What's new
World Wide Stereo

New to the forums, need advice! (1 Viewer)

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Let me preface this with the fact that I am NOT an audiophile, but I do understand it. I have a system consisting of a Panasonic 50' plasma, PS3,Xbox 360,Digital HD DVR cable box, and a Denon AVR-1705/685 reciever with a JBL scs300.7 7.1 channel speaker setup. That has a 10" 150 watt subwoofer and I am also running an old Paradigm 100w 10" sub in the rear of my small front room (14x16ish) . I have two subs because I like it as my music tastes lean towards the loud and obnoxious. I know it's not a Ferrari priced system, but I have a total of $450 wrapped up into it, and it sounds nice. One last thing I run it in a 5.1 digital config. Well I like shows like Sons of Anarchy and the low grumbly voices are not coming through correctly because of the small speakers.Same with the punk music I listen to, the poorly recorded vocals and guitars don't shine through. Even with great sounding remastered Pink Floyd, the guitar and bass are not quite up to par. Sooooo I obtained some Polk Monitor 60 speakers, again not top of the line or even mid, but for me they sound great, I have them in my garage hooked to my old pioneer receiver and they sound decent and they look alot nicer than the other old floorstanding speakers I have laying around like my old Cerwins and kenwoods. So long story well, LONG, how can I integrate these into my current home theater without the little JBL center channel being replaced? Now I will give it a shot no matter what the answers are but I would however like a painless way of doing this. I just don't want to replace the center, and I wont be investing in anything besides maybe speaker cable. So can I replace the L/R JBLs with these Polks for better sound? Thanks in advance!:D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The front three speakers really need to be from the same brand and series because they often produce the same sounds at the same time or closely there-after. Best thing I could recommend if you integrate the Polks into the JBL's is turning the center channel off in the receivers speaker setup menu and running it as a 4.1 system (the center channel material would be sent to the fronts). You may need to re-adjust the front speakers crossover a tad lower as well. On the other hand, maybe the miss-matched speakers wouldn't bother you as much as the 5.1 does now. But since thin vocals is the main issue I bet the small JBL center with the Polks wouldn't change that issue much. Most of the dialog comes from the center speaker.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Yeah I figured as much, it just seamed like when I added my big ugly old cerwin vega floor speakers it helped fill the void they were just gaudy, boomy and better suited for a college party house. I see they have the matching centers for under $100 on the internet, but it is sooo much larger than what I need. I was thinking of leaving the matching speakers as well and using the polks on the B outpout and then I could switch back and fourth and do the phantom center setup you spoke of. I'm sure eventually I will upgrade but for now, there's no room in the budget and my next purchase is a new TV. Thanks for the advice and if it doesnt work I will be center channel shopping.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can usually get the matching Polk CS1 for abut $65 from newegg.com. The price fluctuates, so just wait for it to go on sale for $65. Might be the best solution.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Yeah I've seen that, they even have one for 59.99 delivered, but it doesnt quite match color wise. I've decided Im going to pick it up as well as some monitor 30's for the rear. Then I will sell my den speakers and move my JBL setup in there. I'm just waiting for some other items to sell on craigslist, purging one hobby to support another. Story of my life. Thank you for the update!:tu:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 30s are handy for surrounds, since they are easily wall mountable. Sometimes the cabinet color of a center doesn't matter that much if it is on a shelf and most of the cabinet is hidden. All the grills are the same color, so it isn't always obvious.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I agree if I'm willing to spend an extra $13.00 at Polk's Ebay store I can get any color I want. But yes I agree, you wouldn't see the center in my setup. I know once I pick these up then it's new reciever time, but I also want a new TV and on and on. Another hobby to add to the list. :D But I will admit, I get a lot of use out of this one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For a receiver, I highly recommend the Marantz SR5005 on closeout at accessories4less.com for $450 shipped. If you want the best sound quality for the $, go that way. If you want the latest, up-to-the-second gadget, go elsewhere. The SR6005 is a great deal too. Sometimes onecall.com has an equivalent price on those.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I would love a Marantz! I have an old one in the garage that my grandfather gave me and I have the loudest garage in town. I'm sure the new ones are awesome. I will have to wait for this old Denon AVR-685 die before I can justify that purchase though. I have been reading the different forums though, it seems like they are dying left and right from the posts I've read. HDMI inputs would be great though. My open box best buy special Yamaha in my den has them, but it has no ummmm..... balls. I use that setup just for gaming, and I play only one game, once a week, so for that it works, and as soon as I finish off the Polk system, I will move the JBL setup in there,- the subwoofer because I like the way it sounds. I'm going to go check that Marantz out as soon as I grab a cold beer and a drool cloth.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, they probably still have SR5004 refurbs for around $330 shipped. Those are discontinued models, so they won't last forever.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, you want "balls"? Both those receivers have full pre-amp outputs, so in the future you can add a more powerful amp. That is actually what I am doing. The SR5005 replaced a pre-hdmi $2,000 Pioneer Elite. I was already using external amps, but decided to try the Marantz receiver as a head unit. The sound is impressive and beats the Pioneer on every level. Of course, remember, I am NOT using the internal amps, but as a pre-amp, it is very impressive.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
:) yeah thats a nice unit. The pre amp outputs are making my head spin too, the possibilities, I had a bad PS3 take out an HDMI input on my TV as well.4 extras would be amazing. I'm selling off alot of my stuff from other hobbies plus a lot of tool sets I had extras of. Heres hoping they sell soon, and no crazies from craigslist show up at my house. If I hit up the checking acct for my home stereos which my fiancee already think are too much, I may have to move out to the garage. But I would have a pretty nice garage theater.:D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just so you know, the new Martantz receivers don't have the full pre outs. The 5006 has none and the 6006 only has L&R. As far as I recall.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I am getting moving, I'm actually I'm actually about to press send!! We will see if my self control gets the better of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks