What's new

Untransferred Deep Catalog Studio Properties: What's the Point? (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I've been meaning to start a topic like this for several years now, from reading (and sometimes starting) threads like 'Hope for long lost shows?', 'Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to and end?' and the innumerable 'Most wanted short-lived TV shows' and 'Is ______ coming to DVD?' posts. I didn't want to divert or derail any of those with this subject, so I figured I'd start fresh with this one.

The title of this thread is probably more rhetorical than anything, and will probably make for some pretty depressing reading, so I give you fair warning on that. I myself have no ties to the industry (not even any 'crystal balls'), but I listen to people who post on forums like this who are in the industry, or at least seem to know what they're talking about, as far as I can tell.

Let me begin by making it clear that I'm not saying that I expect studio X to go to the trouble and expense to resurrect some forgotten/obscure film or TV series on disc, likely at a loss, just because I want it in my collection. I also well understand that the industry is gradually moving away from physical media, in favor of streaming and downloads, and the Millennial consumer base, in particular, has embraced this, which makes the chances for the appearance of a 'moldy oldie' (however you want to define that) on the current market even less likely than before.

Other than buffs/geeks, like me and (perhaps) you, most people obviously don't wish to own huge collections of films and shows... most aren't even interested in watching anything more than once or twice, and the majority aren't usually interested in much beyond the current or the fairly-recent (i.e. anything produced before their own childhood, apart from a famous classic or two... if that).

Instead, I'm trying to look at things from a studio perspective, as best I can. Most have pretty huge libraries, especially from corporate mergers and acquisitions over the years. Other than the obvious big stuff, I'm sure the upper echelon of any given studio has little knowledge of (or even interest in) what they specifically own, other than what their legal departments bring to their attention, or if (the rare) individual CEOs or VPs are film buffs themselves (i.e. George Feltenstein at WB), nor would I expect them to. Extension of copyright law, spearheaded by Disney, primarily to protect their most popular, ever-profitable properties (Mickey Mouse, James Bond, etc), covers pretty much all of their holdings, apart from a few items that have slipped into the public domain, due to clerical errors or neglect.

Most anything they'd consider for release on disc or streaming usually has to meet a modern quality threshold for HD broadcast, and just the process of transferal to digital from old film and tape sources is time-consuming and expensive, even if no major restoration is required. I'm sure there is likely a shortage of personnel qualified to do this work, even if there was ample budget allocated to this endeavor. Then there is the labyrinth of music clearance and other legal hurdles to be overcome, especially if the property is jointly-owned.

So, what we are left with are masses of programming of varying quality, duration and importance --some restored, some not-- that sit on shelves in temperature-controlled rooms, or in salt mines, waiting... for what? There are less venues, that they'd be viable for, than before. The DVD boom is largely over and Blu, while great, hasn't been quite as big. Fewer cable/satellite networks fill their schedules with classic and/or esoteric programming, especially with inexpensive reality shows and infomercials to pad out their schedules, or 'marathon blocks' of a single show. With few exceptions (mainly Warner Archive Instant), streaming services haven't really taken up the mantle for these, either, as they typically offer the big classics and the same-old same-old (they seem to be a bit more adventurous with offering some deep catalog films).

Digital over-the-air channels, like MeTV, Antenna, RTV and Cozi, are wonderful throwbacks to the glory days of Nick@Nite and TVLand, but even here, what they air are the old standbys, plus series that had already gotten transfers for cable play and/or DVD in the last couple of decades. They don't have the budgets or audience numbers to bankroll the restoration and clearances for anything beyond what they already license, off-the-shelf and ready-to-go, from the studios (which are sometimes their parent companies).

Given this --and as much as it would horrify me, you, other fans, historians and preservationists-- sometimes I wonder why they just don't deliberately destroy some films and TV series that 99.9% of the public neither knows or cares about, have essentially no profitability, and that have close to 0% chance of being shown anywhere outside of an archive or a privately-owned print. Wouldn't that be even more cost-effective for their owners than paying for the storage of the original materials?

Warner Brothers, Sony and MGM seem to be the most serious about taking care of, and exploiting, as much of their libraries as they can, and I know that all the majors have had restoration programs in place in recent years, and have done some amazing (even miraculous) work, but I wonder if they have any kind of ultimate game plan with the bulk of their holdings.

I well understand that we can't expect every last little thing to see the light of day, or would have much in the way of popular public interest, but at the same time, there's an insatiable appetite for content, especially via streaming services. The one-season (or less) wonders of the past don't seem quite so paltry now, compared to the current state of TV production, where a season is now often down to 10-14 episodes per season, and where 'binge-watching' is an increasingly-popular method of viewing, especially via streaming. You'd think there would be a cornucopia of older short-run series, made-for-TV movies, unsold pilots, etc, made available to fill some of that need, but with very few exceptions, apparently not.

So, it seems to be a lot cheaper and easier to let a lot of things sit in a vault, forever, to ultimately fade and/or deteriorate (Universal springs to mind here, in particular), forgotten by all but a dwindling few, than do much of anything else with them. What's the point?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Intriguing (although, as you warned, depressing) analysis. I think that the main issue is one of scale. Home video sales of the shows that only exist on 35mm and have never been transferred to other media would be so low that, as you suggest, it just doesn't seem worth the studios' money and effort to transfer them just for DVD or even paid streaming. Commercial television on the other hand, however often we hear that it is dead or dying or not relevant, is far and away the largest entertainment delivery system and the number of viewers (and consequent advertising money) means that a national cable outlet showing would make it worthwhile to transfer a series that has never gone past 35mm. As for why the studios don't simply burn the stuff, I think it is a combination of two factors. One--if a series is licensed by a real cable channel or optioned for a remake, it would justify a lifetime of storage costs. Two--when we talk about the big studios, they have tons of real estate and they have lots of vaults where they are storing more valuable properties anyway. Yes, it still costs something to store the other stuff, but with the economy of scale, it doesn't cost much more. I think at this point, historical value and artistic conscience aside, it's just a fairly safe, low-cost choice to keep stuff rather than destroying it.You make a good point about the sheer number of hours needed to fill hundreds of channels of 24-hour programming, but I think programmers figured out that there are even cheaper ways than little-known reruns to fill them and still get viewers or sponsorship. I do hope, as someone suggested in another thread, that if the new decade-based channels are a success with their very familiar programming, they might broaden their offerings a little as time goes on. ME-TV, Antenna, and Cozi have all done that to a certain extent.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't disagree with any of your points, Peter - but I will suggest...

It is better to have the assets and not have a use for them, vs. having a use for them and not having them. I believe that this may be the message the studios received when home video began to boom. I think it is a waiting game until conditions make deeper catalog material more economically viable.

I think part of that equation is reduced production costs via technological advances in both hardware and software. Unfortunately I simply do not envision a scenario in which the demand for older, more obscure material will increase, at least on physical media, from the consumer perspective. Admittedly, this is colored by my own tastes and perception. While I own a large number of older films on DVD and Blu-ray my own investment in older television is small compared to some of the more ardent fans of classic TV that are on the HTF.

Additional channels, or broadening of content on existing channels, as suggested in post #2 of the thread may be the answer to demand.

- Walter.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
With the speed of technological breakthroughs, as well as a seemingly endless supply of creative minds, I would think the reason studios let materials sit in a vault has to do with a perverse Murphy's Law:As soon as an executive boldly orders destruction, a new technology (which, granted is not tangible at this moment) will be invented that will allow the materials to be (easily) monetized. That executive will then be remembered as having committed Seward's Folly.This line of thinking is similar to the reason why creative personnel lived with errors in the 50's, 60's and 70's - nobody, then, could foresee a technology (DVD) that would allow people to easily spot those errors (through binge-watching, stop-frame, etc.).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I understand your point, but I tend to look at it a little more optimistically...look at the obscure stuff that HAS been released. I never thought I'd see Pat Paulsen's Half A Comedy Hour released, or the entire first season of This Week In Baseball (just to name a couple off the top of my head). I'm always discovering new old movies and TV shows. The trouble is finding the time to watch them all!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Interesting thread and, as you warned, depressing. As for me, I'm not sure where and why the generational disconnect began. I was born in 1963, and began watching classic films before I was 10. While I loved current films of that time (Patton, The Godfather, The French Connection, et al), I also loved the classics of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Of course, they were shown almost daily on local and network TV. Now, I have 4 kids, ages 13, 14, 17, and 21, and, for the most part they have ZERO interest in any movie made before they were born except for maybe the Star Wars and Indiana Jones series. I have a blu-ray collection approaching 400 titles, 80% of them pre-1980, and when I pop one in the home theater, the room clears faster than if I'd just announced I had the plague. And they could care less about the quality (in terms of video/audio) of what they watch. It makes me feel like I've failed as a father :). Unfortunately, I think my generation is the last that will care about classic film. And that is what I believe the studios see and why deep catalog films will never see blu-ray editions. Hell, if we can't get them to release classics like The Alamo, Around the World in 80 Days, and others, then what hope do we have for lesser classic films like the Errol Flynn films, or They Were Expendable, etc?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Most anything they'd consider for release on disc or streaming usually has to meet a modern quality threshold for HD broadcast, and just the process of transferal to digital from old film and tape sources is time-consuming and expensive, even if no major restoration is required.
I don't think it's necessary that these old shows have to undergo HD remastering to be considered viable, because, as we all know, DVD is not an HD format, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Antenna TV and MeTV broadcast in standard def? They certainly are in my local market.

I think the only criteria that would need to be met would be if the shows were to have undergone a transfer to digital NTSC tape within the last few decades, which would certainly have been possible at least as early as the late '80s. If it's playable on modern broadcast industry equipment, it should be at least a possible release candidate.

There are plenty of shows that got such transfers around that time period (Quark and Logan's Run are two that immediately come to mind) which have seen DVD release and while they're not perfect, the picture quality is more than good enough.

Of course, I'm only talking about shows that were shot on film. Shows originally shot on NTSC videotape, as I'm sure you know, cannot be remastered in HD anyway. To be considered viable for release (in most cases), though, they would have had to been transferred from the old analog formats to digital, and if they've been in reruns anytime in the last 20 years or so, then they probably have been.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
AndyMcKinney said:
I don't think it's necessary that these old shows have to undergo HD remastering to be considered viable, because, as we all know, DVD is not an HD format, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Antenna TV and MeTV broadcast in standard def? They certainly are in my local market.

I think the only criteria that would need to be met would be if the shows were to have undergone a transfer to digital NTSC tape within the last few decades, which would certainly have been possible at least as early as the late '80s. If it's playable on modern broadcast industry equipment, it should be at least a possible release candidate.

There are plenty of shows that got such transfers around that time period (Quark and Logan's Run are two that immediately come to mind) which have seen DVD release and while they're not perfect, the picture quality is more than good enough.

Of course, I'm only talking about shows that were shot on film. Shows originally shot on NTSC videotape, as I'm sure you know, cannot be remastered in HD anyway. To be considered viable for release (in most cases), though, they would have had to been transferred from the old analog formats to digital, and if they've been in reruns anytime in the last 20 years or so, then they probably have been.
I was in New York last week where I was able to watch COZI. While most of their programming looked good I noticed, for example, when they ran "Alias Smith and Jones" it was obviously from a 16mm print and it also showed some wear.
Let's also remember that a lot of legal material gets released with inferior transfers (although usually from smaller companies). Just look at the Timeless releases of "M Squad," "Arrest and Trial," and "Checkmate" as examples. Still I would rather they be out in less than pristine condition than not at all.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The problem is multi-fold. First off a lot of these elements haven't seen the light of day in decades. Every show has separate film and sound negatives. So their condition is the first issue - no mater how well stored - especially if it's color.

Then the basic transferring - the studios either overcharge each others departments, sometimes thousands for a single half hour - or overcharged by outside companies doing the work.

Then there's the cost overall to put it all together. It's cost prohibitive without some sort of tv deal to go along with a DVD release - and even then that may not help.ANTENNA-TV was going to run THE FARMERS DAUGHTER and then it turned out Sony didn't have anything to give them - no transfers and the cost to re-transfer the series was more than the contact was for! They used some BS about the condition as well. The only "condition issue" was the fact they didn't want to transfer them from the masters at a loss! :)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
One of the problems has been the mergers and buyouts of several studios' properties all under one roof. With all the stuff a studio like Warner Bros. (for instance) owns -- their own library, RKO, some United Artists stuff, some M-G-M stuff, TV libraries like Lorimar, Orion, Hanna-Barbera, etc. etc. etc., there is so much there that it's only natural for the "A-list" stuff to rise to the top. I can cite two examples related to animation specifically. Before Warner bought MGM/UA, when Turner was releasing its backlog of 300 plus Warner Bros. cartoons, they had only those 300 plus to work with, not the 1,000 plus Warner is dealing with now. There were still the issues with the "Censored Eleven" and so forth, but correct me if I'm wrong, between Beta, VHS and Laserdisc, aside from the "Censored Eleven" I think they did release just about every other Warner Bros. cartoon they had in their library -- many of which have yet to make it to DVD, since now the later material is in the mix and the Road Runner, Speedy Gonzales, Tweety and Sylvester certainly take priority over a bunch of 1930s musical cartoons. And the Hanna-Barbera library used to be split with different licensees "back in the day." The TV distributor Worldvision had a home video division and they started releasing a line of Hanna-Barbera videos. Back then of course, we weren't getting season sets, we were lucky if we got one or two hour-long tapes, but they released a boatload of 1960s stuff like Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel (and their supporting character segments), most of the 1960s superheroes, Banana Splits, Top Cat, etc., which certainly would have been "back-burnered" if they'd had the rights (at the time) to the Flintstones, Jetsons, etc., not to mention the Ruby-Spears library and even the huge backlog of stuff produced since then (early 1980s).Over the years I have observed cable channels which start out playing what we call "classic TV," but almost invariably evolve to skew towards later shows, and finally original programming. Then the stuff they had been running gets moved over to another specially-created channel, and the cycle repeats itself. I think they're just "crawling before they can walk" and running material that doesn't cost them a lot when they get started. So catch them while you can.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Defenders is another good example of this issue. The show has not seen the light of day in syndication, the film elements have not been transferred, and the costs of transferring them are apparently so prohibitively expensive that not only is CBS/Paramount not currently interested in releasing the show on DVD, they apparenttly can't even find an outside company to license it for DVD distribution.

Darby

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
"Ben Casey" has also not been transferred but I believe there are also music rights issues.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Gary16 said:
"Ben Casey" has also not been transferred but I believe there are also music rights issues.
Are you sure that Ben Casey hasn't been transferred to some form of modern videotape? I know the series was seen in reruns on WOR circa 1985, but of course, perhaps WOR were playing it from U-Matic or film at that point in time.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
AndyMcKinney said:
Are you sure that Ben Casey hasn't been transferred to some form of modern videotape? I know the series was seen in reruns on WOR circa 1985, but of course, perhaps WOR were playing it from U-Matic or film at that point in time.
I can only say my info came from a direct source who would know.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what you consider a modern tape format. No, its not on DigiBeta or even Beta SP but when Worldvision syndicated it as part of its Evergreen package, it was mastered from 35mm onto 1-inch tape. I have copies of those and they look pretty good.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The Defenders is another good example of this issue. The show has not seen the light of day in syndication, the film elements have not been transferred, and the costs of transferring them are apparently so prohibitively expensive that not only is CBS/Paramount not currently interested in releasing the show on DVD, they apparenttly can't even find an outside company to license it for DVD distribution.
A company did try to license it out but an agreement couldn't be reached with regards to how to deal with the transfers as well as other issues. But it was attempted.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
In answer to the original posting, unless one can see into the future, there is no way to know what will or won't be of value. In the 80s, back in the 16mm days, look at all of the series that showed up on cable that one would have never thought would be on the air again. Then, 20 years later with the DVD boom, we got shows like Brenner, Man With A Camera, Arrest and Trial, Craig Kennedy Criminologist, Dangerous Assignment and dozens more which hadn't been anywhere in decades. You just never know. When talkies came in during the late 20s, early 30s, many studios destroyed their silent films. Lo and behold, decades later there became a demand for them, albeit not a large one. Unfortunately, 90% or so of them were gone by then. Or how about the great sporting events of the 50s, 60s and 70s? No one would ever want to see those again, or so all of the networks and local stations thought. Except they were wrong and now with ESPN Classic and all of the sports having their own networks, it would have been great if videotape recordings of games had been saved. So the point is, no one has a crystal ball that's 100% accurate as to what will be desired in the future. Yes, one could surmise that its not likely that one-season (or less) shows will be brought out of the vault but isn't it better for the studios to retain their assets rather than discard them? Even Fox, painful as it is to praise them for anything, when they had FoxNet, showed things like Arnie, Roll Out, Karen, Blue Light and a bunch of their other failed shows. And on their movie network, they ran the 20th Century Fox Hour from the mid-50s. Better to have the stuff saved than to pull a Jack Chertok/My Living Doll and toss a series away forever.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Neil Brock said:
Depends on what you consider a modern tape format. No, its not on DigiBeta or even Beta SP but when Worldvision syndicated it as part of its Evergreen package, it was mastered from 35mm onto 1-inch tape. I have copies of those and they look pretty good.
Based on what I was told, either the 1" masters are no longer in good shape or they have been deemed as not good enough for DVD. I'd be happy with a release from existing masters if they still play OK.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Neil Brock said:
A company did try to license it out but an agreement couldn't be reached with regards to how to deal with the transfers as well as other issues. But it was attempted.
I know. I emailed CBS about the status of the series and here is the response I got back:
"Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail regarding THE DEFENDERS.

Unfortunately, the series only exists on film and the cost of transfers alone lead our contractual distributor PARAMOUNT to PASS on their distribution rights to the series…and allowed me the opportunity to approach other distributors.

In addition to transfers, the music clearances for the series are costly and complicated.

These costs have scared away SHOUT! FACTORY (who now also own TIMELESS) and RJR/IMAGE has not expressed any interest.

We will probably release a few of the later DEFENDERS movie-length titles done for SHOWTIME. If they do well, maybe a case can be made to invest in saving this classic series that I myself loved growing up."

Darby

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Based on what I was told, either the 1" masters are no longer in good shape or they have been deemed as not good enough for DVD. I'd be happy with a release from existing masters if they still play OK.
Didn't stop Warner from putting out Dr. Kildare using the old 1980s one-inch transfers that Turner did. Depends on the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks