What's new

Is the new Toshiba LCOS HDTV out yet? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I want to purchase a new hdtv and am very impressed with the LCOS technology. I was just wondering if the new Toshiba is out yet and what kind of reviews is it getting?

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
It is out but in very limited quanities. Rumor has it that only 50 or less have made it to our shores. But it sounds like more are on the way. Reviews have been good so far, but they better be for $8000+

Matt

BobHench

Auditioning
Jeff, there are sets out there, but very few. Some guys who have had their sets on order since early November are starting to get them now. I have had a set on order since 1/20 and my current delivery date is 3/4, but the dates have been pushed back several times since the order was placed. A lot of interesting intrigue has seemed to swirl around the release of these sets. The first ones were to be exclusively sold by Tweeter but then Tweeter decided to drop the entire Toshiba line with the exception of the LCoS set. This appears to have done away with the exclusivity and now you can expect to see these sets starting to show up in other high-end stores. The limited number of reviews have been very positive including reports from an actual owner in Dallas. A pre-production review by Gary Merson in The Perfect Vision was very good and is actually what got me interested in the set. There was supposed to be a final review in the latest issue of TPV but it has been pushed back to the next issue. The things that intrigue me about this set are the upconversion to 1080p, the lack of convergence concerns and no burn-in. The reports on picture quality from CES seemed to reinforce the thinking that this may well be the best RPTV ever made. So, I'm still waiting.

Hope this helps - Bob

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thank's a lot Bob for the info. I was wondering if you knew of a link or what issue Gary Merson's review of the tv is. I am very very interested to see what people's opinion is of this. And I know some people are telling me maybe to wait for the next generation of lcos hdtv's to come out due to the technology will get better and less expensive. I am at least going to wait until the 65 inch model comes out though. I have a 64 inch now and don't want a smaller picture. I would assume though that the 65 inch model will be well over 10k though. Ouch, that is pretty steep,but if it is as good as I think it is then the price will be worth it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I saw the set at CES and I think it had a fabulous image. Black level wasn't as good as the newer DLP sets, but it was acceptable. It was difficult to gauge dark detail reproduction with the program material they had (the requisite sunny-day beach scenes).

Think of it as a plasma set at half the price ;)

BobHench

Auditioning
John, I've seen other reports similar to yours regarding the LCoS set at CES. BUT, I have also heard from an owner of this set who also owns a DLP set and he reports that the LCoS black levels are superior. Like most people I have been unable to see one for myself to evaluate picture quality. There is also a theory making the rounds that suggests that Toshiba is "tweaking" these sets before a wider release. Since it looks like I'll be waiting another two months before getting mine, I've decided to subscribe to the "tweaking theory".

Bob

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Goodness! All these duplicates are embarassing! The software wasn't responding at all, so I kept pushing the 'post message' button and then was shocked to find all these duplicates! Sorry folks! :b

Bob, if this person has a earlier DLP set, then he might very well be correct. The comparison I'm making is with the newer generation DLP sets that were on display at the show. I literally put my nose to the screen on a couple of them (Samsung and Panasonic) and a fade to black was true black. This doesn't speak to the units performance with dark detail though.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of LCOS, Sony has developed its own version called SXRD (Silicon Crystal Reflective Display). They are supposed to be bringing out both front and rear projection models later this year at the same 1920 x 1080 resolution as the Toshiba.

Sony SXRD press release

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Very interesting. I am sure all these companies are now going to jump on this silicon technology bandwagon. Which is definately a good thing, better for us as a consumer. I would assume that within a year or so that the prices for these hdtv's will be more affordable and maybe even better. Maybe I will just hold off on the Toshiba for right now and wait it out to see what happens. Although it is going to be very hard to wait. I want the best now! :)

BobHench

Auditioning
I have canceled my order with Tweeter and placed an order with another supplier. The set is to be placed on a truck today for the trip from Illinois to PA.

Bob

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Bob, keep us informed. We want to know how you like it when you get it and have had a chance to get comfortable with it. When did they say it was supposed to be delivered?

BobHench

Auditioning
Ah, Jeff, the one question I failed to ask. I was so thrilled to be able to get one before the April 15th date given to me by Tweeter that I totally forgot! I was also surprised with the fact that I was able to save about $1000 overall by not ordering it from my local Tweeter. I wouldn't be surprised to get a call from the trucking company sometime next week.

Bob

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, if you want the best now and have the bucks for the Toshiba, go for it. All the reviews have been absolutely glowing. As we all know, there's always something better around the corner esp. now that digital technology is pushing into RPTVs, so if you're ready to pull the trigger go for it!

Me, I'm saving up for an upgrade to my FP system, and by the time I'm ready maybe SXRD will be here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks