What's new

Is the current "Vacation" DVD open matte? (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I think this film is hilarious, and I've seen it for great prices around town, but if it's P&S I'll pass. Open matte I can live with until a correct version is released.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's open matte.

Some shots may be reframed (I haven't seen the DVD transfer), but it definately was shot with a 1.33:1 frame and intended to be matted to 1.85:1

95% of 1.85:1 movies were filmed open matte (excluding CGI sequence films, etc)

Esten

Supporting Actor
Region 2 vacation DVd is widescreen and anamorphic,but not that great of a transfer.That i've heard.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
You know, "open matte" is really a useless term. If a film was composed for a 1.85 aspect ratio then THAT is how you're supposed to see it. Who cares if it's "open matte" or "pan n scan", both of those are NOT OAR.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
95% of 1.85:1 movies were filmed open matte (excluding CGI sequence films, etc)
but that's not necessarily helpful when figuring out if a 1.85:1 film is open matte or P&S when being shown as 1.33:1. many 1.85:1 films have the upper portion of the frame filled with microphones, wires, tarps, etc., with the knowledge that that part of the frame will be matted out. so a 1.33:1 transfer of a such a 1.85:1 film will have to be panned and scanned to avoid revealing the set pieces. merely saying that the film was shot open matte doesn't answer the question of how the 1.33:1 transfer was accomplished.

DJ

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You know, "open matte" is really a useless term. If a film was composed for a 1.85 aspect ratio then THAT is how you're supposed to see it. Who cares if it's "open matte" or "pan n scan", both of those are NOT OAR.
It does matter.

Are the 1.33:1 transfers of The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut pan & scan on DVD? No.

Is the 1.33:1 transfer of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure pan & scan? No.

Yes, open matte transfers for films that should be matted are not OAR, but it just adds confusion to the situation. I personally prefer the matted versions, but if the "P&S vs. LBX" fight is so important, we must give the right information.

It's like the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital. Yes, they're both digital sound formats, but they both have different compression rates.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Pee-Wee said:
actually, it's not like that at all. with AR, there's an ultimate correct answer. an AR is either correct or it isn't. the Dolby/DTS debates usually center around which sounds "better." there is no "better" with AR, there's only right and wrong.
DJ

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
actually, it's not like that at all. with AR, there's an ultimate correct answer. an AR is either correct or it isn't. the Dolby/DTS debates usually center around which sounds "better." there is no "better" with AR, there's only right and wrong.
Well said Damin!

It saddens me we can't have the "right" version for our viewing pleasure, these great films deserve the right version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks