What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Scientists working on $25 coronavirus test
From CNN's Nick Paton Walsh

Scientists at Oxford University have developed a 30-minute test for COVID-19, which can be done anywhere. The raw materials for it cost about $25.

A team at the Engineering Science Laboratory, working with partner medics in China had an 8 week head-start on developing the test, which uses a mix of chemicals and enzymes which turn from pink to yellow in color in the presence of the virus.

The test has a huge advantage in both its speed, but also because the chemicals only need to be kept at 65°C (or 150°F) for half an hour, which can be done easily in any hospital, or even eventually at home.

While there are hurdles ahead, the test may be able to complete clinical trials in the coming days.

"We have 3 things to do," Professor Zhengfang Cui, who led the team, said. "The first is to get clinical trials. We just started those here at Oxford University Hospital. The second thing is regulatory approval, which is based on the number of tests done.

"The third is to get industry partners to implement large scale manufacture. For that, we need clean rooms and manufacturing facilities. And then we can roll out he product," Zhenfang said, adding that he hoped the steps can be completed in 2 to 4 weeks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michigan just issued a "stay at home" order that goes in effect at midnight. Hell, I've been staying at home for two weeks now. I did take a drive around town without leaving my vehicle today and it was like a ghost town with little traffic.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Michigan just issued a "stay at home" order that goes in effect at midnight. Hell, I've been staying at home for two weeks now. I did take a drive around town without leaving my vehicle today and it was like a ghost town with little traffic.

The opposite here. Crazy busy at the grocery store (shelves nearly empty, the worse Ive seen it) Tons of traffic. I think the "stay at home" order here in Michigan put people in another type of panic mode. At least in my area.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Could just be people trying to buy 2 weeks of groceries before settling in at home.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Mayor Sylvester Turner was holding a news conference on the local affiliates around 1:00 P.M. here in Houston. There was quite a bit of discussion regarding a 'shelter in place' order for Houston or possibly Harris County. I expect it will happen later this week. There will be exemptions for necessities, so I expect trips for groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc. will continue unabated. As Turner pointed out the shelter in place order for Dallas exempts liquor stores amongst other things. (Gotta have your priorities.)

Decided to go to the store today on the assumption that the discussion would trigger a new wave of purchasing. Store was very busy and pretty well stocked. Saw folks with carts full of bottled water which continues to baffle me. Paper towels, toilet paper, cleansers were all depleted. Soups were in short supply. Just about everything else was at somewhat normal levels. Streets on the way to the store while not empty were probably running at about 1/3 of normal for that time of day.

- Walter.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Let’s just say I think anything involving crowds will be dramatically different moving forward. Social distancing will become the new norm to an extent. Not as drastic as it is now but also not as lax as it has been in the last.

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone thinks things will go back to the way they were.

So basically "socially distancing" will be the one drastic change you mention. And with no threat of a wide spreading virus in the future, you think people will remain "on alert" at all times say a year from now, two?
That is truly a "sky is falling" scenario. And it paints a dim picture of the intelligence of humans as a whole!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mayor Sylvester Turner was holding a news conference on the local affiliates around 1:00 P.M. here in Houston. There was quite a bit of discussion regarding a 'shelter in place' order for Houston or possibly Harris County. I expect it will happen later this week. There will be exemptions for necessities, so I expect trips for groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc. will continue unabated. As Turner pointed out the shelter in place order for Dallas exempts liquor stores amongst other things. (Gotta have your priorities.)

Decided to go to the store today on the assumption that the discussion would trigger a new wave of purchasing. Store was very busy and pretty well stocked. Saw folks with carts full of bottled water which continues to baffle me. Paper towels, toilet paper, cleansers were all depleted. Soups were in short supply. Just about everything else was at somewhat normal levels. Streets on the way to the store while not empty were probably running at about 1/3 of normal for that time of day.

- Walter.
I don't understand about the bottled water either, unless, you live in Flint, Michigan. Hell, if you don't trust your water then simply boil it and then place it in the refrigerator. My grandparents and even my parents would freak out about having to pay for bottled water.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We buy bottled water from either Bjs or Costco.

I don’t like water taste in general and SW Florida water is even more awful even with a filter in the fridge dispenser it’s still better in the bottle.

It’s basically less then 8¢ a bottle.
Also we just grab and go when we leave the house.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We buy bottled water from either Bjs or Costco.

I don’t like water taste in general and SW Florida water is even more awful even with a filter in the fridge dispenser it’s still better in the bottle.

It’s basically less then 8¢ a bottle.
Also we just grab and go when we leave the house.
I buy bottled water too, but damn, I will improvise if I had to before going thirsty.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
No threat????

And yes. I do.

Yes, no threat, in the future when either a vaccine has been developed, or the virus will simply run its course and it will no longer exist--like so many other virus that have come, and gone.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, no threat, in the future when either a vaccine has been developed, or the virus will simply run its course and it will no longer exist--like so many other virus that have come, and gone.
Perhaps not of this particular strain, but I’m speaking of other unknown potentially more deadly viruses.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps not of this particular strain, but I’m speaking of other unknown potentially more deadly viruses.

That makes perfect sense, and I think scientists will be working diligently to combat any future life threatening, wide spreading viruses. Some type of vaccine with the groundwork already being set, and studied currently.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, my wife and I went shopping this morning at our local Acme.

They had plenty of stock on everything except toilet paper.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200323.png

(earlier dates available here)

Four additional counties with confirmed cases: Cayuga, Oswego, Otsego, St. Lawrence

157 confirmed fatalities.

Again, there are significant bottlenecks in testing, especially outside the NYC metro area, so the seeming slowdown in the percent change the last few days is probably more indicative of a lack of testing capacity than it is a genuine slowing of the rate of new cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks