What's new

Is there such a thing as front surround speakers? (1 Viewer)

AustinDude

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
hello all,

I just moved into a house where the previous owners were nice enough to install nice rear surround speakers in the ceiling behind where the couch is. However, there are also identical speakers (bi polar speakers) mounted on the front wall next to where the TV is. From photos I have of the previous owners setup I saw that he had regular tower speakers in front as well. so my question is: What the heck are these "front" surround speakers for? Is this a normal setup for 7.1 or 9.1?

Thanks for any advice.
AD

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are "Front Height" or "Front Width" speakers which could be used with a newer receiver. Or, they were installed as regular "Front" speakers and the previous owner realized they didn't work so well as "Fronts" and bought a pair of towers to use as Fronts instead.

Squashy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Josh
Yea it all depends on the receiver the owner had previously. When you get into home theater systems that are 7.1, 11.2 etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks