What's new

Is this a setback for HD-DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Not quite--DivxGold discs could be played on any registered Divx-compatible player, while regular Divx discs converted to DivxSilver could be played on any player registered to the account. Regular Divx rental discs could be played at no extra charge on any player registered to the account, provided that the new viewing period was started during within the original one. Finally, registered Divx players didn't have to be connected to a phone line at all times (once every few weeks was sufficient).

This system sounds a lot more restrictive.

RD

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>But extend the idea just a little and all the content, including the movie itself, comes down the wire to the player owned by the consumer who bought the disc. In essence the DVD is nothing but a entry ticket, perhaps with some free content on board that the industry doesn't mind giving away.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I think this could actually be a good thing. Obviously it'll delay the progress of HD-DVD but I was never holding out much short-term hope for that anyway -- it'll be awhile before the studios commit themselves to the format what with existing DVD sales being as astronomical as they are and HD not really anywhere near the market penetration the studios would want to warrant the switchover. It seems to me that if the manufacturers and studios do indeed go along with this plan for an interim format utilizing ultra-restrictive DRM, we'll have a lower probability of getting an HD-DVD standard with similarly draconian DRM measures, since I cannot conceive of a format so restrictive being any kind of success. If this red-laser DRM format comes out and tanks the manufacturers and studios may think twice before trying something similar with HD-DVD.

That's the glass-half-full way of looking at it, anyway.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Yeah, the studios know DIVX bombed, but be assured that they certainly liked the control DIVX afforded them.
Apart from Disney and Fox, most of them didn't seem to care one way or the other (Paramount and Dreamworks signed on initially, but later developed cold feet). In fact, Warner, one of the biggest studios, did everything it could to sink the format.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, is the DVD Forum proposing this idea INSTEAD of HD-DVD or just as something for the interim until HD-DVD comes out? Personally, I think this sounds like the dumbest idea I've ever heard and I will have absolutely no interest in this product. I figured it was going to be hard enough to justify the upgrade from current DVD to HD-DVD, but now it sounds like that might not even be a concern for a while.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's supposed to be an interim format, Brent. Which doesn't excuse it. Those idiots really should know better.

I (and I have a slight feeling I'm not alone ;)) don't want to depend on a third party for access to the content I ALREADY F**KING PAID FOR!! What if a provider goes belly up? I can't access the films I've "bought". What if my ISP has a breakdown and I'm left without net access for a couple of days? Can't access the films I've "bought". What if I upgrade my hardware? Can't access the films I've "bought". What if... Well, you get the idea. Let's hope the DVD Forum gets it as well. I like to be in control of the content I'm paying for. Period. I want to watch my film collection when I want, and where I want. Anything less is unacceptable.

And oh yeah... Bring on BluRay, Sony! Seems to me that if the Forum goes ahead with this moronic scheme, BluRay's potential "early adopter" userbase will grow exponentially, as we walk away from this Big Brother-ish "enhanced" DVD.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Count me out, that's for sure. The piracy paranoia (which this is really all about, the internet connection content is merely a cover for their product activation) just isn't all that warranted in the movie industry. It's a huge concern in the recording industry, but come on, I can walk into Best Buy and buy a movie for less then its soundtrack. As long as the movie studios keep offering the huge value in DVD ($25 for all the content on Fellowship fo the Ring EE, $15 for Attack of the Clones, etc.), I'll never be interested in pirating a badly compressed DivX file with 1.0 channel sound. There are some pirates yes, but not near at the level of music, and it's not just because the bandwidth doesn't exist, a lot of it is perceived value.

As for what I want in HD-DVD, 1920x1080p, MPEG-4. High end audio, although I think 96/24 may be overkill IMO. I don't want any codec that is owned and controlled by one company, and that definitely includes WM 9.

Edit: just thought I'd add, the good news is we can torpedo or endorse any format we want. DVD has hit critical mass and so our power as HT Enthusiasts has diminished, but any new format is going to hit the enthusiasts first. If we don't get on board, it will never have a chance to reach widespread acceptance. Unlike VHS/Beta, we can pick the winner ourselves. Let's make sure we pick a good one.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I like to be in control of the content I'm paying for. Period. I want to watch my film collection when I want, and where I want. Anything less is unacceptable.
I think that's the whole point behind sell-through, and consumers buying discs that they might only watch once, even though they keep them for many years.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
This sucks. If they switch to this and stop producing DVDs that would be terrible. I haven't been following the whole HD-DVD thing, but this just sounds like the worst idea ever. How many times are we gonna have to buy a movie. You get the original release, the SE release, now the enhanced release, and soon the HD-DVD release. It's ridiculous. Although I would be behind HD-DVD if the players were compatible with regular DVDs. Although I'm happy with the current DVD format.

Rasmus

Auditioning
So... should we start a campaign against this nonsence? If every member of this forum wrote a letter to dvdforum and said that they wanted a real blu-ray HD-dvd, thhey would get over 40.000 letters, which i think will give them something to think about!

Mark.J

Auditioning
Don't forget, it is us, the home cinema enthusiasts, that first buy the new technology, which in turn evenutally lowers the cost for people down the technology chain to eventually buy it - until the players become available for $80 :)

So if we don't buy it, in turn the price doesn't drop as much and therefore people who would like it but wont pay the expensive price wont buy it, and it dies.

The consumer rules the market (mostly)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
First Divx, then Disney's disposable discs, now this lame-brained scheme - all proof positive (as if it were needed) that there is a serious drug problem in Hollywood.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: A thousand times :thumbsdown:

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
These people have built and run corporations that take in billions of dollars per year. Surely that are not so stupid as to think this is a good idea. Who would embrace this. Certainly not the HT enthusiasts who gave DVD such a strong start. Nor will the common public, who are now making DVD the most popular format ever. This is such a bad idea as to almost sound like a joke.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
As for what I want in HD-DVD, 1920x1080p, MPEG-4. High end audio, although I think 96/24 may be overkill IMO. I don't want any codec that is owned and controlled by one company, and that definitely includes WM 9.
Then I guess you don't want DTS, DD, or MLP either? Those are all proprietary audio codecs. Or were you referring to just video codecs?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
This is frickin' bullshite!!!

No sale. Screw you DVD Forum!!

The latest Toshiba/NEC AOD blue laser ideas were picked apart in an interview article in the newest WSR magazine. The two AOD spokesmen even stated the group would be interested in at least DVD-Audio quality sound to go along with 1080p video (that's why the bitrate was chosen to be ~30 Megabits/sec rather than DVD's 10). It also looks like they're trying out various high efficiency video codecs so they can blend it with high rez audio. And they'd be ready for public release by 2005 or early 2006 if given the go-ahead once the new governing body is in place for the DVD Forum.

Now, if Blu-Ray can do one better (since they have more capacity and an even higher usable bit rate) then that would be a killer HD format!!

And then the DVD Forum comes up with this internet enabled, DIVX-like crap using the same tired red laser technology...

Morons!

Dan

P.S. As I'm throwing around bitrate data, it seems like the actual usable video bitrate for D-Theater/D-VHS releases is only 19.3 and the rest is for audio and their encryption key. So, having that much more bit real estate and a better video codec than MPEG-2 on AOD and Blu-Ray should improve the picture that much more.

Kami

Screenwriter
I will boycott. Once this becomes common knowledge the uproar will be huge among enthusiasts and hopefully places like this spearhead the campaign against it.

Absolutely ridiculous.

No storage upgrade, and psuedo-divx crap? No sale.

MikeHughes

Agent
How is it, that those funny guys over at dvd-forum so keenly defy reality? Is it something with their heads or is it purely drug related?

There are not nearly enough broadband subscribers to justify this most silly kind of idea.

But then again, after having too much alcohol I might even come up with some silly ideas myself. But I would at least have the decency not to trouble everyone with those drug induced phantasms. :D

MikeHughes

Agent
Besides, I do favor the idea of myself having full control over the content stored on the media in question. And now here's some friendly advice to our friends over at dvd-forum: CUT THE CRAP! :)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter

Yes, there am many thousands of HTFers who am going to upgrade to this format. Me am one of them. Us think it is great idea!

Me must go now as mailman just bit dog.

Bizarro Jan

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Compression artifacts are annoying as it is... can you imagine how compressed HD will have to be to fit on a disc. It will probably look more like a high definition slide show.

I hope Big Brother and the Reds (as in laser) enjoy their new standard.

I think I'll go out and get another DVD player now even though my player is brand new. That way I can ride out this 'standard'.

Look at the bright side though, by voting it in, they just killed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks