What's new

Is this a decent setup/pricing for paradigm? (1 Viewer)

Asalante

Agent
Went to the only local brick and mortar that sells Paradigm around me. I was just curious if this is a decent selection, and acceptable prices. That is the sub I was thinking of and haven't decided on the CC yet or if I should go with the Monitor 9's or 11's. They sell most of these as a package with a receiver and dvd player for 3grand but I forget what they were at the moment. Focusing on the speakers for now. This will mostly be HT usage. Thanx all for any input.

Performance Series:
CC-270 $349.99
ADP-170 $449.99

Monitor Series:
Monitor 9's $849.95
Monitor 11's $999.95
CC-370 $379.95

PW Series:
PW-2100 $750.00 (this is all US$)

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I have monitor 9's and an very happy with them. I considered the 11's, but didn't hear enough difference in the sound (the 9's actually play a litle lower, but the 11's have a dedicated midrange). If it was me, I'd buy the 9's and upgrade to the PW-2200 sub (Which I have, btw and it ROCKS!). I do think that if I were doing it all over again though, I would get direct radiators for surrounds instead of the ADP's. I'm wanting to get into SACD and they would work better, I think.

Steve

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
are those prices before a discount or after? when i was looking, a couple months ago...the 11's had a tag of $1050, and i could get them buy one get one half off...i opted for 7's (same deal as 11's) since i will eventually get a sub, and i figured it wasn't necessary to get the 11's or 9's...

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You should expect to get 10% or so off, if not haggle more and leave if they don't want your business. If my dealer has a buy one get one half off, I'd be all over that. That was for the current versions? It's up to your ears, but the 9's and 11's sound drastically different so don't just let price dictate which to buy. I didnt' care for the 9's myself, I found them muddier and flatter than the 11's. The CC-370 is $350 retail, so the dealer is pulling your chain on that. 11's are $1050, forgot what the 9's were. Also, I just went to the ADP-370's for the rears after having Monitor 7's back there for about a year. The dipoles are so much better for movies IMO. And since I haven't expanded my DVD-A collection like I thought I would, I'm not missing much for that format. Again, give each surround a listen and see what you prefer. Good luck.

Asalante

Agent
I'm not sure if these prices are with or without any sort of discount. He showed me a bunch of equipment and played some dvds and cd's on various speakers for me to listen to. I do agree the 11's sounded better than the 9's. I'll have to check into the CC-370 price and see what they will sell them for. Also do you think the ADP-370 will be that much better than the ADP-170's for rears? This is going to be mostly movie usage after all. Thanx again.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
i have mini monitors for rears, and think they do a great job...i didn't really care for the adp's when i auditioned them.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I can't say for certain since I didn't listen to the 170's, but would tend to think that with the diffuse sound of dipoles, it may be harder to tell the difference between the high and lower end models. Even when considering the Studio 100's for the front, my dealer thought the 370's would perform and match just as well as the Studio ADP's.

If you look at the Paradigm specs pages for Monitor series and the Performance series, you'll see that there are three types of main woofer driver technology use, as well as three different tweeters used.

The CC-170 and CC-270 use the same tech as the ADP-170.

The CC-370 uses the same tech as the ADP-370 (I wish there was an ADP-270).

If you want to match the drivers so that the system is more timber-matched, you might want to consider this.

Otherwise, I notice that the ADP-170 doesn't reach as low as the 370, which would make you have to play with the crossover for that speaker, or raise it overall, or live with a dip in the frequency response.

Adam.More

Auditioning
What do you guys think of B&W? I live near Windsor, Canada and was thinking about going to Paradigm studio to see them in person. (Probably end up bringing them back with me!)

Asalante

Agent
Checked with the local Brick and mortar again. They qouted to me

Monitor 11's
ADP370
CC370
PW2200
(this is system 8 off paradigm site recommended systems) Says $3000 buck for it.

ADD
Sony DVD NC555 ES
Sony STR DA1000 ES
then add theses 2 components and there will be no tax for $4300 with the speakers.

Sony 34" XBR for $2499

All total for $6800 and he said he would make the tax go away so to speak lol. Hows that for the speakers anyhow?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks