What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who may be unaware, Greta Gerwig's Barbie did some theatrical business this year. And as far as films based upon girl's toys, it was am impressive film. Possibly the best of the toy to films.

I'll get the most important attributes out of the way first.

The slipcover is drop dead gorgeous! A huge B in Barbie script with the two leads comfortably ensconced within the letter.

Bright, electric pink!, carried over into the WB100 and 4k logo atop the obverse. Beautiful colors on top of a metallic background. The reversal also uses a metallic ink, but nowhere nearly as intense as the obverse.

Yet another first printing to secure before it disappears.

As to the disc, it's a miraculous 4k Reference Quality release, with Dolby Atmos. Shot in Alexa 65 (I believe Alexa is another Barbie), in 6.5k, so be aware the image will be more than moderately sharp. Best viewed on a modern TV (and in color).

Great film, although I viewed the prologue several times, as well as seeing it theatrically, and still not certain what the whole out in the African wilds has to do with anything.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 6

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am shocked at the 6 rating based on the text review above. Seems like some wires got crossed here.
No clam shell. No lenticular 3-D. No hard slipcase. It’s a beautiful slip, but beyond great design and lovely printing, it’s just not Tiffany quality.

Those who collect fine wines can reference a nice ‘82 Margaux or Petrus, but I appreciate the engraved labels on Jordan and Rubicon.

I want my discs elegantly packaged.

Consider the 4k DC of Midsommar from A24. That’s a 10!

Also consider Cask.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I want my discs elegantly packaged.
1697503369150.gif

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Thank you for including more detail on Barbie's slip.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I am shocked and confused. The initial news of this disc’s release was for early 2024. Very confused.

I figured they wanted to squeeze a few more dollars from streaming.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm suspecting they're trying to beat The Oppenheimer physical media debut (which appears to be November 21,2023) for the inevitable "Barbenheimer" home viewing Double-Feature - :cool: ...

Also the attention/buying power for the target market for the Barbie 2023 movie is partially be diverted by a singer-songwriter who oft writes songs about the break-ups she's had with several eligible bachelors.who went on tour. They filmed some of the concerts and have now released the edited movie-fillum to theatres. It is getting close to Barbie BO record revenues. To add on to that ... merch from the opening day for this concert fi;m has been offered for big numbers on eBay. and other e-tailers) ...
1697558340756.png

(She is also apparently dating some sports figure .. drawing attention to her and the movie-film.)

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm suspecting they're trying to beat The Oppenheimer physical media debut (which appears to be November 21,2023) for the inevitable "Barbenheimer" home viewing Double-Feature - :cool: ...

Also the attention/buying power for the target market for the Barbie 2023 movie is partially be diverted by a singer-songwriter who oft writes songs about the break-ups she's had with several eligible bachelors.who went on tour - they filmed some of the concerts and have now released the edited movie-fillum to theatres. It is getting close to Barbie BO record revenues. To add in merch from the opening day for this concert fi;m has been offered for big number on eBay. and other e-tailers)
View attachment 200975
(She is also apparently dating some sports figure .. drawing attention to her and the movie-film.)

That makes sense! I'm looking forward to that release. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks