What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
They are saying here it is better to do pick up rather than have a take out person who has been to multiple houses come to your door.

On a totally unrelated matter, through a loop hole in the last 3 years, we have had multiple people fleeing the USA come to Canada for asylum. The loop hole is they can’t come through a regular border crossing. They have been allowed to come. Starting yesterday they are being refused entry and forced to return to the US.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
cartoon.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200322.png

(earlier dates available here)

Two additional counties with confirmed cases: Cortland, Madison

114 confirmed fatalities.

Note that the slower percentage change for the last two days is not necessarily reflective of the curve starting to flatten, but rather the fact that New York State doesn't have enough testing kits to keep up with demand as the raw numbers grow.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is so widespread that I suspect many of us here already got it and don't even know it. I got mild irritated lungs for few days, 1-2 weeks ago. Don't know what it was. But they say that for the moment consider that you have it and behave like that with others.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s the point Ive been trying to make. This is a virus that can take up to 14 days before you feel symptoms, and for a lot of people, the symptoms are mild enough that they don’t realize you have it.

Meanwhile, in those 14 days when you have it and don’t feel it yet, you can spread it. And then other people catch it from seemingly healthy people and spread it before they’re sick too.

That’s why we need these shutdowns. Because we simply don’t know who is sick and in all likelihood a great number of us are. It’s not just about making obviously sick people stay home. It’s that a much larger number of people are sick and spreading it and don’t know it yet.

Again, please consider this: you could have gotten it a week ago and you still won’t know for another week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you, Ron. I hope that will make more clear what I’ve been trying to emphasize. That anyone doesn’t “feel sick” today means absolutely nothing.

Here in NYC, hospitals are already overwhelmed. Testing in the city has been shut down except for in hospitals for patients who are showing obvious signs - testing started too late and now it’s too late to contain the spread with just testing. At this point mass testing was causing more harm than good because it was encouraging sick people to stand in line with healthy people and spread the virus further. And what’s particularly scary is that with hospitals out of critical care beds and protective gear, there’s little help available if you get sick, and to add insult to injury, doctors and nurses will be getting sick soon, so we’ll be down much needed personnel. I feel fine and I could be fine. But I could also be sick and not know it yet. And if I am, there’s no help for me.

Don’t look at a map or a list of infections in your area and think “it’s not here yet, I’m fine.” It is in your area, the people near you just aren’t feeling sick yet, and the tests haven’t come back to show the data yet. Don’t mistake low numbers or a lack of numbers as a sign that all is well; it’s merely a sign that we don’t know how bad it is there yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for that, Josh.

We are still less than two weeks away from where Italy is. At least, that is what is being predicted.

A lot of complaints that the Federal Government just isn't prepared for this. Hospitals don't have enough supplies.

I am sure you don't need me to repeat all this. It's been on the news.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My mom and stepdad work as nurses in hospitals here, and my wife’s best friend is an emergency pediatric doctor in Miami.

There is nothing comforting from them. No “it’s not as bad as it seems” or “the coverage is overblown” laments.

When fashion designers are sewing surgical masks, something has gone horribly wrong. For years, manufacturers of essential medical supplies have pushed their production facilities overseas despite warnings from medical professionals that we need to make this stuff here, because if anything happens to international commerce, we’re screwed. And that’s exactly what happened. Most of the materials needed for the masks we need are made in factories in Wuhan, China. So all of that’s been shut down for some time. Others are made in France, but France is limiting the export of vital medical supplies because they’re in desperate need too. This problem didn’t happen overnight; this is the end result of years of poor decision making that will take much longer than a day, a week or a month to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks