1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Considering the Lone Ranger release , Waterfront Vol. 2 , I married Joan 5, Public defender , Mr Novack. and these 2 releases , B&W TV isn't totally dead - just wounded a little !

Darby67, bmasters9 and Purple Wig like this.
  2. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Only owning one season of The Donna Reed Show, I'll be sure to grab that one.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I said "slowly" coming to an end. Sometimes death is agonizingly slow. But I stand by my original post from many years ago. We are definitely not on the uptick. Still trending downward, slowly but surely.

Gary "wish I could be more optimistic, but I've always been a realist" O.

4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    LeoA, Professor Echo, GMBurns and 6 others like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'd like to see ClassicFlix step up their game a bit. The releases they've done are quite good and most welcome! I especially appreciate that they seem to focus on more "niche" or "low interest" type titles. Things many of us thought would never see a release.

6. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
  7. Message #3387 of 3388 May 16, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Great news Gary, thanks for sharing it with us. I wasn’t around for the b&w era of tv but I love re-living it though dvd. I own more b&w shows than color, and will be glad to add both seasons of Public Defender to my collection. And will thoroughly enjoy watching them I’m sure.

The b&w era has certainly come to a crawl since the glory days of a decade ago. For me it was the purchase and gradual phase-out of Timeless that really signaled the end. It just isn’t the same without TMG around anymore. I don’t know if they could have stayed in business, but if they had, we might have had a few more classic shows to enjoy. Here’s hoping ClassicFlix can find a few more of their own along the way.

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'm right with you Glenn. When Timeless was up and running (with an owner that loved westerns and was a personal advocate willing to invest in them) it was absolutely great. Those truly were the golden years of b&w TV on DVD. The problem was that what some called a merger between Timeless and Shout Factory was actually, according to those in the know, more of a hostile takeover. And although Shout has kept the "TMG" moniker around for some releases, it's clear that they don't have the same vision for vintage b&w fare that Timeless did. And that is a real shame.

Gary "without a driving force/advocate in high places, these companies don't seem to care for the b&w material I'm most interested in" O. :(