What's new

Please recommend decent sounding piece of furniture... (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am tired of looking at the ugly black boxes I currently own. There was a time when I wanted my living room to be HT first and living room second, but no longer. I will be ditching my venerable SVS for something more discreet as well. So the criteria for my next speaker purchase will be:

1- stylish, classy, original.
2- Good sound on par with my current setup (Paradigm Monitor series). I am no audiophile but I am not willing to compromise SQ too much either. I am completely satisfied with my current setup in that regard.
3- Space limitations are pushing me toward monitors rather than floorstanders, but I could make the later work if it's the right speaker.
4- Budget is a concern.

For reference, the Norh Marble 4.0 is on my short list. $700 is more than I would like to spend for a pair of speakers, but they look absolutely gorgeous and I have wanted them for a long time:

Still, I may have to settle for the Ceramic version ($450).

I looked at MMGs ($550) as well but placement would be problematic, as they need to be feet away from the wall (or so I heard)

But I think you get the idea. I am just looking for speakers that you think look good, sound good, and priced under $1000 (I will probably spend less, but this figure gives more latitude to suggestions :) )

--
H

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Both on sale for $499/pr and both excellent speakers. The latter being more 2CH oriented than the former. My father-in-law has the Ref 1's and it's amazing how full a sound they produce for their size. Real rosewood veneer to boot and drop dead gorgeous. They'll easily compete with the Paradigm Studio series speakers in terms of sound quality.

As much as I love the Maggie sound, they definitely require some space to shine so will likely not be what you're looking for.

Rocket RS 450

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=90.1

Ref 1

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=23.1

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I just got a pair of NHT Classic 3's (since I lost the B&W's - another thread) and I think they are drop-dead gorgeous. They look a little unconventional but definitely high tech (looking), somewhat along the lines of your North Mable speakers. They retail for $900 but if you look around you can get them cheaper. I missed a pair on Audiogon for $525 before I found a pair locally for $500. I'm still breaking them in but I think they sound fantastic so far. They take a bit of power to drive though. Don't buy them on sale online from Legacy Audio Video if you decide to go this route, however.

http://nhthifi.com/2006/products/ht/three.html

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Not to mention the fact that they sound awesome too. I was very impressed with them, especially their tweeter.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I happened upon the Focals the other day at Tweeters. They look nice, but that picture is quite deceiving :).

As far as pretty boxes go, The Polk LS15 look fantastic, and would be the perfect fit (preference for monitors notwhistanding, they just look awesome with the wooden side panels). Too bad they are out of my price range:

I've been looking at the Rockets as well, but I think tey might be a bit too redish/pinkish for me. But it's hard to truly judge that sort of stuff on a monitor.

Incidentally, "Rocket" is a horrible name for a speaker brand that purports to cater to enthusiasts. Regardless of soud quality, it sounds incredibly cheap. How hard is it to find or make up something that sounds a little (a lot) classier?

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sure, but a purchase is months away. Just feeling the waters for now.

I like your name. South African? Zulu? Or just a fan :)

--
H

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Just a fan. You're the first and only person who knew it was Zulu. Kudos to you! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks