Last Home Theater Setup - Paradigm

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bepaof8, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Bepaof8

Bepaof8 Agent

Sep 2, 2006
    I am retired, on a fixed income, and am looking to upgrade my home theater setup for what will probably be the last time. I don't listen to music at home, so the setup will be for 100 percent movies (437 DVD library) - 0 percent music. My current setup features:

5 Energy Take 5 speakers
    Twin 10" Energy subwoofers (love LFE)
    (Sony STR-DE830 A/V Receiver)

After six months or more of internet research, looking for best quality/value/DEPENDABILITY in the price range I can afford, and some limited auditions, I have pretty much settled on the following 5.1 setup:

Paradigm Mini Monitors (front)*
    Paradigm cc-370 (center)*
    Paradigm adp-370's (surround)*
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 Sub
    (Yamaha RX-V559 A/V Receiver)

There are a lot of more expensive speakers - I can't afford them!
    There are many competitive speakers - I have to go with the best reputation I can find.

Instead of telling me what might be (or might not be) better, how about some advice from you guys who actually have some experience with any of the items I've settled on... even opinions, if you can justify them! Good/bad or whatever. Anything there that I may be making a major mistake on?

I've read comments that indicate that Paradigm Monitors sound 'flat' and 'laid-back'. Can anyone explain that to me? I've heard the Mini Monitors, and I don't know what they're talking about. Is it real, or is it audiophile-snobbery-talk?

Please excuse my long-windedness...

* Someone mentioned Paradigm price increases. My understanding for the speakers as listed is $429 US/$399 US/$749 US. Anyone know of MSRP increases beyond that?
  2. HongHuynh

HongHuynh Agent

Jan 22, 2004
    I have a pair of Mini Monitors and a CC370. The Minis have been replaced with Sonus Faber Concertinos but the CC370 is still in my setup. I do not have the ADPs so I can't comment on those.

The Minis are not laid back or neutral. The sound is somewhat forward due to it's slight brightness (becuase of the tweeter). Due to the brightness, the speaker is good for hometheater use. For music, you can do a LOT better (but you said you won't be listening to music so that shouldn't be a problem).

Most people will tell you that you should spend a little more for speaker A or speaker B because it is blah blah blah. If you've decided on a model and you like how it sounds, then that is what matters. The only thing you need to make sure you don't do is listen to a better speaker because deficiencies in the speaker you choose will be revealed then you may not be happy with your decision. If that happens, nothing will sound right in your setup.

The Minis are quite capable and a good speaker (for the price). There are many speakers that will best it but there is no point in talking about that if you don't have the budget for it.

I bought my Minis for $399 + tax (Cdn). They retailed for $500. I have not heard of price increases for Paradigm. In fact, I was at my dealer yesterday and the prices are still the same. With speakers, you should be able to get 20% off the retail price. Even with the Sonus (my dealer is the only one that carries them in the province), I was able to get 20%.

I will not comment on the Yamaha because I do not like their sound so my opinion will be biased.
  3. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi Pete - that's a very well-rounded system! You may also want to considering browsing to AudiogoN to pickup a pair of used Paradigm Studio 20's for your fronts, and Studio CC-470 for your centre, as these will bring your system to a whole new level (for a very similar price to purchasing new Monitor Series).

Let us know what you eventually purchase! You will really enjoy the Mini-Monitor's in any case [​IMG]
  4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    Pete: as long as you've gone auditioning thoroughly and settled in on these speakers as what you liked the most, then you are making the right decision for you.

I am a fan of paradigm in the entry/mid-fi range, they have solid performance, though their value has slipped because their prices have gone up. I had Mini monitor V3 a couple years ago when they were $350 and they're solid all-around speakers and they definitely do great with music in 2-channel. I have since moved on to much more expensive Dynaudios, but Paradigm is always a solid choice.

You're not likely to find comparable/better performance unless you look at internet-direct speakers from Onix, Ascend etc.

SVS is always a good choice too.

It sounds like you've assembled a very solid system that you're planning to get!
  5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    I have been a happy owner of Paradigm Monitor series speakers for over eight years. I really like their sound. Choosing what is right for you is a very personal decision. If you like the sound of the Paradigm Mini-Monitor, then that is the best choice for you. Only your ears can tell you what is the best choice. It is generally accepted that Paradigm is one of the best "bangs for the buck". Enjoy.