

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate the help guys, but I ended up going with front projection. I wanted to be able to have my speakers DVD, game systems, hooked to one display with out risking burn in. Until now I have never had better than an average 32" tv, so the slight knock in picture quality from front projection, to widescreen tv was worth it. The added size does give it more of a theater feel too at a slight cost of black levels, and blown up artifacts, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread