What's new

New home theater (1 Viewer)

sam37

Grip
Real Name
Sam
Hello there, first time poster.

Currently I am considering upgrading my home theater system. I've not a huge budget, but am looking for the best bang for my buck. The current system I have is a Yamaha RX-V463 with a set of Cinema 110 speakers from Paradigm. The first thing I am looking to upgrade is my speaker system and have had a hard time deciding which way I want to go.

The local retailers around here have a limited supply of speakers. Audio Express sells Klipsch and Paradigm, Best Buy sells Klipsch, and I think some JBL, Circuit City sells Klipsch and I think Polk Audio.

I've listened to some Paradigm monitor 9's and monitor 7's, but I think the setup they had them on was not really that good, I wasn't very impressed. However, they did have a set of Klipsch floorstanding speakers set up with a Paradigm sub which sounded pretty decent. I wish they would have had the same setup with the paradigm's (the digms were just set up on a wall of speakers where the klipsch were in one of their "theater rooms"). I do believe that the digms would sound better in a better setup.

Audio Express has a set of Monitor 7's they are clearing out for $550 and a set of Monitor 9's they are clearing out for $679. I'm leaning toward the 9's. However, I really haven't given Klipsch their due yet, so I intend on checking out some more systems using the klipsch speakers to see what I like.

I have been looking at subs right now. I intend to upgrade slowly, replacing pieces of my cinema 110 speakers piece at a time, starting with the sub.

I looked at the Klipsch website and it looks like all their subs power ratings are in the 350-500 watt range (unless you want to spend $4000 for a 1000 watt sub), whereas the Paradigm subs seem to give you more power for the buck, with their subs ranging from 900-1500 watts (for their "Paradigm" speakers....their reference subs go upwards of 4500 watts, but are out of my price range).

The two I have looked at are the Ultra-Cube 10 and the DSP-3200. I have listened to them and can't make up my mind between the two. The DSP-3200 is a 12" sub but only rated at 900watt peak/300 watt RMS, the Ultra-Cube has a 10" sub with dual radiators but is rated at 1500watt peak/650 watt RMS. Both have very similar frequency response. I wish I could audition both on my system, but I don't think they would allow me to bring them home and try them out on my system in my home before buying them.

The Ultra-Cube 10 they are selling for $679 and the DSP-3200 they are selling for $699, so there is not much difference between them. What I am looking to find out is if anyone out there has had experience with either of these subs and what they thought, which one gave them the best performance.

Also, I am curious as to why the Klipsch subs in this range seem to have a much lower power rating, and if that makes any difference. I know either is going to be a big improvement over the sub I currently have, but if I am going to spend $600-$800 for a sub, I want to get the most for my money.

I hate that you cant get prices on the dealers websites for Paradigm, because you can't compare prices and "find a good deal". For example, part of the speakers I am looking at include the ADP-390's for my surround speakers. For some reason, I think the local retailer is asking WAY too much for these, but I don't know because I have nothing to compare to. If I recall correctly, they are asking about $899 for a set of ADP-390 speakers, which just sounds too high to me. Would be nice if someone could price them and report back to me what they are being sold for in their area, just to see if the price they are offering them for is out of reason.

What I am looking at now:

Paradigm Monitor 9's: $679
Paradigm DSP-3200 sub: $699 (or Ultra-Cube 10: $679)
Paradigm ADP-390 surrounds: $899
Paradigm CC-390 center channel: (havent priced this yet)

Now then, looking at those prices, do you think I could do better with another brand? What do you think about JBL and Polk Audio?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Everyone that's listened to these, have loved them. Everyone I know anyway. Reviews for them are great, and a lot of us already know that they make one of the best subwoofers on the planet. Their customer service is also outstanding, from everything I've heard. Check these out.............
SVSound - Complete Systems
From everything I've heard about them, they can't be beat, for the money.
Good luck with whatever you get.

sam37

Grip
Real Name
Sam
I looked at their site last (SVS that is). Looks like I could probably afford one of their SB12Plus subs @ $749. I'm assuming that is a 12" sub at 425 watts. Great frequency response.

Their fronts are a bit pricey though. About $1400 for a pair of MTS-01 tower speakers. The one thing that I noticed is it seems that SVS doesnt sell any di-pole surround speakers. It seems that you get a pair of their bookshelf speakers as your surrounds. Someone with more experience could answer this question for me; do you not get better sound out of your surrounds with the di-pole than you do with regular speakers?

However, I may look at mixing my speakers, but I am not sure if that is wise. What do you think? Have an SVS sub and put it with a set of Klipsch or Paradigm fronts, rears and center? Or is it best to stick with one brand for all of your speakers?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you look at the Dolby Labs site and their suggestions for speaker placement, they are all direct radiating speakers. I think that dipole preference would depend entirely on your room.

It is fine to have a different sub than your regular speakers because it plays a different frequency range. Having your front three timbre matched is minimum. Having all 5 or 7 timbre matched is best. Because they all play over the same frequency range.

And SVS has a very simple naming convention. SB = Sealed Box. PB = Ported Box. PC = Powered Cylinder (all cylinder subs are ported) CS = Cylinder Series (ported, not powered. You add your own amp.) Don't pay any attention to amp power when looking at subs. That's like saying a 500 HP diesel truck will beat a 100 HP car in a race just because it has more horse power. The amp is chosen based on enclosure type, size and driver parameters. It is explained best in Hoffman's Iron Law.

-Robert

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
One of the best things about buying your speakers from SVS is that you are eliminating the middle man. This way you know you are not getting over charged by your box store/retailer.

I am an installer, and I use SVS a lot. I don't get as good of profit margins, just because they sell them so cheap direct to the consumer. Other brands offer the ability for up to a 100% mark-up. I don't use SVS to make a big profit on them, I use them because the customer is always happy. Not to mention that if something goes wrong with any of their equipment, they will take care of it. Awesome customer service. That can save my relationship with a customer in the long run.

I wish they had a bigger product line, but from what I hear, they have plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks