What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Great news Gary, thanks for sharing it with us. I wasn’t around for the b&w era of tv but I love re-living it though dvd. I own more b&w shows than color, and will be glad to add both seasons of Public Defender to my collection. And will thoroughly enjoy watching them I’m sure.

The b&w era has certainly come to a crawl since the glory days of a decade ago. For me it was the purchase and gradual phase-out of Timeless that really signaled the end. It just isn’t the same without TMG around anymore. I don’t know if they could have stayed in business, but if they had, we might have had a few more classic shows to enjoy. Here’s hoping ClassicFlix can find a few more of their own along the way.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The b&w era has certainly come to a crawl since the glory days of a decade ago. For me it was the purchase and gradual phase-out of Timeless that really signaled the end. It just isn’t the same without TMG around anymore. I don’t know if they could have stayed in business, but if they had, we might have had a few more classic shows to enjoy. Here’s hoping ClassicFlix can find a few more of their own along the way.

I'm right with you Glenn. When Timeless was up and running (with an owner that loved westerns and was a personal advocate willing to invest in them) it was absolutely great. Those truly were the golden years of b&w TV on DVD. The problem was that what some called a merger between Timeless and Shout Factory was actually, according to those in the know, more of a hostile takeover. And although Shout has kept the "TMG" moniker around for some releases, it's clear that they don't have the same vision for vintage b&w fare that Timeless did. And that is a real shame.

Gary "without a driving force/advocate in high places, these companies don't seem to care for the b&w material I'm most interested in" O. :(

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'm right with you Glenn. When Timeless was up and running (with an owner that loved westerns and was a personal advocate willing to invest in them) it was absolutely great. Those truly were the golden years of b&w TV on DVD. The problem was that what some called a merger between Timeless and Shout Factory was actually, according to those in the know, more of a hostile takeover. And although Shout has kept the "TMG" moniker around for some releases, it's clear that they don't have the same vision for vintage b&w fare that Timeless did. And that is a real shame.

Gary "without a driving force/advocate in high places, these companies don't seem to care for the b&w material I'm most interested in" O. :(

Gary, if you know - did Mr. Anderson sell TMG because he was getting older and had no one to pass the business along to?

Did Shout buy TMG as a way to essentially put Timeless out of business? Doesn't seem like they were in direct competition. Timeless seemed to be serving a market that no one else was interested in, and was kinda way off to the side, not at all getting in Shout's way.

I don't lose any sleep over Timeless' departure, just every once in a while wonder what coulda been if it was more of a "friendly" takeover. Where the Timeless "division" would still release those old Westerns, only with a little better marketing behind them, and sturdier storage cases. For the first couple of years it seemed like maybe that was the plan, with great releases like The Rebel and the Loner, etc.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary, if you know - did Mr. Anderson sell TMG because he was getting older and had no one to pass the business along to?

Did Shout buy TMG as a way to essentially put Timeless out of business?

I don't know every intimate detail, but what I do know is that it was not described as a friendly merger to me (from someone who does know all the details). It was described as much more of a hostile takeover for the purpose of eliminating competition. All I can say is that I believe my source 100%.

On another note, I want to say again how happy I am with Classicflix bringing the defibrillator, and for CBS actually putting our patient (classic b&w TV on DVD) in a nice room. I think it's a hospice room as opposed to a rehab room, but it's still something. Along those lines, I'm hearing we can look forward to a little more good news from CBS concerning a zany school teacher we all know and love.

Gary "after a fairly sparse winter and spring, finally some decent news" O.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I don't know every intimate detail, but what I do know is that it was not described as a friendly merger to me (from someone who does know all the details). It was described as much more of a hostile takeover for the purpose of eliminating competition. All I can say is that I believe my source 100%.

On another note, I want to say again how happy I am with Classicflix bringing the defibrillator, and for CBS actually putting our patient (classic b&w TV on DVD) in a nice room. I think it's a hospice room as opposed to a rehab room, but it's still something. Along those lines, I'm hearing we can look forward to a little more good news from CBS concerning a zany school teacher we all know and love.

Gary "after a fairly sparse winter and spring, finally some decent news" O.

Thanks Gary, I really appreciate the response.

I now know my mission in life: a “friendly takeover” of ClassicFlix via an infusion of millions of dollars in cash. This will enable them to hire several full-time employees whose purpose will be to obtain rights and music clearances to all our desired classic b&w shows that haven’t been released yet, and then re-master, manufacture and release the product for the dozens of units they will sell.

It’s kinda like when some wealthy graduate endows a professorship at his alma mater. Who says money can’t buy happiness?

Now, where’s that winning lottery ticket I misplaced….

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
It is disappointing that with all the money in Hollywood there isn't one benefactor/fan/public servant willing to throw in some dough to invest in a very low return venture releasing this stuff, or even as a tax write-off. One rich person doing something fun with their money.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Or perhaps these Public Defender releases will whet the appetite of the public and lead to a 2020 Reed Hadley craze along the lines of the 1970's W.C. Fields revival....dorm rooms adorned with posters of Hadley's visage, millennials going gaga over Bart Matthews' progressive bona fides and clamoring for Racket Squad on Blu-ray.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Or perhaps these Public Defender releases will whet the appetite of the public and lead to a 2020 Reed Hadley craze along the lines of the 1970's W.C. Fields revival....dorm rooms adorned with posters of Hadley's visage, millennials going gaga over Bart Matthews' progressive bona fides and clamoring for Racket Squad on Blu-ray.
I saw Reed Hadley on an episode of Green Acres last night . If you ask me, "Reed-mania " has already started!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Quite a list of stars, including many favorites of mine like Teresa Wright. Never seen an episode, but looks like a worthy purchase.

Thanks for posting that news.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Wow , I'm watching an episode of Hondo on a Timeless DVD, and who should pop up? None other than Reed Hadley . He really DID guest star in a lot of episodic TV shows!

I've been meaning to check out Al Adamson's "Brain Of Blood", one of Hadley's last appearances. Adamson is an interesting figure, a lot of his regulars are also in the cast. Another instance of a holdover from a different age entering the grittier exploitation realm. Joking aside, I find Hadley to have a memorable, unique presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks