What's new

Is this a setback for HD-DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,

After reading this entire message thread, I personally think what the DVD Forum people want is NOT to have high-definition (720p/1080i/1080p) DVD-sized discs using the current physical format with its exposed media surface area.

I think it will end up being we'll see high-definition videodiscs that while it uses the same physical disc size as normal DVD's and are read by blue-spectrum lasers, the disc itself will be held inside a cartridge like a magneto-optical disc cartridge to prevent scratching the surface of the disc. And the disc will probably have storage capacity around 40-50 gigabytes, which is probably enough to hold at about a three-hour movie in 1080p mode. Also, the new HD videodiscs will likely have much stronger encryption (probably at least 256 bits), so copying the disc on a home computer will be extremely difficult because it would take too long to break 256 bit encryption.

By the way, there will be adapter cartridges available that you put a normal DVD disc into so they can be played on these new players in compatibility mode.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
Well I thought poking a grizzly bear with a stick until it attacked and then seeing if you could survive was the stupidest thing i ever head, WELL I WAS WRONG divx takes the cake!!!
What about the millions and millions of people that dont have internet and even if they did why would they want to connect just to watch a movie DUH!!. I think everyone should get a big money pot going and collect a bunch of cash and then buy some shovels and hit all the divx supporters until they get some sence knocked into them!:D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks