What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (7 Viewers)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And there is at least one other B&W show I hope to see released on DVD soon:
Twelve O'Clock High (TV series) (1964-1966, color from 1966-1967)

~Ben

Yeah, I'd like that one too, but was encouraged enough to record all of the episodes from MeTV when they ran it a number of years ago. Those will suffice for me until something better comes along.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd like that one too, but was encouraged enough to record all of the episodes from MeTV when they ran it a number of years ago. Those will suffice for me until something better comes along.

Hopefully you were able to get them on the first run-through when ME-TV first went national and the episodes were clocking in at 51 minutes. All of the subsequent airings went to the 46 minute versions.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Rights are too involved and Fox did not want to even deal with it. When the show was asked about, they basically said, don't ask! My guess would be that Adventures in Paradise might fall into the same category, although I really doubt that anyone is beating down the door for that one.
This series will be out on DVD sometime in 2019!

~Ben

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Even Netflix doesn't have much in the way of classics-- if it's not Star Trek, The Twilight Zone or Andy Griffith, you're out of luck!
Y'know...I never thought of Netflix as a possible repository for classic TV series. But that would be really great if they ever moved in that direction. Especially for those of us who don't buy DVDs.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Y'know...I never thought of Netflix as a possible repository for classic TV series. But that would be really great if they ever moved in that direction. Especially for those of us who don't buy DVDs.
I wouldn't count on Netflix for anything old. They used to have a lot of old TV shows and movies but they can't get rid of them fast enough now. It has to be a classic 101 TV show or Movie. Their target audience is under 35 so b & w is a no-no.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I wouldn't count on Netflix for anything old. They used to have a lot of old TV shows and movies but they can't get rid of them fast enough now. It has to be a classic 101 TV show or Movie. Their target audience is under 35 so b & w is a no-no.
Well, poo. There goes my entire day.
Oh well, may as well start cocktail hour a bit earlier.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Speaking of b&w being a no-no. Just recently when I was watching some old B&W show on MeTV, my 10 year old walked by and asked why I was watching a show with no color, he said it looks so "boring".

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Speaking of b&w being a no-no. Just recently when I was watching some old B&W show on MeTV, my 10 year old walked by and asked why I was watching a show with no color, he said it looks so "boring".

A good switch will take care of that attitude. LOL

Gary "I found that because I exposed my two daughters to b/w TV and films when they were very young helped them to appreciate and truly enjoy the older material - and they still watch 20 years later" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Watching a show that I want that I can't have to me is like starving and looking in the window of a restaurant and watching other people eat.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I discovered that ~5 years ago when visiting my son during the birth of his middle kid. He had Netflix and Amazon Prime. I went looking for something to watch. The *only* "classic" TV I could find, either US or UK, was Star Trek:TOS. It was much the same with movies. It was a week before Christmas and I could find absolutely no Christmas movies made before ~2000. Nothing I found was BW - either TV or movie. That's why I have zero interest in a Netflix subscription today. They have little of interest for me.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I discovered that ~5 years ago when visiting my son during the birth of his middle kid. He had Netflix and Amazon Prime. I went looking for something to watch. The *only* "classic" TV I could find, either US or UK, was Star Trek:TOS. It was much the same with movies. It was a week before Christmas and I could find absolutely no Christmas movies made before ~2000. Nothing I found was BW - either TV or movie. That's why I have zero interest in a Netflix subscription today. They have little of interest for me.

If it's that barren of classics, no wonder I hardly touch it!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
There's some good modern era stuff on Netflix, and it's cheap enough that I don't mind having it. My wife watches it far more than I do, but I like some of the Netflix original series, plus things they own the international distribution rights to, like Star Trek: Discovery. Also, living overseas, it helps give me access to a bunch of network and cable stuff that isn't readily available here. That said, modern shows only take up about 20% or less of my usual TV watching. And there is no doubt whatsoever that Netflix is bereft of any classic TV shows other than the aforementioned Star Trek: TOS. There's nothing like ME-TV, COZI-TV or any other retro channel here either, which is why I have to rely on DVD and Blu-Ray (and occasionally on You Tube) for my classic television viewing.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There's some good modern era stuff on Netflix, and it's cheap enough that I don't mind having it.

I'm glad you were able to find something to see there! I've found a few great surprises myself, like the 1996 101 Dalmatians w/Glenn Close, Joely Fisher, Jeff Daniels, et al.; that and a couple of other things have been really the only gold that's panned out in all the time I've had the streaming Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks