Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
And season one of Mr. Novak (1963-64) is coming from WAC, probably sometime in November, as revealed in an "unboxing" video on their Facebook page earlier today! Thanks to 'Astairefan' for the heads up.
I hope that sells well, so well that we get the entirety of it out! I like what it looks like inside, per that "taster" that was shown on Facebook!

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
Just to attempt to revive this thread , I'd like to mention that since the last posts , The Californians , The Man Called Shenandoah and Blondie (1957) have been released on DVD. So we still get the occasional black and white show on DVD.
Like a speeding train having the brakes applied, it often takes a while before it comes to a complete stop. But make no mistake, the decline is real - it has been for a long time now.

Gary “still missing quite a few great series from the b&w era” O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Like a speeding train having the brakes applied, it often takes a while before it comes to a complete stop. But make no mistake, the decline is real - it has been for a long time now.

Gary “still missing quite a few great series from the b&w era” O.
Even the streaming options are looking slim. I recently got Hulu. There are a few shows like Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that started in black and white. Mr. Ed and Dennis the Menace are available and a few Three Stooges, Little Rascals, and Shirley Temple options, but nothing major.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Even the streaming options are looking slim. I recently got Hulu. There are a few shows like Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that started in black and white. Mr. Ed and Dennis the Menace are available and a few Three Stooges, Little Rascals, and Shirley Temple options, but nothing major.
Even Netflix doesn't have much in the way of classics-- if it's not Star Trek, The Twilight Zone or Andy Griffith, you're out of luck!

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters

Tony Bensley

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
I take it then that Netflix in Canada is all current?
Last time we still subscribed (We dropped Netflix in July), there were some TV series that dated back to the 1990s, and Movies dating back to the 1950s. Other than that, mostly pretty current stuff.

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
Last time we still subscribed (We dropped Netflix in July), there were some TV series that dated back to the 1990s, and Movies dating back to the 1950s. Other than that, mostly pretty current stuff.

CHEERS! :)
The last time I sampled Netflix (at my son's house ~4 years ago) it was pretty sad. Other than Star Trek I found nothing I wanted to watch. No classic Christmas movies (and it was the week before Christmas), no 60s TV, no British TV, no movies made before ~1980. I was glad I took a disc holder with movies and TV shows. I guess if you're into watching "the latest" stuff it's OK. I'm not. I'd rather watch one of the "lesser" 60s/70s shows than just about anything currently being produced.

I'm happy for any 50s/60s TV show released, BW or color, whether it's one I want or not. Every release provides just a bit of hope that someday the ones I'm wanting will finally see a release.

Right now I really, really, really, want a Green Hornet release. Yeah, it's not BW but it's at the top of my "most wanted" series list. And for Sam to get off his behind and get some "remastered" O&H out there. More Beverly Hillbillies and My Little Margie would also be nice and give us the last season of Mister Peepers. I'd also like to have Love that Bob, The Aldrich Family, Love that Joan, The Life of Riley (William Bendix), The Jack Benny Show, The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show, December Bride, and many others...

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeff
If you have Amazon Prime, they have a “sub-channel“ on their service for an additional $1/month called Best TV Ever, and it features lots of older public domain TV series, including PD versions of Petticoat Junction, One Step Beyond, Ozzie and Harriet, Dick Van Dyke, Colgate Comedy Hour, I Married Joan, Terry and the Pirates, Jack Benny, and several dozen fairly obscure older shows as well. I’m sure most of this stuff you can find on YouTube, but you can cancel this channel at any time, and it’s nice to be able to view it thru simple-to-use menus and on your various devices, including on your TV.

morasp

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
steve
The best streaming option for 50s and 60s content is by far Amazon with titles like secret agent, The Saint, decoy: police woman, yancy derringer, the invisible man, cisco kid, mr and mrs north, mr lucky, peter gunn, donna reed show, mission impossible, dick van dyke show, I love Lucy, I Spy, My Little Margie, Private Secretary, Colonel March, Hopalong Cassidy, The buccaneers with Robert Shaw, Sir Lancelot, The adventures of Robin Hood, Route 66, Father Knows Best, My Living Doll, My Favorite Martian, The Doris Day Show, Family Affair, That Girl, Make Room for Daddy, The Rebel, The Rifleman, Dark Shadows, The Addams Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Blondie, Gidget, Heres Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, Adventures of Kitt Carson, Judge Roy Bean, The Mothers In Law, Honeymooners lost episodes, The Real McCoys to name a few.

Tubbi TV just picked up the Shout channel with titles like route 66, Dobie Gillis, Car 54, Father Knows best, The Saint. And is free with limited commercial breaks.

Last edited:

greenscreened

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Bob
What the heck DID Ozzie Nelson do?! Why was he home so much? ....
IIRC, it was in the 1970s on (Johnny Carson's 'Tonight Show'?) wherein Ozzie's answer to that question was, it was based on the premise that the episodes took place before or after work, or on the weekends, which would make complete sense, and the one I'm going with.

A more off the wall, (yet funnier) explanation was either offered-up via a single Mad Magazine spoof of the series, or a stand-up comic in the mid-late sixties, which was...Ozzie was a bookie!

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Arthur
Based upon the few episodes I've seen of each, I really would love to see a lot more of Love That Bob and The People's Choice. I could have sworn seeing an MPI teaser for a Love That Bob collection several years ago (if my memory is correct, it was attached to the episode of Love That Bob that was included as an extra on the Dobie Gillis DVD collection), but that doesn't seem to have materialized. Our Miss Brooks and The Jack Benny Program are also at the top of my want list along with the remaining color seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Based upon the few episodes I've seen of each, I really would love to see a lot more of Love That Bob and The People's Choice. I could have sworn seeing an MPI teaser for a Love That Bob collection several years ago (if my memory is correct, it was attached to the episode of Love That Bob that was included as an extra on the Dobie Gillis DVD collection), but that doesn't seem to have materialized. Our Miss Brooks and The Jack Benny Program are also at the top of my want list along with the remaining color seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.
The People's Choice is one of my favorite shows. I think it was just bad luck that it was never released on home video . It was just the property of companies that didn't release much to the home video market . I know that World Vision had the rights for a while. I don't recall an announcement for an official release for Love That Bob (which I would buy in a flash!). Both The People's Choice and Love That Bob were produced by the same company McCaddam Productions , which George Burns was a part owner of. George's son Ronnie is dead which may be the reason that these shows are so obscure since there doesn't appear to be anyone to make a deal for them.
Dobie Gillis was released by Shout Factory , and I believe there was a couple of Love That Bob episodes on that box set as bonus items . Dwayne Hickman was one of the stars of LTB. That Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis box set is great - really well done.
Shout factory also released some episodes of the Jack Benny Show , and there are a number of Public Domaine releases "out there ".
I too would love to see a release for Our Miss Brooks . I'm not sure how likely that is at this point .
There are many of us hoping for the rest of Beverley Hillbillies , Petticoat Junction , and My three Sons from CBS.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Just to attempt to revive this thread , I'd like to mention that since the last posts , The Californians , The Man Called Shenandoah and Blondie (1957) have been released on DVD. So we still get the occasional black and white show on DVD.
Also, earlier this month VCI released Vol. 4 of I Married Joan. It's only 10 additional episodes after Vol. 3 came out in 2014. Still, it's better than nothing.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Camp
The best streaming option for 50s and 60s content is by far Amazon with titles like secret agent, The Saint, decoy: police woman, yancy derringer, the invisible man, cisco kid, mr and mrs north, mr lucky, peter gunn, donna reed show, mission impossible, dick van dyke show, I love Lucy, I Spy, My Little Margie, Private Secretary, Colonel March, Hopalong Cassidy, The buccaneers with Robert Shaw, Sir Lancelot, The adventures of Robin Hood, Route 66, Father Knows Best, My Living Doll, My Favorite Martian, The Doris Day Show, Family Affair, That Girl, Make Room for Daddy, The Rebel, The Rifleman, Dark Shadows, The Addams Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Blondie, Gidget, Heres Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, Adventures of Kitt Carson, Judge Roy Bean, The Mothers In Law, Honeymooners lost episodes, The Real McCoys to name a few.
Wow, thanks for this list. I was aware of some of them, and have watched eps. of Yancy Derringer and My Living Doll, but I wasn't aware of most of these being available on Amazon Prime.

I watched a Yancy Derringer episode that had Jock Mahoney's wife, Maggie Mahoney, aka Margaret Field, on it and I was stunned to realize she was Sally Field's mom. I then saw her in a really poignant Perry Mason episode, where she rejects her young daughter because she reminds her too much of her late husband. Sally Field's recent memoir recounts being sexually abused by her stepfather, Jock Mahoney. I was shocked.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Also, earlier this month VCI released Vol. 4 of I Married Joan. It's only 10 additional episodes after Vol. 3 came out in 2014. Still, it's better than nothing.
Yep, I forgot about that one . So we do get the occasional release . And don't forget that CBS MOD has given us The Californians , and How to Marry A Millionaire within the past year or so . They could conceivably release other B and W shows .

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarikatrneha